Yesterday I was txting back and forth trying to get a recipe for my wife from a friend. For some reason most of her msgs to me won't show up at all. I can see a snippet of her most recent msg on the SMS page that lists all the threads but when you open the thread you only see blank msgs where she sent me something. Screen shots are attached.

Actually, the first couple of times you click on the thread the keyboard comes up with the top half of the screen solid white. On like the third attempt the msg will finally come on up.

This is the first time I have seen this problem. I txt a great deal and it has never happened before and even now it has only happened with this one particular person.

I am using 5.0.0.328. I did shrink it before installing. Do I need to reinstall? Is this a bug?

Alex
    11-25-09 11:37 AM
    Hate to state the obvious, but did you try a simple battery pull to remedy the issue?
    11-25-09 11:39 AM
    I just read about a similar problem...
    Instead of going to your friends sms thread, hit compose sms type out their name so it let's you choose that person, it should bring you to your friends thread and hopefully fix the problem.

Let us know if that works.
    11-25-09 11:48 AM
    The first thing I thought of was the need to reboot the phone. That didn't help at all. I just did an actual battery pull and that made no difference. Still only comes up on the third try and her msgs to me are still blank.
    11-25-09 11:48 AM
    Gil718: Does not help at all. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    11-25-09 11:50 AM
    Was worth a shot
    If you didn't lose any important information from that friend, I would try and just delete all past conversation with that friend try to start fresh maybe...
    11-25-09 11:54 AM
    Something somewhat similar happened to me, and I had to edit the size of my fonts. I'm not sure if that will help you, but it might be worth a shot? It's weird it only happens with that thread though. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!
    11-25-09 12:01 PM
    Changing the font to something smaller or larger than the 8 I set it to made no difference.
    11-25-09 12:04 PM
    Try to search her name and see if all of your messages come up. If they do, see if you can open up the most recent (or any of them, for that matter, and then you might be able to scroll down and read it?).

Deleting the conversation might solve the problem as well, especially since it's only happening with this one person. Or, if the search does show you your text history with her but doesn't fix the problem, you can try to scroll down a bit and delete your older messages (at least I think there's a delete prior option - I'm wondering if you two just have more messages than it can keep track of and fails to load because of it).

If none of that works, yeah, I'd definitely say a reinstall is your best next option.
    11-25-09 03:41 PM
    This is the only thread I have on my phone from this person so can't check how other threads do or don't work. I have been hesitant to delete the thread because I was wanting to be able to test and see what fixed it. I have rare contact with this person so really don't want to start a new thread with her just for this. I have not as yet had the opportunity to re-install the OS. When I find the time to do that I will let you know if that alone fixed it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Alex
    11-28-09 03:39 PM
    This EXACT problem is happening to me as well.
    It only happens with a single contact in my phone. She'll text me and it'll be just like the OP's pictures. Normally I just resort to deleting the entire convo, and have her send the message again, but reword it.

Its really weird. Tried the solutions as well, nothing worked.
    11-28-09 03:59 PM
    I have the same problem........If you turn your divice to Landscape Mode they show up. This is not with all texts some peoples show up on portrate and some don't,just turn on its side a they show up. Hope this helps.
    11-29-09 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD