I ran enterprise activation with our corporate BES server and all has been fine - web surfing is as "normal" as it was with my 8703e activated on the BES.

Then tonight I went to surf a site by clicking on a bookmark and up comes the company "Terms of Use" page as if I had just booted up on the company LAN and clicked the bookmark. You know, that page that makes you click "Accept" on very first time you go out the Internet from within the company Domain or no Internet access? Freaked me out - right there on my BB Storm.

I didn't click "Accept", I just hit Escape and from then on I haven't seen it again.

WTF is going on?
    11-24-08 09:30 PM
    There are pros to using BES, but this is one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of BES. You let your company dictate control of your device.

If they don't like you installing your own programs, they can block you. If they don't want you browing the web, they can block you.

Big brother *is* watching... you
    11-24-08 09:46 PM
    I ran enterprise activation with our corporate BES server and all has been fine - web surfing is as "normal" as it was with my 8703e activated on the BES.

Then tonight I went to surf a site by clicking on a bookmark and up comes the company "Terms of Use" page as if I had just booted up on the company LAN and clicked the bookmark. You know, that page that makes you click "Accept" on very first time you go out the Internet from within the company Domain or no Internet access? Freaked me out - right there on my BB Storm.

I didn't click "Accept", I just hit Escape and from then on I haven't seen it again.

WTF is going on?

from my perspective with working in IT

I would tell you flat out right now I would never connect my "personal device" to a company network. Thats my choice others don't feel the same way.

When you connect to a BES server the IT department controls the device and is often in the agreement policy that you sign when first starting work or when getting computer access.

IT policys and such get pushed to the device.

at the point you join the BES IT takes over... that sums it up.

My opinion is that if you need a device on the company network to do your job have them supply it.
    11-24-08 09:53 PM
    It all makes sense - I just hadn't given this aspect of it any thought and was thinking BES integration was an eamil-specific thing. I figured that my internet access was being conducted outside the BES environment, kinf do like it would be if I wasn't on the BES and pinged a website.

So, a couple of learning points for me -

Is my BB Internet activity actually being slowed down because it is passing through the company firewall and then back out to the Internet as if I were sitting at a PC on the company LAN in the office?

If I wanted to break the BES integration, after having IT remove my BES account, what steps would I need to do on my BB to remove the IT policies, etc.?

Thanks - much appreciated.

Hugh
    11-25-08 10:18 AM
    My IT department told me if I hook up my personal BB to read our company email, etc I would fall under the terms of the company policy.

I said no thanks.
    11-25-08 10:24 AM
    My IT puts a password and a proxy for browser use which slows it down BIG time. They also block the use of the SD card, tethering data, backup to desktop software, the video camera ... they lock it down. I could not live without my corp email though ... This is why I have an iPhone and a Storm!
    11-25-08 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD