Just went down to my car to smoke and thought I'd install the weatherbug app.

Install went fine and when it finished it popped up the usual dialog saying the app had installed correctly and gave me the option to say "OK" to close the dialog or "Run" to run the app.

For some ungodly reason, my brain said to click Run... apparently it didn't like that.. froze my phone...

Did a battery pull and now when it's doing its startup sequence and the hourglass-ish icon is on the screen and the little blue bar is showing the progress on the bottom... well the blue bar gets to about 2/3 of the way full... and just sits there... the hourglass comes on steady for about 5 seconds then disappears for a second or two and comes on steady for 5 seconds..... then repeats indefinitely..

Let that go on for about a minute or two thinking that it might be configuring the new app i loaded or something to that effect.. but after about 5 minutes of the blue status bar being stuck i did another battery pull with the same results...

pulled the battery out and set it aside as i didn't want it just sitting there frozen while trying to load and drain my battery in the process...

I'm going to try to do a restore via the DM when i get home in 4 hours.. hopefully that works... if not.. guess it's as good a time as any to upgrade to .99

I'm using .90 right now, so just want to warn you guys about the dangers of hitting "Run" after you install an app.... might work fine for you.. or it might brick your blackberry..

le sigh
    02-02-09 01:16 AM
    Do you have BB Maps installed? The reason I ask this is because Weatherbug needs BB Maps inorder for it to function properly. Your BB will freeze if you don't have BB Maps installed when you open WB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 01:30 AM
    Do you have BB Maps installed? The reason I ask this is because Weatherbug needs BB Maps inorder for it to function properly. Your BB will freeze if you don't have BB Maps installed when you open WB.

no i don't have that installed... which is why it froze...

which is why it keeps freezing after battery pulls?? so maybe if i just use the DM to install BBMaps it will boot? that is if the handset boots up enough for DM to actually make a connection..

bout to go smoke and i'm going to put the battery back in for the whole 10 minutes i'm down there to see if it will actually come up.... wish me luck
    02-02-09 01:44 AM
    Installing BB Maps will cure the problem. I ran into this problem as well when I got my replacment. I did a device switch on DM but for some reason it did not bring BB Maps over. When I tried to run WeatherBug my phone froze everytime. I installed BB Maps, did a battery pull and has been running flawless *knocking on wood* ever since.
    02-02-09 02:03 AM
    oh yay... just put the battery back in.. put the phone in my pocket and lit a cigarette.. then about 3 or 4 puffs in i pulled the phone out to a dark screen.. pressed a button and viola! she was alive and kicking again and had already turned the screen off due to inactivity..

so then i went to google and searched bbmaps.. went to the blackberry site.. chose download now.. and got a "your device is not compatible with this application" error...

so now to find where to get a version that is compatible with my storm... i'm guessing i'll be able to find that somewhere on these very forums..

off to the search engine i go

and thanks for all the help you two
    02-02-09 02:07 AM
    You can reinstall BB Maps using the App Loader in DM.

02-02-09 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD