We have a How-To forum in the main forum section that covers a variety of topics and problems. There is also another How-To that just started up in the Storm forum.
    I will go check it out. I just know the typical new user goes to the forum of their model and expects to find the answer. I just checked out the How-to forum, looks like some good info, unfortunately most of the threads are 100-200+ replies, which is a lot to wade through to find an easy answer. Quite a lot to digest. Still probably needs to be searched.

Take all the typical questions, provide an answer and a link in one FAQ sticky in the appropriate model's forum, and direct new members to the FAQ.

Just an opinion.
    12-28-08 07:00 PM
    Excuse me? A more exclusive forum. If all the newbies were kicked out some of these 4k plus posters would leave also to find a forum with newbies so they could continue flaming and strutting thier stuff. And while some throw stones at others I would hazard a guess that if we did a search on some of these santamonious posters I'm sure we would find hundreds of posts that were not sermon on the mount material. This is still a great site and I enjoy the occasional humor. I even enjoy reading those that throw stones once in awhile. At the very least it is entertaining and a break from everything else.
    I see no humor in how many KB/S somebody's leak download has or if they are rebooting or not. I call it the "CNN Scroll effect," where generic news rolls on by while the real action is going on above. Unfortunately, there is no way to separate the scroll from the action on a forum.
    12-28-08 07:52 PM
    Most members with 4K posts or more are the most helpful. Yes theres some that are not but for the most part are helpful. Also, the post count has nothing to do with knowledge, and just because you're new to CB doesn't mean you're new to BlackBerry's. Regardless of post count, no member should flame another.
    With all respect CX, because I love the subgroups and the more careful monitoring, it is important to note that a Member's rank is tied directly to the post count. If it isn't relevant, then don't call people experts and addicts for posting garbage.

There are some great contributers here, and some are in fact new to the board, but I personally wouldn't mind paying for a site to reduce the noise. I know I had a rant earlier this week, and several have followed suit in posting.

How about this - a board that requires the members to rate your contributions. If you don't rate a certain level, it is pay per post. Those with the highest rankings, get paid for their contributions. The valuable contributers here would reap the benefits, however small, and there would not be the stupid posts that are starting to frustrate people.

It's almost impossible to search without getting 2 pages of crap these days. Half the responses are threads are questions, with replies telling people to search.

The vicious cycle must end.

Someone said it more eloquently than I did when he said that the board regulars welcomed me back in the day, as a new user. Now it's a welcome to the board and you are stupid because you didn't search before you posted. That would have never happened before November.

Too much success, as this sit has been experiencing in popularity, can be the launching pad to new heights, or the kiss of death.

That said, kudos to the powers-that-be for the much needed improvements. Looking forward to seeing a few more.

MNG
    12-29-08 12:42 AM
    Totally agree with the OP.

And myself while a n00b on this forum board...I am not a BB n00b by any means nor one to the online community mentality. But there comes a point where 27 threads by 27 people complaining about a memory leak or that OS .85 sucks because their camera isn't shooting like a Canon EOS 40D Digital are asinine and counterproductive to the overall "Blackberry Nation" feel or intent of these boards.

Are there quirks, bugs, issues? For a few people? Yes. But most if not ALL of the issues in the exampled 27 threads by 27 people have already been addressed in threads by 27 other people. I have seriously been considering restraint when it comes to visiting this site let alone reading many of the threads on here...but sadly internet rubber-necking takes hold.

/rant
    12-29-08 07:23 AM
    It drive me batshti crazy when I'm looking through a thread like the .85 discussion and I suddenly out of left field see someone reply in the topic with something like "I just got my Storm for xmas and I was wondering how you change the wallpaper. Sorry, bb noob lol"
    I literally want to reach through my screen, grab their storm and throw it against the wall.
    While I agree with your original post to an extent, I think it's clear that you need to relax. The internet is not srs bizness.
    12-29-08 01:57 PM
    Here's where part of the problem comes in. You do a search, and find those 27 threads. You have to wade through all 27 to find the one or two that actually have answers, because the rest are a bunch of tools replying over and over to "use the search" and there's no relative information present.

Maybe merge them, or delete the crap threads that are come across. That's part of the issue with search.

I agree though, yes, use search.
    12-29-08 03:02 PM
    This really the job of a moderator. I am personally guilty of adding useless smart *** comments for my own personal entertainment sometimes, but the rant/rave forum should be no-holds barred, and the moderator should heavily police the actual Help boards.
    12-29-08 03:56 PM
    Here's where part of the problem comes in. You do a search, and find those 27 threads. You have to wade through all 27 to find the one or two that actually have answers, because the rest are a bunch of tools replying over and over to "use the search" and there's no relative information present.

Maybe merge them, or delete the crap threads that are come across. That's part of the issue with search.

I agree though, yes, use search.
    Right, so in that after one searches the 27 threads and then makes one of their own, a mod should either post a link in that thread directing them to a FAQ thread and lock the "28th thread".
    12-29-08 05:23 PM
    Geese, now I am really"ascared " to ask a dumb question for the fear of being a in "PITA' group.
    12-29-08 05:38 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD