I just downloaded it and I dig it! It works almost exactly like the iPhone version that it's a clone of.

Here are my Pros and Cons so far

PROS
    1) Super responsive, didn't notice any lag
    2) Fast paced game play
    3) Nice graphics
    4) Addicting!

CONS
    1) Not the smallest app (1.8 mb...not huge but if you're trying to conserve space you may think twice)
    2) No music or sound effects (the iPhone version has both)
    3) Limited "settings menu" (when you click settings a dialogue box pops up asking if you want to reset all stats. No other options.)
    4) At $4.99 (Retail price $9.99) it's a bit pricey.

Overall I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.
    Last edited by miken1; 04-26-09 at 11:26 AM.
    04-26-09 10:28 AM
    Yeah, need a review, is it decent? And what's the price point, (without me having to go check =P )
    It's $4.99 until May 3rd, when it goes back up to $9.99. I'd like a review too. How is it?
    04-26-09 10:29 AM
    Bah, too big of an app for me, I'm having memory issues as is
    04-26-09 10:30 AM
    I'm not paying for more than 1.99 for any game - and even that is a HUGE maybe.

The fact they are charging 10x the price it cost for the Iphone infuriates me to no end.
    04-26-09 10:53 AM
    I'm not paying for more than 1.99 for any game - and even that is a HUGE maybe.

The fact they are charging 10x the price it cost for the Iphone infuriates me to no end.
    Yeah, I wasn't the happiest about that either...but my friend had the iPhone version and hooked me on it so I had to get it and try it out.
    04-26-09 10:56 AM
    Thanks for posting the Pros and Cons. Overall, we agree with the list

- If we want nicer apps for the Storm, they are going to use more memory. It is very common on the iPhone to have 10MB games. Flight Control is 6.7MB

- Not including any music or sound was a difficult choice. Did not want to make the project even bigger. But the main problem was that there is a bug on the .75 version of the Storm OS where the sound can only be heard with a headset. Also, BlackBerry devices are unable to play 2 different sounds at the same time.

- Concerning the pricing, we will consider it leaving it $4.99

- More updates will come will new types of planes and more scenes.

- Settings will get improved to add "weather" conditions.

If you have any suggestion on the game or request for improvements, please let us know!

thank you,
    -the mobigloo team
    04-26-09 11:05 AM

- If we want nicer apps for the Storm, they are going to use more memory. It is very common on the iPhone to have 10MB games. Flight Control is 6.7MB

- Not including any music or sound was a difficult choice. Did not want to make the project even bigger. But the main problem was that there is a bug on the .75 version of the Storm OS where the sound can only be heard with a headset. Also, BlackBerry devices are unable to play 2 different sounds at the same time.

If you have any suggestion on the game or request for improvements, please let us know!

thank you,
    -the mobigloo team
    I do agree with your statement about better apps need more memory, I had just pointed out the size for people worried about that sort of thing. So I guess the 1.8 mb size of the download is expanded to 6.7 mb when it actually installs?

Also, will the updates be free for current users? (I'm assuming they will be but just asking to make sure)

Thanks for making this game! I'm hooked!
    Last edited by miken1; 04-26-09 at 11:19 AM.
    04-26-09 11:15 AM
    No the game is using 1.8MB and this is all it takes in memory.

Yes, all future updates will be available at no costs to existing users.
    04-26-09 11:22 AM

thank you,
    -the mobigloo team
    I'm glad to see you respond to the issues with it.

If I may ask, why is there such a huge price difference? I was considering buying the game until I seen the $4 difference ($4 now, $9 when not on sale)

You have already done the design work. All that was needed was the programing to the new phone. I just don't get it.

As I said earlier - the game looks great. But I wouldn't even consider purchasing it for anything over 1.99, realistically it shouldn't be over .99.
    04-26-09 11:30 AM
    As I said earlier - the game looks great. But I wouldn't even consider purchasing it for anything over 1.99, realistically it shouldn't be over .99.
    Hit us up with the links for your sweet .99cent apps that you've developed...thanks.

as for ATC, it looks like another great looking game for the storm, thank you!
    04-26-09 11:39 AM
    You have already done the design work. All that was needed was the programing to the new phone. I just don't get it.
    Actually, Flight Control for the iPhone was developed by Firemint: Flight Control - A game for iPhone and iPod Touch

Mobigloo had to develop this entire game from scratch. They went a step further then the iPhone version and made better graphics as well as two levels (iPhone has only one) and are now going to add even more levels and weather at no extra cost. This is beginning to look more and more like a "must buy" at $4.99
    Last edited by miken1; 04-26-09 at 11:48 AM.
    04-26-09 11:43 AM
    I would probably buy it. It looks addicting. No trial for now though right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-09 12:03 PM
    Not complaining about the size, looks like a fun game, but the Storm has nothing on the Iphone for memory managment, and with only ~30 mb of app space, I can't afford to be losing a meg when I leak it all out in a day anyway.
    04-26-09 12:15 PM
    Not complaining about the size, looks like a fun game, but the Storm has nothing on the Iphone for memory managment, and with only ~30 mb of app space, I can't afford to be losing a meg when I leak it all out in a day anyway.
    Not to thread-jack this too much but there's a rumor floating around that in future OS builds we may have the ability to partition off part of the mini SD card in order to use it for app memory.
    04-26-09 12:33 PM
    I'm addicted now...yep
    04-26-09 01:44 PM
    Hit us up with the links for your sweet .99cent apps that you've developed...thanks.

as for ATC, it looks like another great looking game for the storm, thank you!
    You're a moron and completely miss the point. Now hush up and let the grown-ups talk.

Actually, Flight Control for the iPhone was developed by Firemint: Flight Control - A game for iPhone and iPod Touch

Mobigloo had to develop this entire game from scratch. They went a step further then the iPhone version and made better graphics as well as two levels (iPhone has only one) and are now going to add even more levels and weather at no extra cost. This is beginning to look more and more like a "must buy" at $4.99
    Ahh my mistake. I don't know why, but I was thinking it was the same developer.

The fact they said they would consider keeping it 4.99 is a good start - but still a bit pricey. Although, it does seem like a solid game.

Either way, thanks!
    Last edited by drdingo; 04-26-09 at 04:09 PM.
    04-26-09 04:06 PM
    Yeah I agree, these prices are simply too high. I bought bubble army, 3.99, because I was able to try it first. Its a fun game and I like it. For a developer to copy someone elses idea, add a couple features and charge five time as much just doesn't seem right.
    04-26-09 04:33 PM
    Yeah I agree, these prices are simply too high. I bought bubble army, 3.99, because I was able to try it first. Its a fun game and I like it. For a developer to copy someone elses idea, add a couple features and charge five time as much just doesn't seem right.
    The reason why app prices for the Storm are higher than apps for the iPhone is because there's a HUGE demand for iPhone apps. Apple just hit a billion downloads in the app store. That's HUGE. There's way less demand for blackberry apps so in order to not go broke making apps, developers have to charge a bit more. I have no doubt that if the Storm and the App World really take off we'll see a big drop in prices. RIM wants nothing more than to eat away at Apple's corner of the market
    04-26-09 04:51 PM
    There are a few reasons why the iPhone apps are so cheap.

1. Almost every iphone app will get like 100k downloads. 1$ a pop that's 100k. A blackberry app though will only get like 10-15k downloads. So developers have to increase the price to turn a profit. Keep in mind that's not 10-15k in a month that's usually for the life of the application.

2. Supply and Demand. Almost every single app on the iPhone has 10 different version made my developers. If one cost 5$ and the other cost 1$ which one are you going to buy?

I think people forget that some of us developers do this full time and depend on app sales to provide for our families. 5$ for a game that will bring you endless entertainment isn't bad at all. You can't even go to a 2 hour movie for 5$.

You paid for a 200$-500$ phone (depending on the deal you got), and 70-120$ a month for the bill, but you complain about buying a 5$ game?

That's like saying I just bought a 60,000$ corvette but 50$ for a tank of gas forget that. They better lower their prices or I wont buy gas.
    04-26-09 05:09 PM
    Well said DMG

Cheers to the developers!
    04-26-09 05:11 PM
    I bought this. Great game, but I would say worth about 3 bucks tops! At that price I am sure mobigloo could get a ton more customers.
    04-26-09 05:49 PM
    There are a few reasons why the iPhone apps are so cheap.

1. Almost every iphone app will get like 100k downloads. 1$ a pop that's 100k. A blackberry app though will only get like 10-15k downloads. So developers have to increase the price to turn a profit. Keep in mind that's not 10-15k in a month that's usually for the life of the application.

2. Supply and Demand. Almost every single app on the iPhone has 10 different version made my developers. If one cost 5$ and the other cost 1$ which one are you going to buy?

I think people forget that some of us developers do this full time and depend on app sales to provide for our families. 5$ for a game that will bring you endless entertainment isn't bad at all. You can't even go to a 2 hour movie for 5$.

You paid for a 200$-500$ phone (depending on the deal you got), and 70-120$ a month for the bill, but you complain about buying a 5$ game?

That's like saying I just bought a 60,000$ corvette but 50$ for a tank of gas forget that. They better lower their prices or I wont buy gas.
    No offense, but banking your survival on blackberry apps just doesn�t seem like a very good idea to me. I�m a mechie, but I have comp sci friends who may start making apps for practice and some pocket cash. The fact that the majority of bb users are unaware of app world existing until a Verizon rep tells them would make me a little nervous if apps were my main source of income. Onto your analogy, it�s fundamentally flawed. Putting a game on your storm is like putting Chevy logo valve caps on your corvette. Yeah they look cool and they add a nice touch, but after the initial wow factor wears off you tend to forget about it. Whenever I put games on my phones I�ll use them for maybe a week, and after that it�s pretty sporadic. How many games do people really buy, when they are only used when there is no better way to pass the time? If it were a buck I would probably pick it up, but for five dollars I would rather have a foot long.
    04-26-09 06:55 PM
    No offense, but banking your survival on blackberry apps just doesn�t seem like a very good idea to me. I�m a mechie, but I have comp sci friends who may start making apps for practice and some pocket cash. The fact that the majority of bb users are unaware of app world existing until a Verizon rep tells them would make me a little nervous if apps were my main source of income. Onto your analogy, it�s fundamentally flawed. Putting a game on your storm is like putting Chevy logo valve caps on your corvette. Yeah they look cool and they add a nice touch, but after the initial wow factor wears off you tend to forget about it. Whenever I put games on my phones I�ll use them for maybe a week, and after that it�s pretty sporadic. How many games do people really buy, when they are only used when there is no better way to pass the time? If it were a buck I would probably pick it up, but for five dollars I would rather have a foot long.
    Well with that theory it's not smart to be self employed. I've been coding websites, programs and apps for 5 years now and haven't had to wake up at 8am to go to work. While the pay is sporadic some months it's usually constant. Not to mention that on the good months I make 4 times what my buddies make with a normal 9-5. All this money isn't made by BB apps though.

I'm not sure about everyone, but I play the same handful of games over and over again daily. So maybe you lose interest in games after a week, that's not the developers fault. They shouldn't have to lower their price because you only want to use it for a week. I liked my car a lot more when I first bought it, but I can't demand the car company lower their price.

With that being said I will admit some apps are overpriced. Some developers need to step back and look at what their app offers and see if it's worth what they are charging. This flight control app isn't one of those though.
    04-26-09 07:10 PM
    Not to thread-jack this too much but there's a rumor floating around that in future OS builds we may have the ability to partition off part of the mini SD card in order to use it for app memory.
    Where did you here that?
    04-26-09 07:40 PM
    Where did you here that?
    It's been a rumor for a little bit now. Nothing official though, as of yet.
    04-26-09 07:41 PM
121 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD