1. Laren's Avatar
    I just spilled an entire glass of water on my Storm.

    I pulled the battery almost immediately, it was bone dry as were the internal components underneath the back panel- I had an iSkin on and a screen protector, but I am certain some liquid must have gotten under the screen, as prior to pulling the battery the touch screen was not very responsive (the calibration was extremely off).

    With the battery removed from the device and the back panel still on, I put the entire device in a bowl of rice.

    What else can I do? How long should I leave it there?

    And am I completely and utterly ****ed on getting a replacement if this one is ruined?
    Last edited by Laren; 11-15-09 at 02:10 AM.
    11-15-09 02:07 AM
  2. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar
    min 3 days, changing the rice every day. also a good idea to change the battery just to be on the safe side.
    11-15-09 02:09 AM
  3. gettat2d's Avatar
    I read something about doing an alcohol soak then rice. It gets the minerals that cause cross conducting brought in by water of the circuit boards. I have done it with automotive computers with 95% success.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 08:13 AM
  4. rweddy's Avatar
    I just spilled an entire glass of water on my Storm.

    I pulled the battery almost immediately, it was bone dry as were the internal components underneath the back panel- I had an iSkin on and a screen protector, but I am certain some liquid must have gotten under the screen, as prior to pulling the battery the touch screen was not very responsive (the calibration was extremely off).

    With the battery removed from the device and the back panel still on, I put the entire device in a bowl of rice.

    What else can I do? How long should I leave it there?

    And am I completely and utterly ****ed on getting a replacement if this one is ruined?
    Another great way to get it dry is to sit it on a air conditioning vent with the AC on, AC pulls the water vapor out of the air. If you can get a small in room type unit, turn it on full cold and set it directly over the airflow for several hours.
    11-15-09 08:27 AM
  5. an_icon#CB's Avatar
    if u have insurance you just gotta pay $50 and a new one the next day happened to me 2 weeks ago. I dont think it will work again.
    11-15-09 06:45 PM
  6. Leftlane's Avatar
    I havnt had it happen to my storm, but my daughter did fall in the river with her LG Dare in her pocket. As you can imagine it wasnt just a bit damp, he rphone was dripping. Battery out and door on, into a bag of rice it went. Two days later phone turned on and back to its old self and still working without any problems a year later. If it doesnt work for you and you have no insurance the carrier will most likly laugh at you. If it is insured, $50 gets you a replacement! Good luck!
    11-15-09 07:18 PM
  7. hairball45's Avatar
    The rice seems to be a good idea. If you decide to clean electronics in alcohol be sure to use industrial grade isopropol. The stuff in the medicine cabinet is NOT suited, it has too much water in it. (30% if what's in my house is typical) I use isopropol that is I think is 97% pure to clean circuitry at work. If you could find a dessicant pak or 10 that would be a good thing to put with a swimming phone.
    11-15-09 08:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD