02-18-09 05:05 PM
46 12
tools
    Hey all, this is not a specific storm issue, its not an issue at all but something some of you should know.

If you connect to your corporate/enterprise email server at work to get work email. (your company has a BES Server)

Your company admin/bosses can see all your calls, their lengths, missed calls, who they were to and from, your sms log and your pim log.

I just installed BES for myself on my exchange, and since i admin it myself i was looking through soem of the logs and was surprised to see all this info is in the logs.

I know alot of you use your company email, but dont know if you know this.
    11-25-08 01:57 AM
    This should be a given for anyone that is on BES. And even for BIS users, never assume anything on your phone is private. Especially text messages.
    11-25-08 02:11 AM
    yupp , there used to be away around this , let me see if i can do it on the storm
    11-25-08 02:14 AM
    well i would think my email could be monitored, but i think most people would not expect that your call logs are also stored on your companies servers.
    11-25-08 02:15 AM
    Yes, you're right, I'm an admin too. But, to be honest, I have 80 users to manage. But, who wants to sit there and check logs, and logs, just because?

Now, yes, if there is an issue you're trying to fix, you might have to check logs; but otherwise, what's the point...
    11-25-08 02:46 AM
    I was a BES admin for 50+ users and yes we can see and restrict a lot so don't make us mad
    11-25-08 02:50 AM
    It almost sounds like I'm not doing a good job. I have BES restricted, so they can't just install anything. Albeit, I don't particularly care about call logs, i.e. who they call, or pin messages for that matter. Again, I don't care what they say during a pin message...
    11-25-08 03:17 AM
    Yes, you're right, I'm an admin too. But, to be honest, I have 80 users to manage. But, who wants to sit there and check logs, and logs, just because?

Now, yes, if there is an issue you're trying to fix, you might have to check logs; but otherwise, what's the point...
    this is often the truth... typically speaking in the same situation you are is that the only time I have ever gone back to logs is when I was forced to by company policy or when helping fix a problem that the user designated. Most the time we go into things when fixing a problem that you have declared or protecting sensitive data. With the number of emails and other things that go through the network IT doesn't typically just sit down and start reading them.

You do sign a waver in most company that states that it is there data so if you plan on doing your personal things through there computers then yes they can see it.

However it is my strong recommendation that you do NOT put your personal device on a company network. Its just not the smart thing to do. If you absolutely need to be on your company's network have them get you something that will allow you to do your job.

When you connect to a corporate BES server you definitely play by IT rules. They have policys and are securing there network.
    11-25-08 03:21 AM
    It almost sounds like I'm not doing a good job. I have BES restricted, so they can't just install anything. Albeit, I don't particularly care about call logs, i.e. who they call, or pin messages for that matter. Again, I don't care what they say during a pin message...
    Thats about right =)

the only time its a problem is if it has something to do with the security of the data on a network such as things like a NDA or something like that I guess

and also when they are having problems.. and even when they are having problems you would rarely even read the exact message being sent.
    11-25-08 03:28 AM
    true about using logs for debugging etc. but it also makes your boss have the ability to go to the bes admin and say "tell me how many personal calls joe makes during business hours when he is supposed to be on support calls, etc.....

this is just a fyi, cause people i know that use corporate email on their blackberry think they are just getting/sending email, not realizing the admin has complete control over their phone, etc.
    11-25-08 04:37 AM
    true about using logs for debugging etc. but it also makes your boss have the ability to go to the bes admin and say "tell me how many personal calls joe makes during business hours when he is supposed to be on support calls, etc.....

this is just a fyi, cause people i know that use corporate email on their blackberry think they are just getting/sending email, not realizing the admin has complete control over their phone, etc.
    Yes this is true that's why up above I suggested that people not even put there personal stuff on a corporate network

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-08 05:13 AM
    just out of curiosity is that the case with a Win Mo device using activesync or does that not have that type of capability? We don't have BES at the office and there is no way we will get one. I am sticking with the Storm and using the Wi-Fi in my xv6800 and my laptop to keep up with e-mail.
    11-25-08 05:16 AM
    Let me be sure that I understand all of this...I have my own personal BB. My work email (only) is routed to it through BES. Is it possible to obtain call logs and/or PIN message logs from my phone? I understand the IT issues and disclosure issues associated with what I do on the work email, but wouldn't the rest of it be considered private since I foot the bill for my phone service? I've always understood that PIN messages weren't logged.
    ...and before I get blasted, I did search and couldn't find an answer on this particular problem.
    11-25-08 08:30 AM
    Who cares.
    11-25-08 08:48 AM
    Let me be sure that I understand all of this...I have my own personal BB. My work email (only) is routed to it through BES. Is it possible to obtain call logs and/or PIN message logs from my phone? I understand the IT issues and disclosure issues associated with what I do on the work email, but wouldn't the rest of it be considered private since I foot the bill for my phone service? I've always understood that PIN messages weren't logged.
    ...and before I get blasted, I did search and couldn't find an answer on this particular problem.
    Not sure about PIN messages but if you are connected to BES they can see it all if they want.
    11-25-08 12:01 PM
    PIN messages are logged also. =)

I manage 2 BES's with 2500+ users on each one. =(
    11-25-08 12:03 PM
    PIN messages are logged also. =)

I manage 2 BES's with 2500+ users on each one. =(
    I figured, I had just never looked since no one really uses PINs at my company. I used to wear a t-shirt to work that said "I read your emails". HAHA.

Who cares.
    Thanks for the great insight. Apparently you care enough to troll...
    11-25-08 12:06 PM
    im not on a BES but is there anyway to get around this besides for carrying two phones? Any options anywhere from the users end?
    11-25-08 12:15 PM
    im not on a BES but is there anyway to get around this besides for carrying two phones? Any options anywhere from the users end?
    Nope. Once you are connected they have access.
    11-25-08 12:19 PM
    You can delete the IT policy but BES has a timed interval to resend the policy.. it can be every 5 minutes to every 24 hours..either way, it will get sent.

My advice.. if you have a personal BB, stay away from a BES.
    11-25-08 01:35 PM
    Does that mean they can see all the pR0n sites I visit on my BB??

Damn, can't a brother get 2.5 - 3 minutes of alone time anymore?!
    11-25-08 01:43 PM

LOL Bahahahahaaa!
    11-25-08 01:49 PM
    BES is built to keep users from doing idiotic things, as is 95% of IT policies do. If you really think boss' and IT people have nothing better to do than read your boring sms, email, and PIN messages, you've got bigger issues to worry about than.

i never understand why people are surprised that things are monitored when your company is paying you to work.
    11-25-08 01:50 PM
    What about Gtalk? - my guess is no?
    What about pictures or videos on the media card? - my guess is maybe?
    11-25-08 01:51 PM

I can see what URL's you go to, and how many time's you go to them.. along with the top URL's you visit. =)
    11-25-08 01:52 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD