If i went to a website such as colorwarepc.com to get my storm painted, would it void my warranty even if i am paying the $6 a month fee for insurance?
    05-17-09 11:02 AM
    It would void your warranty, so if something happened that was a manufacture defect like the phone not working no more, or dust under the screen, or clicking problem, then you would not be covered because to paint the phone it would have to be taken apart.

Also to do an insurance claim, you would have to claim the phone "lost" or "stolen" in order to get them to replace it I'd imagine.
    05-17-09 11:15 AM
    If i went to a website such as colorwarepc.com to get my storm painted, would it void my warranty even if i am paying the $6 a month fee for insurance?
    What are you trying to get painted? Just the battery cover or the whole phone? I don't see where it would void your warranty, however if you needed a replacement you will lose your paint job unless you do the insurance claim. I don't know how much it costs to get the phone painted but there would be a $50 claim for the insurance and you can always state that your phone got lost then do the case swap to keep the paint job if it is that important to you.
    05-17-09 11:17 AM
    The paint is directly on the phone. It isn't a case or anything

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 11:20 AM
    It would void your warranty, so if something happened that was a manufacture defect like the phone not working no more, or dust under the screen, or clicking problem, then you would not be covered because to paint the phone it would have to be taken apart.

Also to do an insurance claim, you would have to claim the phone "lost" or "stolen" in order to get them to replace it I'd imagine.
    They would have to be able to prove that the paint on the phone caused the phone to fail. I dealt with this on a regular basis in the automotive world with bolt on performance parts only voiding portions of the warranty. And we had to prove that the performance part was the cause of a component failure. There is a whole court case over these things. I can't remember the name of the case right now though.
    05-17-09 11:20 AM
    So if I got it paited and then the phone broke, in order for it to void the warranty is if they could prove that the paint caused the phone to break

05-17-09 02:33 PM
    It would definitely void the warrenty. I think it even states that on the colorware web site somewhere from what I remember. And if you do have to get your phone replaced, colorware won't redo the new one for free. I think you should go somewhere else and just have a case painted like becky mae
    05-17-09 02:39 PM
    Take it however you want to, but this comes right from the FAQ section on the Colorware website:

Q: Does the coloring process affect any existing warranty I may have on my product?

A: As far as we understand other companies� policies our color customization typically voids the original manufacturer�s warranty. If you purchase a new product from ColorWare we do include a 1 year parts and labor warranty that covers the coloring and hardware of the product. With a new product you also have the choice to upgrade to a two year warranty. If you choose to send in a product under the Send In Mine service ColorWare includes a 30 day parts and 1 year labor warranty covering the coloring and hardware of that product. There are no warranty upgrades available with the Send in Mine service.
    05-17-09 02:41 PM
    So if I got it paited and then the phone broke, in order for it to void the warranty is if they could prove that the paint caused the phone to break

05-17-09 03:49 PM

Using my previous analogy yes they would have to prove that the paint was the reason the the phone stopped performing as it would have out of the box. My suggestion is to read the warranty guidelines as they are stated in the box.
    05-17-09 04:16 PM
    If you disassemble the device, which is required to paint it, you void your warranty, period. There is no need to prove that the disassembly caused the malfunction.
    The bolt on parts is not a good analogy for this. This would be more like taking the engine apart to put in a performance cam, which DOES void your auto warranty.
    05-17-09 04:34 PM
    If you disassemble the device, which is required to paint it, you void your warranty, period. There is no need to prove that the disassembly caused the malfunction.
    The bolt on parts is not a good analogy for this. This would be more like taking the engine apart to put in a performance cam, which DOES void your auto warranty.
    Correct. This was just written about in a blog on CIO. Here is the link:

Colorware for BlackBerry Bold

He specifically states that the warranty is voided because the phone has to be disassembled. Read the whole blog... he mentions lots of things to think about before going with Colorware-- good and bad.
    05-17-09 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD