Blackberry doesn't seem to take it seriously but no matter your settings (at least on a Storm), if someone sends you an email with delivery receipt requested and/or read receipt requested you have a problem.

Delivery receipts are automatically generated by BB and sent back to the sender. This is a security/privacy issue because hackers could validate and know your email address is real.

If they send you an email with a read receipt requested, and you open the email first on your BB (no problem if you open first on your desktop), then the sender will get an email saying that you read their email. You have no control (at least on a Storm (non-entrerprise server environment - may have the same problem there but I can't test it). That means you have no privacy - the sender knows you have read their message.

Setting options on "Send Read Receipts" to NO has no effect. It sends the read receipt anyway.

This may apply to other Blackberry models. I don't know.

If you value your privacy or security I suggest you either:
    1 - change vendors
    2 - complain to BB (although they didn't seem to care when I did)

Good luck - Buyer beware!
    05-05-09 03:12 PM
    But if you have your emails to not accept anything except from people you know, it wouldn't really matter. So, to me your point just became moot. (I just wanted to use that word today)
    05-05-09 04:26 PM
    What email provider are you using? None of my friends or I ever get/receive these read/delivery notification except on desktop corporate email usr.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 04:30 PM
    Btw what does this have to do with OS?

Moot.
    Its just that easy!

05-05-09 04:31 PM
    Moot.
    Its just that easy!

It IS just that easy lol
    05-05-09 04:43 PM
    weiiird

so they have the feature available, but it doesn't work? smells like fish! hopefully they get on that.
    05-05-09 05:53 PM
    Interesting, I just did this and you are indeed correct.
    05-05-09 06:17 PM
    So what if you go into your email options and set it to not send delivery receipts?

Edit: oh reread and saw you tried that.

But I wouldn't go as far as to feel security is completely compromised
    Last edited by gabbott; 05-05-09 at 06:31 PM.
    05-05-09 06:23 PM
    If you set your options to not send a read receipt ...... its still sends it anyway. Do you like your privacy? If not, then the bug isn't a problem.

I like my privacy ... so its a big problem.

How about if your ex sends you an email and knows you have a BB. Whamo -s/he gets confirmation you read his/her email.
    05-05-09 06:29 PM
    If you set your options to not send a read receipt ...... its still sends it anyway. Do you like your privacy? If not, then the bug isn't a problem.

I like my privacy ... so its a big problem.

How about if your ex sends you an email and knows you have a BB. Whamo -s/he gets confirmation you read his/her email.
    Well in that particular situation I think it's almost more entertaining for them to know you got it and then receive no response. But I follow you otherwise.
    05-05-09 06:32 PM
    I'm not on a Storm but have you tried different software? Could be a bug in the version of OS you are running

05-05-09 06:43 PM
    Just tested this on my curve 8330 and a read receipt is not sent when I have the option on my bb to not sent receipts.

I can test it on a pearl as well.

Sounds like it is a bug in the version of OS you are running on your Storm so I wouldn't go ditching blackberries just because of this.

Edit: Just tested on a Pearl 8130 running 4.5.0.131 and that also does not exhibit this behavior.
    Last edited by gabbott; 05-05-09 at 06:54 PM.
    05-05-09 06:51 PM
    Agree - I haven't tested on other BB models, but I have tested on 3 storms each with a diff rev of the Storm OS - and all had the problem. One was the "official" Verizon release and two others were later Crackberry releases (think releases 109 and 114).
    05-05-09 06:59 PM
    Agree - I haven't tested on other BB models, but I have tested on 3 storms each with a diff rev of the Storm OS - and all had the problem. One was the "official" Verizon release and two others were later Crackberry releases (think releases 109 and 114).
    I'm on 132 and it sent a read receipt so add it to the list.
    05-05-09 07:04 PM
    Hmm...i just tried it running .141 and it worked as it should, no auto read receipt sent.
    05-05-09 07:05 PM
    Also tried it with 3 different storms and a curve

Storm 1: .109 Bug Confirmed

Storm 2:.141 No Bug

Storm 3: .132 Bug Confirmed

Curve 8330: No bug
    05-05-09 07:45 PM
    So the issue is sounding like its a bug confined to the storm and it has been fixed in the .141 OS
    05-05-09 07:47 PM
    Tried it on my Storm and and read receipt was sent, my Curve doesn't have this bug. Must be a .132 thing.
    05-05-09 08:09 PM
    Split decision here on .141/5.0 Hybrid.
    Did receive a delivered receipt back but not a message read receipt.
    So I guess I can not use the word of the day. "m00t"
    05-05-09 08:27 PM
    Moot
    Moot

Moot!

05-05-09 08:29 PM
    Good to know read receipts are fixed in 141. Are you running with a Blackberry Enterprise Server? Because it may not occur in that format.

Also what is date of the 141 release? I reported both problems to BB support 2 weeks ago and their response was pretty cavalier. Tried to BS me that it was either an IEEE or IFIP standard (That was a senior tech too). Told them it was BS - so I'd be interested to see if 141 came out in last 2 weeks.

Also does delivered still get sent in 141. Its the first step some hackers/spammers have used to validate you have a real email address. Less of a problem to send to people you know. Again BB didn't even understand delivery messages. There are typically two delivery messages when you send an email with deleivery receipt. One from your own email system saying that the message was delivered to an SMTP server at the destination domain (that just confirms the destination is a valid domain (knowledge can be gotten from any DNS server anyway) and that the destination has a mail server). The second delivery receipt comes from the destination user's email system. You can prevent that delivery message from being sent in any email system I know (i..e outlook) but the BB automatically sends it (at least the Storm does).

It seems 141 still sends the delivery receipts. Do curves etc?
    05-06-09 05:51 AM
    I am using Storm on Verizon .109.

I have no such bug..
    I am Not on Bes
    05-06-09 06:25 AM
    I'm on 132 and it sent a read receipt so add it to the list.
    Ditto ... both .75 and .122 sent read receipts despite configuration on this Storm.
    05-06-09 07:44 AM
    .113 as well.
    05-06-09 07:48 AM
    so i'm still confused as to how the "read/delivery" reciept is OS related vs. BIS/BES related. or even email provider related?
    05-06-09 01:34 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD