Just walked into a vodafone oxford st. and said was looking for 50+ for my company and spoke to a business tarif manager and guess what, he let me play with the storm for a whole 20 minutes.

Some concerns some amazing observations. But simply a real joy to use instead of the iPhone.

Will post my thoughts later as I'm heading to selfridges to get a bite :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 10:40 AM
    That would work assuming the store has the Storm physically in the store. Alot of stores don't physically have them yet.
    11-07-08 10:55 AM
    I can believe your need for food is more important than posting a mini-review.
    11-07-08 11:21 AM
    'There are reports coming in from Central London that Selfridges are now only accepting ration slips for their Foodhall after an escaped Blackberry Stormer munched his way through vast swathes of thier Foodhall leaving behind Apples!'
    Last edited by thehitman; 11-07-08 at 12:49 PM.
    11-07-08 12:43 PM
    lol.... wow im courious too ! tell us ASAP !
    11-07-08 12:46 PM
    Tell me about it, I'm intrigued to find out more, especially if its a model ready to roll off the shelves.
    11-07-08 12:52 PM
    Wow, I know Selfridges is big, but do you think he got lost?? It has been over two hours.
    11-07-08 12:54 PM
    Maybe he had a bit too much Wasabi in the Sushi Bar...
    11-07-08 12:59 PM
    Yo!

Maybe he is chatting someone up about the Storm he just had in his hand.
    11-07-08 01:04 PM
    Ok people iv eaten. :-)

Ryt onto business. the fone physically is nice although the ryte and left side layouts are the same as the new javelin. That mean 3mm jack is on the right above the up and down volume buttons. Also on the same side is the usb (micro) not mini I believe also the right convience key. Urm the size is comparable to the bold slightly longer but very nice.
    the screen was phenomenal. Amazing quality actually. I was impressed

Now onto some of the issues.

The vodafone version I was told clearly was not the final os. Was actually not very responsive. the annoying thing was a lag of a fair few seconds. Also it had this fading thing or effect when loading a application or exiting. I asked the chap and he told me he dosent think the final version will have that.

the whole screen thing is another amazing thing. Its literally pushing it in when selecting an application. I carefully observed the screen and it looked solid and was told by the business manager its supposed to be so. the os is nice and the keyboard in suretype was intresting. I have a bold so I'm not used to using suretype.

The landscape was amazing. Although I felt there was not much space when typing as majority of the screen is taken up understandble by the keyboard.

That's really it for now. Hmmm in all honesty as a current bb user I think this will be a lot more better than the iphone. I tried the keyboard on the iphone and remeber making loads of mistakes only to be told I'd get used to it. On the storm I only made 3 mistakes in 20 mins which is impressive.

the thing with the iphone is the large amount of worldwide hype apple raised which I'm not sure RIM can do. Besides do we really want everyone to have astorm?! Lol

Anyway I'm back at oxford st. Tommorow and going to try to see if I can take some pics and or a video. Any requests for particular videos or pics let me know. PIN me.

Best wishes all.

Over and out! Lol

11-07-08 01:07 PM
    Lol actually I was doin some shoping lol. Sowwwieee all

11-07-08 01:14 PM
    All info is most welcome and much appreciated. Thank you very much emkwan.
    11-07-08 01:20 PM
    Lol hmmm do you guys think I could push the guy to let me record it?! Lol

11-07-08 01:23 PM
    yah thanks good little review ! i just wish some verizon people would get some hands on
    11-07-08 01:25 PM
    Your welcome

11-07-08 02:11 PM
    Thanks for getting the info up for us. I did have a look at a dummy handset earlier in the week and I'm sure the handset isn't quite as wide as the Bold but it may be a couple of mm longer!

I really hope the issues with lag is what is causing the delay and is something that will be rectified. I've got an Orange Bold which I have yet to update but has a couple of minor issues but working fine. I'll be glad to get my Storm, compare the two and then see which one to keep!

Oh, glad to hear you managed to get your shopping done, shame it didn't consist of a Storm...
    11-07-08 03:43 PM
    That d*mn lag! Everywhere I look, they are talking about the friggin' lag. I know that it's not final production, but at this point??? What the h*ll?? Why show the phone then tap and break dance around the lag issue and swear it's not gonna be like that when the phone is actually released? Sheez.

Good review, btw. Thanks.
    11-07-08 04:57 PM
    Many thanks. Dudes wat kinda things wud u like to c if I can take photos and or video.

11-07-08 05:32 PM
    How funny, I just came online to post that I had a hands on with the Storm today at the exactb same Vodafone shop on Oxford street! Small world!

Now here's my brief verdict (it's 3am; I wanna sleep):

Ironically I walked in to sort out a contract for a bold for myself and asked about the storm on the off-chance they had one. What luck! In the 5 mins I got with the storm, my whole perspective on touchscreen phones changed. SurePress is amazing. It is incredible havig tactile feedback. I love it. I noticed no discernible lag (relative to the iPhone or bold under heavy use) - in all honesty I think those who review the storm and complain about lag aren't using the phone properly; flick gestures a la iphone don't work, so don't call lag when you attempt one an it doesn't work! Apple has patented those gestures so RIM use their own. Navigation was easy and typing is incredible. When I left the store I was actually irritated that my iPod touch's screen didn't click when I selected things! SurePress in my opinion is what all touchscreens should be like, but it is obvious that it will be divisive; I already knew from Reading this site how to operate the storm, I'm sure others may find clicking confusing.

Anyway, long story short, F@#K the bold, I am SOLD on the Storm! Believe the hype!
    11-07-08 10:30 PM
    lol intresting!
    02-25-09 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD