Withdrawn unable to delete
    Last edited by jrohland; 03-28-12 at 05:11 PM.
    07-21-10 07:14 AM
    I don't use the web much at all either, though I do wonder if I would use it more if we had a decent browser option.

For me it is:

GPS
    Phone
    Email
    Music streaming
    Tethering
    BBM
    Camera/photos (which it is VERY good at BTW.)
    A game here and there.

I hardly txt at all, I mostly just use the web browser for the CB forums, and while I have FaceBook and such I don't use it much.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 08:57 AM
    Yesterday I helped a child of mine get WiFi setup on the droid X. We also downloaded and installed an update. This was my first in depth exposure to the X. Yawn. What is the big deal?

It got me thinking about why I don't see any need to trade in old faithful (my Storm 2) for the latest wiz-bang gadget. To that end I ran a quick list of what I use my S2 for--in the approximate order:

TXT
    BBM
    eMail
    SportyPal
    Audio books
    Latitude
    Buzz posts (often with pictures from the S2)
    Facebook (often with video shot on the S2)
    Music player (Bluetooth)
    Google Mobile

Notice what is not on the list? Web browsing. While I do some Web, especially in conjunction with Google Mobile, it is not important. Am I quaking in my shoes waiting for OS6 + Webkit? No.

Oh I forgot something. Because of network restrictions at work, I very often send small files from my S2 to colleagues by Bluetooth. Two of them have android phones. Those files only go one direction. Why, because droid phones [apparently] can't send anything but pictures by BT. Lame!
    While I understand your annoyance with people mindless bashing BB and praising Android (in my review, I've noted several of Android's shortcomings, particularly the ones that you yourself have mentioned) I think you're a tad bit too defensive.

Most of the folks who mindlessly bash the BB (notice I haven't, even in my review of the Droid X, I've given BB plenty of praise, highlighting what it does much better than Android) are just trolls anyway, I don't see why you get so worked up about them. They were bashing the BB before the X came out anyway and will continue to do so, it's just the way some people are.

From your list of needs, you'd hate Android (ha you can't even tag photos from your phone when you upload them to Facebook, you're forced to go to their webpage via your computer or Android phone and tag them from there...I hate it...there's an app called Bloo that will let you do it...well it would if it actually worked reliably).

As for your co-workers with Android phones who can't send files via Bluetooth, for the sake of their productivity, there's a free app called Bluetooth File Transfer that will allow them to.

Most folks who mindlessly bash the BB probably have never even used an Android extensively, it has its advantages over BB sure, but there's plenty that the BB simply does better (not gonna go into it in detail as I already did in my review)...like not needing to download a plethora of apps to have my Android do things that my old S2 did right out of the box.
    Last edited by fecurtis; 07-21-10 at 09:37 AM.
    07-21-10 09:35 AM
    Au contraire mon frere. I think it is absolutely fine for anyone to bash BB and/or praise [insert your poison here]. For the sake of having a polite community (ROTFL) I would like to see them do that in the appropriate place.
    This does not rise to the level of praising Judaism on a Muslim forum but it is still unwelcome.

In fact, I googled the problem and recommended BFT to her. So far, she is not comfortable adding apps to her droid. Thanks for the info though.
    I agree that coming in here and commenting on Android alone doesn't belong here, but a lot of S2 owners are curious as they're thinking of upgrading their phone so while it may not appeal to you personally, it appeals to others. A few members have given insight comparing BBOS to Android, and I'm sure it's convinced some to make the jump while convincing others to stick with BB, that was the point of my thread anyway. Compare the two as much as I can so folks can know what to expect based on what they use their device for.

As for your co-worker...why would you get a smartphone if you don't feel comfortable with adding apps to it? That's kinda the biggest advantage of any smartphone, installing apps that can improve productivity that suits your needs (the S2 didn't come with a work out app now did it? but it makes the device more suitable to your personal needs).
    07-21-10 09:53 AM
    to chime in, my primary usage of my S2 consists mostly of (in no particular order):

1. BBM
    2. listening to Pandora
    3. reading news items via several news apps, rather than using the browser
    4. email
    5. phone calls!

I don't need a Droid or iPhone to do those things well, especially since I prefer typing on the SurePress screen, anyway.
    07-21-10 11:52 AM
    Can't we all just get along! There is enough room for all the latest devices and gadgets & the old warhorse.
    07-21-10 12:43 PM
    Thinking of getting the Droid-X and selling it and getting a nice refurb Storm2. i may do this with all my lines and use the difference to pay my cell phone bill. And have my kids re-activate a dumb phone.
    07-21-10 12:46 PM
    The more jumpship, the cheaper storm2 gets. I be more happy to see S2 price drop.
    07-21-10 01:02 PM
    The more jumpship, the cheaper storm2 gets. I be more happy to see S2 price drop.

I never thought of that! Good point, like how the Pre's are FREE?
    07-21-10 01:05 PM
    Pre's ??.........
    07-21-10 01:27 PM
    Sprint's supposed 'iPhone killer' for 2009.

Pre's ??.........
    07-21-10 01:28 PM
    I really hope we hear more concrete info soon about the Storm3. my Storm 2 is already not worth much and I'd like to sell it when the next one drops. I think it will be very hard to sell like the Tour is now. I did however get good money for my Storm 1.

-just a midweek ramble while I countdown the work days to vacation next week-
    07-21-10 02:52 PM
    I really hope we hear more concrete info soon about the Storm3. my Storm 2 is already not worth much and I'd like to sell it when the next one drops. I think it will be very hard to sell like the Tour is now. I did however get good money for my Storm 1.

-just a midweek ramble while I countdown the work days to vacation next week-
    The worst yet to come! I can't imagine... S3 is actually a S2 with more ram and better processor etc.

In worst scenario, S2 will not get OS6!!!

That will be most crap of RIM. But till then.. lets look at the brighter side.
    07-21-10 03:37 PM
    I'll chip in with my usage in a 'sorta' order.

1. SMS
    2. Phone
    3. Facebook
    4. E-mail
    5. Google maps
    6. Viigo (for news)
    7. BiM Active (Exercise app)
    8. BBM (Only speak to a few people on BBM)
    9. Browser (Only really CB)

And there are probably a few more uses and I've not included talking on there either. I love my S2. My wife has an iphone and she loves it. I have a touch and I love it, however I HATE her iphone, particularly when I borrow it to send texts and emails. Typing without suretouch is hard work!
    07-21-10 05:33 PM
    The worst yet to come! I can't imagine... S3 is actually a S2 with more ram and better processor etc.
    what would be wrong with that? The only beef I have with my storm 1 is it's slow, laggy, and doesn't have enough app memory.

They could just take an s2 and double the memory and put in a faster processor and I would be happy. That's all it needs to blow the competition away.
    07-21-10 05:53 PM
    Pre's ??.........
    You haven't ever heard of a Palm Pre? pre plus, pixi plus??
    07-22-10 04:01 PM
    what would be wrong with that? The only beef I have with my storm 1 is it's slow, laggy, and doesn't have enough app memory.

They could just take an s2 and double the memory and put in a faster processor and I would be happy. That's all it needs to blow the competition away.
    Alright everybody!!!! Let's start selling away S2, save some money and prepare to buy S3!!!

Looks like my sig have to change...almost perfect s3?
    07-22-10 04:29 PM
    By order of usage..........

1. sms (heavy heavy usage)
    2. phone (very lite usage)
    3. alarm
    4. games (potty time/waiting in line)
    5. bbm (only have 1 contact)
    6. gps
    7. misc apps

My S2 does these perfectly. When I went over to the (Him)Iphone for a whole 24 hours, it just didn't cut it AT ALL.

But I'll be jumping ship for the slider because I'm on AT&Ts network and would like to take full advantage of 3G.
    07-22-10 07:04 PM
    Here is my list

Personal organizer(task/calendar)
    TXT
    Email
    Surf the web
    Pandora
    PodTrapper(audo books and podcast)
    Read books

I bought my wife the eris for Christmas. Since then I've compared my storm vs her eris.

Sad to say everything I can do on my storm the eris does better. The one advantage my storm had was the SureType technology. Then I installed Swype on her phone and that kicks but over the SureType.

Before I bought her the Eris and actually compared the two phones earnestly I swore up and down that the BBs where the best phone on the market.

Honestly, I can say that anymore. Both the iPhone and the Android OS are getting much much better. And now the hardware is better. The only thing BB have left is security.

So while I'm rocking with my Storm, I also recognize that there are better phones out there. And simply pretending that is not the case doesn't change the facts.

BTW why limit your range with BT, setup a DropBox/SugarSync account and transfer the files that way it's faster and easier.

=X=
    Last edited by _X_; 07-22-10 at 08:25 PM.
    07-22-10 08:05 PM
    Is the Eris a good phone? I have a tour right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-10 09:00 PM
    Everything? OK, BBM me from the eris. Go ahead, I'll wait.... While you may not use BBM, a blanket statement like everything is just not true. The eris may do everything you want to do better (in your opinion), it clearly cannot do everything the BB can do.

Of course there must be some things the eris can do the BB can't but I don't know what those may be.
    You have a point. BBM is a very strong selling feature in consumer land... But one I'm willing to give up.

All I say is, BlackBerry fans should count themself lucky that Apple or Android haven't come out with their own official version of a BBM-type IM... imo it really would be game over for RIM. As lets be honest, BBM is the sole reason why many have not decided to jump.
    07-26-10 06:30 AM
    All I say is, BlackBerry fans should count themself lucky that Apple or Android haven't come out with their own official version of a BBM-type IM... imo it really would be game over for RIM. As lets be honest, BBM is the sole reason why many have not decided to jump.
    BBM is nice, but to imply that RIM would be done for and that it is the sole reason many do not leave RIM is ridiculous. The BB does so many things well and to limit it to BBM is just not fair. If the BB lacks, it is in the memory and browser department. What exactly is so special about Droids or iPhones? They are nice phones and I am not putting them down, I am just not willing to elevate them to a "God-like" status. I know of nothing they can do, other than the two items I already mentioned, that my Storm2 cannot do. It provides excellent phone calls, messaging capabilities, graphics/screen, takes great pictures (pixels aren't everything), multi-tasking, very good media functions, etc., it is a terrific phone with or without BB6.
    07-26-10 11:39 AM
    Everything? OK, BBM me from the eris. Go ahead, I'll wait.... While you may not use BBM, a blanket statement like everything is just not true. The eris may do everything you want to do better (in your opinion), it clearly cannot do everything the BB can do.

Of course there must be some things the eris can do the BB can't but I don't know what those may be.
    Really is that the best you could come up with?
    Well to answer your question Yes it does, it’s called Google Talk. It’s 1/3 the size of BBM, with it I can talk to folks on other BB, Apple, Android, Mac, PC, Linux. And when I’m on my PC, I can continue talking to those same folks since my contact list is synced across platforms. It has cloud backup ability so I can archive conversations to my mail account as well.

You do bring up a good point, a lot of features are based on preference but a lot of features are not. Anybody that keeps an open mind

It’s also true that Fanboys are delusion and full if denial. It always amazing me folks would rather deny or downplay features and products that are truly superior. The sad part is your even more zealot than Apple Fan boys. I’ve seen plenty of reviews, who are hard core Apple iPhone users, who have rated that Drod X and Evo are just as good or even better than the iPhone. Yet you sit here and claim it did not “impress” you. That is hard core denial.
    I love my Storm 1. It’s served me well and was a great phone, but the OS and the phone are dated, and pretending that the phone is just as good makes no sense.
    07-27-10 07:38 PM
    ...I love my Storm 1. It�s served me well and was a great phone, but the OS and the phone are dated, and pretending that the phone is just as good makes no sense.
    I would hope it is "outdated," heck it's almost TWO years old; that's like 50 years in electronic years.
    07-27-10 07:46 PM
    Here's mine:

1.Work e-mail
    2.Calls
    3.Text
    4.Facebook
    5.Private emails
    6.BBM

I know that if I had a faster more friendly browser I will use the internet more, and yeah I have Opera Mini but I still prefer to use my iPod Touch with WiFi for internet browsing...

The more and more I read about the new Droids and I compare them to the current BBs...the more I feel a little bit cheated by RIM...come on! I do not want a toy but I would like to have more memory, a better camera, and a faster browser...if other companies can keep up with the times why can't RIM...again don't get me wrong I love my S2, more than my piece of you know what S1, which RIM used us as an experiment and them give us the middle finger by coming out with the S2...coming March 2011 I will be looking more in depth what my needs and wants are and I'll make my decision then, but so far it seems that around that time the best phones will be Droids...
    07-28-10 02:01 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD