So I didnt get a Storm today unfortunately but I did get a solid 30 minutes of play time. While the one in the store was laggy at times I know that will not be the case after the update. But this thread isnt for that.

All the ads that we've seen have shown transparent icons that you can see the wallpaper through. The demo units and all the pics Ive seen have grayish icons that block the wallpaper. While this is a minor nitpick I think it looks better with the transparent icons.

Does anybody know if we will be able to change to the transparent icons?
    11-21-08 07:10 PM
    mine has transparent icons on the home screen, but solid icons when you go to menu. maybe the display just wasn't exited from menu mode.
    11-21-08 07:14 PM
    mine has transparent icons on the home screen, but solid icons when you go to menu. maybe the display just wasn't exited from menu mode.
    No no, these icons were transparent but they were a dark gray transparent. The icons in the advertisements and the guide have actual glass clear icons.
    11-21-08 07:19 PM
    Those ad images usually have an asterisk and a note attached to that asterisk that says something to the effect of "screen images simulated"

So to quote someone else, "it's a FAAAAAKE!!!"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 07:24 PM
    i got my icons to be transperant by switching my wallpaper to something less dark. i choose the tiger face. this might help you
    11-21-08 08:20 PM
    yeah, i think it might just be the wallpaper that makes it look like the icons are more opaque
    11-21-08 08:28 PM
    Those ad images usually have an asterisk and a note attached to that asterisk that says something to the effect of "screen images simulated"

So to quote someone else, "it's a FAAAAAKE!!!"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It is not the wallpaper as the other post suggests...I changed out the wallpaper to a photo (properly sized for Storm to cover the whole screen) version of the bright sky and the field as in the VZ ad...the icons are more dark grey/opaque and there is a similar border on the top....does anyone know if it is just a photshopped fake view for the ad or can we really get rid of this and make it "clear"
    12-17-08 06:26 PM
    Who frickin' cares. Do you buy a dumb phone for the buttons?
    12-17-08 06:28 PM
    So I didnt get a Storm today unfortunately but I did get a solid 30 minutes of play time. While the one in the store was laggy at times I know that will not be the case after the update. But this thread isnt for that.

All the ads that we've seen have shown transparent icons that you can see the wallpaper through. The demo units and all the pics Ive seen have grayish icons that block the wallpaper. While this is a minor nitpick I think it looks better with the transparent icons.

I have been searching for the cure for this...I want that same appearnce as you suggets, but I have seen nothing to suggest they can be made clear...it looks like they photoshopped the screen for advertising use...
    12-17-08 06:29 PM
    anyone try this?

Options - Advanced Options - Accessibility - Color Contrast - Reverse Contrast
    12-17-08 06:30 PM
    this will come with new themes,,,patience my friend
    12-17-08 06:35 PM
    anyone try this?

Yeah tried this..no go...it makes it look like an x-ray...
    12-17-08 06:35 PM
    anyone try this?

That just inverses all the colors.
    12-17-08 06:36 PM
    anyone try this?

yeah,,,kinda freaky. fun for a little while
    12-17-08 06:36 PM
    It is the wallpaper you use. If you put a pic on your home page that is dark then the icons automatically turn dark and if you put something light then... well you get the picture. I was frustrated with this too and i can't wait until they have a new theme that will change this whole screen! but nevertheless i love the storm and all its quirks. anyway, just put a pic that you took or the tiger or anything that is brightly colored on the bottom of the pic and you will have transparent icons! tada!
    12-17-08 06:46 PM
    I wish my Big Mac looks like the one on TV as well.....sheesh fall for all the advertising do ya??
    12-17-08 06:59 PM
    It is the wallpaper you use. If you put a pic on your home page that is dark then the icons automatically turn dark and if you put something light then... well you get the picture. I was frustrated with this too and i can't wait until they have a new theme that will change this whole screen! but nevertheless i love the storm and all its quirks. anyway, just put a pic that you took or the tiger or anything that is brightly colored on the bottom of the pic and you will have transparent icons! tada!
    ummmm, what? my white background does not effect the icon background color, the background color is still gray.
    12-17-08 10:15 PM
    I think the OP is referring to the top portion of each of the icons. I know that on mine, the top portion of each icon is a darker shade that the rest of the icon. This happens on my phone regardless of the wallpaper I choose. It is a bit annoying. I hope that the icons will eventually appear as completely clear (not "boxed in" as they are now) with OS/theme upgrades.
    12-17-08 11:10 PM
    would be nice to see something like a transparency option. Just for the box area though not for the actual icon in the box.
    12-17-08 11:36 PM
    Are you sure your icons are not in hide mode??!!!
    12-18-08 02:51 AM
    Are you sure your icons are not in hide mode??!!!
    Yeah, do show all icons, and it will display the greyish icons which are the icons you have that are hidden.
    12-18-08 05:23 AM
    yeah,,,kinda freaky. fun for a little while
    I don't know which programmer at RIM decided to waste time and created this useless feature while they could be fixing bugs. Fun at first but who in their insane mind would use this feature in the long term?!
    12-18-08 05:23 AM

As said in a previous response the icons are transparent (not user adjustable) and the effect is dependent on the wallpaper used - lighter makes them more transparent. Size of wallpaper is key also, the pic must be properly sized for portrait not landscape like most computer desktop wallpapers. I experimented a bit resizing in photoshop and depending upon the colors used the icons become quite transparent.
    05-12-09 08:51 PM
    As said in a previous response the icons are transparent (not user adjustable) and the effect is dependent on the wallpaper used - lighter makes them more transparent. Size of wallpaper is key also, the pic must be properly sized for portrait not landscape like most computer desktop wallpapers. I experimented a bit resizing in photoshop and depending upon the colors used the icons become quite transparent.
    I need the Picard face palm here...

Another one hit wonder bringing up the oldies...lol
    05-12-09 08:58 PM
    I need the Picard face palm here...

Another one hit wonder bringing up the oldies...lol
    Someone give me the Vulcan Death Grip NOW.
    05-15-09 06:27 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD