Okay, so I finally get tired of the dust collecting even though I use the RIM sleeve case to carry the Storm in my pockets and I decide to get a replacement by calling Tech Support.

Wow- they come back and tell me that they never heard of this and I should use compressed air to blow it out or bring it to a store to have a tech clean it for me! Even funnier, the dude claims the dust is possibly attracted to the "heat seeking sensors" in the display. Okay... now I know I'm dealing with someone that is clearly not technical in the Technical Support department.

He then goes on to tell me that if I return my current Storm and they find nothing wrong with it, that I will see a charge on my next bill for the full retail value of the replacement!!!!!! What, I ask? "Well, I'm just telling you that if we find your phone is okay then we will charge you because this is not something we normally do for customers", he says.

It took a lot of control to keep my blood from boiling over and me telling him what I thought of his stupid ideas, and prevailed in getting a replacement sent out. I should have politely told them I had something to do and then called back in 10 minutes to work with another "tech".
    12-28-08 11:17 AM
    Call another person, this is a bb wide known issue. It has happened to people with Pearls, Curves, 8800's, and Storms. Just call again, they replaced mine because of dust.
    12-28-08 11:22 AM
    I dont see dust collecting being a tech issue to be honest with you. Using compressed air is probably not a bad idea honestly. If you get a replacement, its probably gonna happen to that one to.
    12-28-08 11:28 AM
    Why would you call and try and get a replacement for dust under the screen. VZW are total bastards!

I say make something else up like the mic is broken and everyone says your voice is muffled. Offer a problem that they cant BS their way out of.
    12-28-08 11:34 AM
    I dont see dust collecting being a tech issue to be honest with you. Using compressed air is probably not a bad idea honestly. If you get a replacement, its probably gonna happen to that one to.
    If you could lift the display up and open two ends such that compressed air would actually create a flow through the cavity, it may move the dust out. What actually happens is you force more dust into the space because you increase the pressure around the gaps with compressed air.

I had this happen with 8700's and RIM disclosed that manufacturing problems were found whereby the seals were incorrectly installed and thus allowed dust to enter the space when the seal was designed to prevent it. They fixed it and sent out replacements. With manufacturing sites all over the globe they have a challenge training assembly personnel and the result is customers getting a defective product after RIM engineering designed them correctly.

Its a defect- dust after 3 weeks? Maybe after one year I can see it as "reasonable".

On the other hand, I've never had dust under the screen of an iPhone, iPod, or Motorola cell phone.
    12-28-08 11:39 AM
    Call back.... I called and they sent me a replacement overnight... the replacement had a pretty scratched up screen so I called and they said...send it back and we'll send you another... well in that time I have demo'd the pull top screen off and wipe clean on the replacement they sent and it went fines so I have completed the task on mine (the one with dust)... works like a charm....

start at top...at corners... be careful there is a double sided black tape around the edge... objective is to leave that on phone as you peel away top screen (might want to use a pin to push tape down as you peel screen back... go slow.

the screen is attached at the bottoms so you can peel it back and it will almost hinge on the ribbon below... compressed air... a little wipe... push back down... really hard on edges where double tape is... good seal here will probably keep future dust out

that's it... pretty simple....
    12-28-08 02:06 PM
    "Heat seeking sensors?" That's awesome, now I can tell my friends my phone has heat seeking sensors and fires missiles!
    12-28-08 04:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD