The other day I forgot I had the phone on my lap, got out of the car and dumped it on the parking lot. Seemed to be fine, then I noticed that the phone and menu buttons no longer worked. I'd been paying the insurance on the phone, so today I took it in to the store I bought it from, the tech looked at it a while, tried a battery pull even though I told him I'd tried that, took it in the back for a while, came back out and said "yep, it's broken. You've got insurance, I'll set you up with a new phone for free. We don't even sell these Storm 1's anymore"

I'd been hearing rumors about vzw running out of old storm 1's, so I was curious what the outcome would be. He took it in the back again for a while, came out and gave me a brand new 9530!!!!!!!! It's great, exactly what I had hoped for.

The vzw rep was going to transfer everything over to the new phone, but I told him to just make sure the phone was activated on the right phone number, because I had done a backup, and had run the device switch wizard before I went in, left it at the point of restoring to the new device until I got back with the new phone. He shook my hand, said I was the first customer he'd ever had that had run a backup.

Now all I need is to work out with Mobihand on the PIN change for a few apps I bought.
    04-24-10 10:51 AM
    I have a feeling you made a typo in the story... did you mean 9550? If not, the story is boring. lol
    04-24-10 10:57 AM
    the story is boring.
    Do people really expect to get free upgrades to Storm 2?
    04-24-10 11:04 AM
    Mobihand was pretty good about changing my PIN and getting my account info reset this week. I had to change my card information, so Customer Support gets a nice thumbs up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-10 11:14 AM
    You sure it wasn't a refurb?
    04-24-10 11:23 AM
    So on an insurance claim they gave you a new/refurb (the difference is trivial to me) one on the spot? I always thought that they made you jump through hoops and had to wait for it to be shipped from asurion or whoever. I have the insurance, too; you would think I would pay attention to that crap. Anyway, I had a glitch on my phone and was less than a month from the warranty running out and they gave me a 'certified replacement' on the spot. It's an amazing phone, I can't believe how much better the screen click is than my old one. I don't really care about getting an S2 now, except maybe for the wifi feature, but unless I am going to be out of the USA again for an extended period I don't care enough to upgrade.
    04-24-10 11:32 AM
    They have gave me a few replacements too due to not charging, screen clicking, and somehow not having a camera cod file. I have insurance through Asurion too, but told them that doesn't the phone carry a 90 warranty on it anyway. They sent me a certified refurb every time. Im sure they don't have any new 9530's coming in from RIM, but it doesn't mean they are short on refurbished phones.
    04-24-10 12:23 PM
    I have a feeling you made a typo in the story... did you mean 9550? If not, the story is boring. lol
    Haha some people have too much time on their hands.

04-24-10 01:03 PM
    My six month old storm took a dump on me as well. No buttons worked or screen. Backed it up and took it to verizon. Rep opened a storage cabinet and pulled out refurbished brown box storm out of a stack of prolly twenty heheehhe. So they got plenty of refurbished storms yet. He activate new one without questions and away I went.

04-24-10 02:59 PM
    I guess that's why the title of the thread is free replacement, not free upgrade

04-24-10 03:22 PM
    Hahahaha

04-24-10 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD