Called Tech support to find out when or if they plan to release the OS 5.0.0.591 for the Storm 9530. According to Tech Support, they have not yet received any new OS releases from Blackberry, and until they do, they won't be able to tell me when they think they'll have it ready for the Storm 9530 on VZW.
    05-05-10 02:36 PM
    I wouldn't expect .591 to be released by Verizon. If they upgrade, it'll likely be a different version as there are too many minor problems with .591 (nothing overly serious but enough minor issues). My guess is that the leak probably came from a different carrier (e.g. Bell) and not Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-10 03:04 PM
    You're probably right. I was just wondering if they were planning any release prior to OS 6.0.

It looks like the answer is no.
    05-05-10 03:40 PM
    Given that they're not planning any release after 6.0, my hope/guess would be yes, they will release at least 1 more.
    05-05-10 03:45 PM
    If at all. Look at the defects in higher builds of 5. I don't think they fix much over .328 without breaking something else. The battery management is pretty bad so may never even clear VZV's lab.

So I guess I am saying what would be the point to VZW? They aren't offering much over.328.

05-05-10 05:19 PM
    It's a discontinued phone VZW ain't gonna spend money testing a new OS for it. You can forget getting an official OS for the Storm 1 from VZW.
    05-05-10 05:24 PM
    It may be a discontinued phone, but Verizon is still making money off it. And right now, they are continuing to make money off it. They've finished subsidizing the cost of the phone and now they're raking the rate plans in. You may think Verizon makes money by getting you to upgrade, but they make more money by getting you to keep paying the same money you're already paying after you've already covered their costs.

Verizon isn't done supporting the phone. But we simply don't know when we can expect something next. And there is a chance an update won't come, but that won't be due to Verizon not testing. It'll be due to Verizon not accepting what they're testing.
    05-05-10 08:19 PM
    You're probably right. I was just wondering if they were planning any release prior to OS 6.0.

It looks like the answer is no.
    The S1 is not (yet) on the supported 6.0 list so we may never see it on our platform.
    05-06-10 07:10 AM
    Why would they release it? I cant go a full day with out a battery pull. And my battery drains fast. really this os sucks. It feels more like an older os build to me
    05-06-10 06:58 PM
    .591 for the Storm 1 was never officially released by RIM. The version available is a leak. Until RIM officially releases an OS no carrier will get it.
    05-07-10 12:24 PM
    How do you know that? Since it came without the internal testing tools, that means it was in the list of OS available to carriers to test. RIM also doesn't officially release OSes. Carriers do.

05-07-10 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD