Ok so i just recently moved up to the Storm (verizon) from the 8330 curve... and i used to know my curve inside and out. WHats the story on the Verizon Storm? what works and what doesn't? What are battery/memory draining programs to avoid? Whats the story on verizons allowances for GPS on the VZW Storm, like what works and what doesn't? Is VZ navigator free on the storm? ... Just please guys any tips, tricks, updates, would be helpful... But i really am interested in the the whole GPS capabilities...

[Sorry for the wall of text]
    04-03-09 05:34 PM
    Response to two questions: The GPS on the Storm is not locked down by Verizon. Google Maps and other programs that utilize the GPS work. VZ Navigator is not free. Garmin also has a similar navigator program for the Storm. It's a one time fee of $79. Here's a link: Garmin for Storm
    04-03-09 05:50 PM
    VZ navigator is not free. However google maps is.

Also look above your post for all of the FAQ and HELP stickies
    04-03-09 05:51 PM
    Thanx much guys... Yeah ive been tryin to sift through all the stickies and threads just to develop a decent over all picture of what its capable of... and yeah, due to time constraints and the inability process whether this or that feature is for my storm or whether its on voda or whatever... but yeah thanx guys.
    04-04-09 01:09 AM
    NAV4ALL IS A FREE TURN BY TURN AUDIBLE GPS... Site has links for both desktop & phone OTA. Go there and Install.

www nav4all com

its pretty accurate. Enjoy.
    04-04-09 01:25 AM
    One thing to point out on VZ Navigator though... there is not one-time fee... it is a str8 up $9.99 /mo (if you live in CA or NV I can give you a month free) and it is has a built-in local search function that can look up phone numbers of businesses in any area you r in. On top of that, you never have to download maps or any other programs, it is all on-demand data pushes. The turn by turn directions are audible, through speakerphone or bluetooth, and the maps also provide an automatic re-routing calculation if you stray off the beaten path, so to speak. Definitely a convenient way to go... just not the free-way is all.
    04-04-09 01:34 AM
    VZW is offering a month free for vzNav right now. I think it's a great program. I use it often to find cheap gas prices.
    04-04-09 03:56 AM
    Ok so i just recently moved up to the Storm (verizon) from the 8330 curve... and i used to know my curve inside and out. WHats the story on the Verizon Storm? what works and what doesn't? What are battery/memory draining programs to avoid? Whats the story on verizons allowances for GPS on the VZW Storm, like what works and what doesn't? Is VZ navigator free on the storm? ... Just please guys any tips, tricks, updates, would be helpful... But i really am interested in the the whole GPS capabilities...

[Sorry for the wall of text]
    The Storm works perfectly fine for me, even though I am still on .75 OS. I have no performance issue whatsoever. A general rule of thumb is NOT to install everything under the sun. Just install the things that you need or want. Try to avoid themes as many of them are memory hogs.

As of VZ Navigator, I just answered another post on that. But I am not going to tell you to go do a search first.

So let me repeat myself one more time (and probably many more to come):

I have VZ Navigator and I love it. The following are some of the features:

1. VZ Nav has voice turn-by-turn navigation.
    2. VZ Nav can navigate you to ANY address on your contact list. There is no need to type in destination address and such feature is extremely convenient if you are on the road.
    3. VZ Nav has "follow me" feature which is very accurate. it literally follows me and shows what street I am driving on and what direction I am heading. When I gets out of the grid, the map redraw is very fast.
    4. VZ Nav can pinpoint me when I am INSIDE an office building.
    5. VZ Nav can help you to avoid traffic jam and find the alternate route.
    6. VZ Nav can provide weather forecast on your location and any location on your contact list. No need for WeatherBug or any other weather app anymore. And no need to type in any address.
    7. VZ Nav can help you find the type of restaurants (e.g. Italian) in the area where you are at now, and navigate you to it.
    8. VZ nav can tell you what movies are showing at a theater in the area where you are at now, and navigate you to it.
    9. VZ Nav uses Assisted GPS and not just plain GPS.
    10. VZ Nav is provided by Verizon Wireless, so they have the home-field-advantage naturally.

VZ Navigator costs $10 a month. But I spend more than $10 each day just for lunch. A couple Starbuck's coffee will cost you more than $10. You cannot get a simple haircut for $10.....I can go on and on but you get the point. The fee is so small that it should not be an issue.

Now, there is pretty much a split on this forum for VZ Navigator and Garmin Mobile. Both apps have a large group of supporters. And both apps have trial periods. Therefore, I strongly suggest you to try them out yourself and make an educated decision yourself. This kind of thing is usually boils down to a matter of personal preference and taste.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by substring; 04-04-09 at 07:58 AM.
    04-04-09 07:56 AM
    NAV4ALL IS A FREE TURN BY TURN AUDIBLE GPS... Site has links for both desktop & phone OTA. Go there and Install.

www nav4all com

I did not see Storm, 9500, 9530 listed on their page. Are you using it with a Storm?

Thank you.
    04-04-09 08:40 AM
    Yupp I'm iang it with the storm just go to nav4all.com from your phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-04-09 09:03 AM
    The VZ navigator is simply awesome and worth $9.99. It's so much more than just nav. Try it for the 30 days.
    04-04-09 09:28 AM
    I have the Garmin mobile for Storm. It cost me $79 one time payment and it has turn by turn directions to anyone on your contact list. It has gas prices by grade, and local search by google.

It also has live traffic updates.

Highly recommend.
    04-04-09 11:48 AM
    One thing to point out on VZ Navigator though... there is not one-time fee... it is a str8 up $9.99 /mo (if you live in CA or NV I can give you a month free) and it is has a built-in local search function that can look up phone numbers of businesses in any area you r in. On top of that, you never have to download maps or any other programs, it is all on-demand data pushes. The turn by turn directions are audible, through speakerphone or bluetooth, and the maps also provide an automatic re-routing calculation if you stray off the beaten path, so to speak. Definitely a convenient way to go... just not the free-way is all.
    Are you really a VZW Techie if so you consistently give out BAD INFO VZ NAV can be purchased on a Daily plan if needed for one day. I know the OP talked about a one-time fee but if you are going to give out info give out the whole deal not just what YOU think......

Point yourself in the right direction with VZ Navigator

With audible turn-by-turn directions, you can locate nearly fourteen million points of interest in the U.S., including landmarks, restaurants and even ATMs. VZ Navigator uses GPS positioning to tell you where you are, what's nearby, and to give you directions - quickly and easily.

$9.99 monthly access
    $2.99 per day (good for 24 hours)

Using audible turn-by-turn directions, you can locate nearly fourteen million points of interest in the U.S.A. such as landmarks, restaurants and ATMs. VZ Navigator uses GPS positioning to tell you where you are, what's near you and to give you directions to places, quickly and easily.

View the VZ Navigator site
    04-04-09 11:58 AM

www nav4all com

I down loaded it but it's not picking up any GPS signal? Is there a fix?
    04-04-09 12:25 PM
    Is your gps set to e911 only????
    04-04-09 12:26 PM
    I down loaded it but it's not picking up any GPS signal? Is there a fix?
    Yes, make sure your GPS antenna is on. It's in Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS (it may be set to "Off" or "E911 Only")

I can usually get a fix on 11 satellites in less than 15 seconds. The GPS is awesome on the Storm. Oh, if you don't like paying for your GPS (like me) the BB Maps app is also free and is already installed.

Enjoy!
    04-04-09 12:29 PM
    reinstalling now give it a minute

on the reinstall it asked for permissions
    04-04-09 12:36 PM
    VZ Nav trully is worth it. And whats nice about it is, if anything happens give VZW a call.

When my nav went down during a cross country trip.

The VZW rep found my location and gave me directions in an email from where I was to my final destination.

<3 it.
    04-04-09 12:41 PM
    Thanks guys! My gps was shut off!
    04-04-09 12:44 PM
    How do I erase all messages at once? I know the two finger highlight trick but it only works on whats visible, I think. Any body have a clue?
    04-04-09 12:58 PM
    I believe that if you have a premium talk/text minute plan VZ Nav is free for as long as you have a premium plan. I believe it says so on the verizon web site.

04-04-09 01:03 PM
    I used Garmin for years on my WinMo phones. It was quite a good program, but it had it's limitations. The biggest 2 were having to but map updates every year and $100 a pop and it not being transferable if you upgraded your phone. If you upgrade you're looking at another $100 to buy the program again.
    The other limitations were things like not being able to send place messages if you were meeting someone.
    Also, if your phone is replaced under warranty you have to jump through hoops to get them to allow you to install it on your new phone. If your phone is destroyed, lost or stolen, you're SOL. Buy again.

VZ Nav updates maps quarterly rather than annually, at no charge. If you upgrade or lose your phone you just download it again and you're good to go. No extra charge.

They're both great for navigation, but VZ Nav is more cost effective, especially if you upgrade every year or have bad luck with phones.
    04-04-09 01:13 PM
    Are you really a VZW Techie if so you consistently give out BAD INFO VZ NAV can be purchased on a Daily plan if needed for one day. I know the OP talked about a one-time fee but if you are going to give out info give out the whole deal not just what YOU think......

Point yourself in the right direction with VZ Navigator

With audible turn-by-turn directions, you can locate nearly fourteen million points of interest in the U.S., including landmarks, restaurants and even ATMs. VZ Navigator uses GPS positioning to tell you where you are, what's nearby, and to give you directions - quickly and easily.

$9.99 monthly access
    $2.99 per day (good for 24 hours)

Using audible turn-by-turn directions, you can locate nearly fourteen million points of interest in the U.S.A. such as landmarks, restaurants and ATMs. VZ Navigator uses GPS positioning to tell you where you are, what's near you and to give you directions to places, quickly and easily.

View the VZ Navigator site
    I see that you got that information off the VZW website, this information actually isn't completely true. There are two different versions of the VZ Navigator information page (the old one which most people see if they do a search or click on the link from the homepage and the new one if they go to Features & Downloads section or from the My Verizon section). The only way to use the per day service is on a dumbphone. Verizon removed the per day activation of VZ Navigator from the BB and Windows Mobile series of devices some time ago. The only way to get the services is to pay the monthly fee.

https://vznavigator.vzw.com/index.ht...navigation+gps

04-04-09 01:52 PM
    I use VZ Navigator. There is not a daily price that is available for blackberry phones, only the 9.99 per month. Which IMO is not to bad.
    04-04-09 02:35 PM
    Well isn't that funny I used it for two days on my work phone a curve btw and got charged for 2 days use.

Wierd huh

Last edited by spaciorek; 04-04-09 at 03:34 PM.
    04-04-09 03:32 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD