I generally wouldn't pay for the extra insurance, but if you lose your new Storm wouldn't it be $499 to replace it if you are on contract?? Seems like the monthly insurance would be worth it. Any thoughts or alternatives to the VZW insurance?
    11-30-08 10:00 PM
    Nope, the insurance is a must have. Its great, you lose it/gets stolen, water damage, broke in half, whatever. $50 deductible and you get a new phone.
    11-30-08 10:04 PM
    yuup and its only 6 bucks a month
    11-30-08 10:07 PM
    Nope, the insurance is a must have. Its great, you lose it/gets stolen, water damage, broke in half, whatever. $50 deductible and you get a new phone.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the insurance only covered lost/stolen items, not water damage or dropped/broken phones...
    11-30-08 10:07 PM
    The vzw insurance that includes water damage is 5.95 a month. Gotta do it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-08 10:10 PM
    I call BS on insurance. Let's say you lose your phone. You have to file a police report. Pay a $50 deductable. On average you'd be halfway through a 2-year contract which is 6 * 12 = 72. 72 + 50 = $122

A year from now you'll probably be able to find a storm on eBay for that much, maybe less.

I'm not in the business of betting against myself, but if it gives you peace of mind go for it.

I think the best option would probably be to have insurance for about the first 6 months, then cancel it.
    11-30-08 10:27 PM
    lol they never told me it was 50 bucks to get the new one... whatever still worth it
    11-30-08 10:27 PM
    I agree if you always have your phone with you and there is a chance of it being harmed definitely go for, 50 bucks and you've got a new one, just that simple and much cheaper than $499.
    11-30-08 10:31 PM
    The $4.95 option will cover any lost or damaged Storm, but you'll have to pay a $50 deductible.

The $5.95 option will do the above, and also extend manufacturer's warranty to 2 yrs instead of 1. Thus if it breaks you pay no deductible, but if you lose it you still will.
    11-30-08 10:32 PM
    Just to clarify for all, the insurance/protection program is not from Verizon Wireless. It is actually a 3rd party insurance company called asurion.

Furthermore the deductible for a blackberry, pda or smartphone device is actually $75. Through asurion you will NOT recieve a brand new device, you will actually get a refurb that someone else sent in when a replacement phone was sent out to cover a claim. So you never know, you maybe getting another persons headache if assurion overlooks a bug/defect the person filing a claim may have not stated. Trust me i know, i've done it and in some cases the replacement was in worst condition than the phone sent in!

Just wanted to give u my 2 cents. Google search asurion phone insurance and read articles for yourself....
    Last edited by filirican; 12-01-08 at 09:12 AM.
    11-30-08 10:41 PM
    A police report? That's one of the funnier things I've read on this forum. I was at the bar and lost it in the toilet. Yeah let me call the police so I can file a police report.

In all seriousness, the point of the $5 insurance is basically, if anything happens to your phone, ANYTHING, you call and tell them its destroyed and you get a new one. Don't over think this people.
    11-30-08 10:49 PM
    It is actually a 3rd party insurance company called assurion.
    Its actually called Asurion.

Furthermore the deductible for a blackberry, pda or smartphone device is actually $75.
    Its a $50 deductible

And, the plans are actually $4.99 and $5.99 with good explanations above as to the difference - the $5.99 includes months 13-24 for warranty. (The first year is automatic).

The Asurion coverage is for lost, stolen, water damage or physical damage. You will receive a "Certified Like New" replacement - in some cases they will be free with the $50 deductible.
    11-30-08 10:50 PM
    Well looks like I might have spoken a little too soon as I did not realize that they could send you a refurbished phone, however even if the phone is refurbished it is still cheaper than paying the retail price so I would say it is still worth it.
    11-30-08 10:56 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the insurance only covered lost/stolen items, not water damage or dropped/broken phones...
    It covers everything. I've had my current phone (LG Env, Storm on the way!) replaced twice. Once when I dropped it and messed up the screen, and once when I waded into the ocean with it in my swimsuit pocket. Both times it was a $50 deductible and a speedy replacement. The insurance is TOTALLY worth it.
    11-30-08 11:19 PM
    I did not see an option for a $5.99 insurance with increased warranty. How do I opt in for this?
    11-30-08 11:25 PM
    actually, what we have in NJ is two options.

For $5.99 you get insurance with a $50 deductible which covers everything and you get "Extended Warranty" meaning for as long as you pay the $5.99 you can walk into any corporate store with a broken phone, and they will give you a replacement on the spot.

Now the free walkin replacement is only for non-water damage. If the phone is not wet or physically broken they give you a replacement.

My understanding is, you can get a new phone at the store (or refurb) when yours breaks for 1 year (the warranty) if you are paying the $5.99 you can bring it in after 1 year for as long as you have the phone on your account and paying that $5.99

i dont know about other states. insurance laws vary.
    11-30-08 11:30 PM
    Everyone has their opinion- mine is the insurance is a nice way to throw $6 bucks out the window once a month. Verizon is awesome on replacements- I have never had an issue with a phone until a month ago. Prior to my curve I had always carried insurance on my phone. When I called because I broke my curve they told me I didn't have insurance (I semi freaked out). They were so cool- told me they would send me a refurb for a $50 payment (same as insurance hello!). All I had to do was send in the old phone when I got the new one (*cough cough*). From stories I have heard Verizon isn't going to pull a Sprint and leave you with a broken phone. Plus when I called to get the new curve the rep and I had a long talk about insurance and without saying it officially he also said it was a waste of money because Verizon wouldn't let me go without a phone. So with all that being said I did not get insurance on my Storm *gasp*! The horror! But hey I qualify for another upgrade in April.
    11-30-08 11:42 PM
    They will only let you do the 50 dollar replacement thing under certain conditions. For instance if you drop it in the toilet or it gets stolen and u don't have ins. They will not just let you pay 50 bucks for a new one. I have never gotten insurance until this phone and I am glad I did because I caj throw it around for fun... Kidding but I don't have to be all paranoid about it all the time.

11-30-08 11:49 PM
    I only have the $4.99 insurance. I live in Florida. Could this have anything to do with it.

What do people think of getting insurance with 3rd party companies (other than the ones Verizon offers).
    12-01-08 12:00 AM
    They will only let you do the 50 dollar replacement thing under certain conditions. For instance if you drop it in the toilet or it gets stolen and u don't have ins. They will not just let you pay 50 bucks for a new one. I have never gotten insurance until this phone and I am glad I did because I caj throw it around for fun... Kidding but I don't have to be all paranoid about it all the time.

Thats cool but mine wasn't stolen and and I didn't drop it in the toilet. Like I said, its all in your own preference.
    12-01-08 12:09 AM
    Thats cool but mine wasn't stolen and and I didn't drop it in the toilet. Like I said, its all in your own preference.
    Actually the $50 thing is only if your phone has a MANUFACTURERS DEFECT and is out of warranty. Basically, if the phone breaks, and has no physical signs of damage or water damage, you get it replaced for $50.

BUT with the $5.99 insurance/extended warranty, in that same instance, you get a replacement for FREE, not for $50.

You wuld only pay $50 if the phone is lost/stolen, physically damaged or water damaged. In this case, verizon would not do anything for you, without insurance.

IF your phone was wet or looked broken or you just lost it, verizon would have done nothing for you.

So i think insurance with the extended warranty is worth the money, especially on a $600 phone.
    12-01-08 12:16 AM
    Just to clarify for all, the insurance/protection program is not from Verizon Wireless. iIt is actually a 3rd party insurance company called asurion.

Furthermore the deductible for a blackberry, pda or smartphone device is actually $75. Through asurion you will NOT recieve a brand new device, you will actually get a refurb that someone else sent in when a replacement phone was sent out to cover a claim. So you never know, you maybe getting another persons headache if assurion overlooks a bug/defect the person filing a claim may have not stated. Trust me i know, i've done it and in some cases the replacement was in worst condition than the phone sent in!

Just wanted to give u my 2 cents. Google search assurion phone insurance and read articles for yourself....
    Um not true. They sent me a piece of junk replacement and I called and complained it didn't work and I got a brand new phone.
    12-01-08 12:20 AM
    Well I have never seen the walking thing and get a new once it past past the one year MFG warranty. They were always referbs and if they did not have at the store than you had to go through the insurance and I have returned many phones business and family. First time for everything.
    12-01-08 12:28 AM
    Your homeowner's insurance covers the phone, also.
    12-01-08 12:29 AM
    Actually the $50 thing is only if your phone has a MANUFACTURERS DEFECT and is out of warranty. Basically, if the phone breaks, and has no physical signs of damage or water damage, you get it replaced for $50.

BUT with the $5.99 insurance/extended warranty, in that same instance, you get a replacement for FREE, not for $50.

You wuld only pay $50 if the phone is lost/stolen, physically damaged or water damaged. In this case, verizon would not do anything for you, without insurance.

IF your phone was wet or looked broken or you just lost it, verizon would have done nothing for you.

So i think insurance with the extended warranty is worth the money, especially on a $600 phone.
    Ok my curve didn't have a manufacturers defect and don't know about the warranty- bought it in August and needed a new one in October. I broke my curve- and trust me there were signs of physical damage (which I told them about). IMO the insurance is more a pain the *** then anything- Verizon was quicker to help me out b/c I didn't have the insurance -yes- because if you have the insurance you are referred to the insurance company- I didn't have to deal with all that. I have never filed an insurance claim before so maybe someone can tell me how long it took to get a new phone through insurance.....with my $50 I got the phone right away. I am not arguing with you guys- its your choice to get insurance. I just don't chose to carry it. I would hope that each person would chose to educate themselves on the pro's and con's before making a decision, but yes there are pro's and con's for both sides.
    12-01-08 12:53 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD