Wonder since it seems as though .148 has fixed the lock issues and such in .141 if they will release it. i know the *228 bug was the main one
    05-20-09 03:54 PM
    there are other issues that .141 got failed for, but we'll see eventually. they just got it yesterday, i'll keep everyone posted with the testing process as info becomes available.
    05-20-09 04:00 PM
    Civic how's your testing coming along?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 04:15 PM
    The title of this thread should be changed to "VZW gets .148 for testing, and so did Crackberry a day later".
    05-20-09 04:33 PM
    Civic how's your testing coming along?

Seems about as stable as .132 was. Accel is just a tad slower for me, steaming MP4 videos still don't work right, and all the bugs in my sticky thread are still there (no surprise).
    05-20-09 04:41 PM
    The title of this thread should be changed to "VZW gets .148 for testing, and so did Crackberry a day later".
    why do you think CB got it? because VZW testers don't follow their NDAs
    05-20-09 04:48 PM
    Ill be happy when a os is released officially.

I can't wait to see the upgrades from .75
    05-20-09 07:23 PM
    Pretty much . My guess is most of the testers are people who field the complaints. They are so sick of them, they figure what the h#ll. It can't hurt. Tell you this much, I'm glad they did this time. Except for the crappy Audible app, everything works the way I expect for the first time.
    05-20-09 10:26 PM
    <Verizon Tester after leaking the beta> "What's an NDA?"

05-20-09 10:30 PM
    <Verizon Tester after leaking the beta> "What's an NDA?"

05-21-09 08:23 AM
    Hahahaha. I agree with this. Actually, it shouldve been a Blog
    05-21-09 08:48 AM
    We are often reminded here that there is no difference between loading a leaked copy of a given version of the software, or waiting until a provider makes it "official" and loading that. My question is: I understand that the code from RIM is whatever it is for that version, but then where does the provider-specific stuff come from; e.g., VZ-NAV for VZW, or configuration tweaks that a provider wants to put in (like tweaks to CDMA configuration parameters to make it work more optimally on their network)?
    05-22-09 12:26 AM
    Rim implements tweaks per testing feedback. As far as cx nav and vvm or c cast rhapsody its a 3rd party software so they tweak that to compliment the OS. Not the other way around.

05-22-09 12:37 AM
    so ar you saying that verizon final likes an os and a releease might be soon?
    05-22-09 12:42 AM
    Rim implements tweaks per testing feedback. As far as cx nav and vvm or c cast rhapsody its a 3rd party software so they tweak that to compliment the OS. Not the other way around.
    I understand that 3rd party applications have to adapt to the OS, not the other way around.

So what you download as "official" from a provider isn't byte-identical to the leak? We are often told here that there is NO difference between the leak and the official for a given version. Does the .exe that the provider tells their customers to download include their third-party applications (such as VZ-NAV) and configuration tweaks? I am just trying to understand what is different between installing a leak, and waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for the "official" version. Does the infamous vendor.xml file fit in here somewhere?

One reason I am asking is because on Motorola phones, there are low-level configuration files called "seams", and the Motorola counterparts to the Crackberry community spend a great deal of effort to decipher the seam files, to see if some nifty functionality is waiting in the executable code, if only the appropriate bits were set in a particular seam file to "liberate" it (such as the OBEX Bluetooth profile on the VZW version of the 815). Visual and functional behavior could be changed quite a bit (or completely broken) by manipulation of the seam files. Is there anything like "seams" in the RIM OS? This could lead to differences between how the "official" vs. the leaked version behave, even though the executable code is identical.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 05-22-09 at 02:55 AM.
    05-22-09 12:50 AM
    I understand that 3rd party applications have to adapt to the OS, not the other way around.

So what you download as "official" from a provider isn't byte-identical to the leak? We are often told here that there is NO difference between the leak and the official for a given version.

Does the .exe that the provider tells their customers to download include their third-party applications (such as VZ-NAV) and configuration tweaks? I am just trying to understand what is different between installing a leak, and waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for the "official" version. Does the infamous vendor.xml file fit in here somewhere?

One reason I am asking is because on Motorola phones, there are low-level configuration files called "seams", and the Motorola counterparts to the Crackberry community spend a great deal of effort to decipher the seam files, to see if some nifty functionality is waiting in the executable code, if only the appropriate bits were set in a particular seam file to "liberate" it (such as the OBEX Bluetooth profile on the VZW version of the 815). Visual and functional behavior could be changed quite a bit (or completely broken) by manipulation of the seam files. Is there anything like "seams" in the RIM OS? This could lead to differences between how the "official" vs. the leaked version behave, even though the executable code is identical.
    the .exe file has no impact on the carrier provided apps...they're available in the leak as well. they should be service book based, so your carrier provisions your account to support the app, and when you send service books, it compares against your VZW/RIM provisioning and sends the according books required to run particular apps, like MMS or VZ-NAV...etc. the device comes pre-loaded with the place holders for many carrier provided apps, that are actually launchers for the DL site on the mobile browser through the mobile.blackberry.com site...if that's what you're implying as compared to the seam files, i can see the relation. but they're not part of the OS, they're included apps. docs to go for example, i used a hybrid shrink-an-OS and it was one of the things removed, and when i loaded .148, it wasn't there anymore. same with VZ nav...they're not on my phone as part of the install.

hope i clarified.
    05-22-09 09:54 AM
    so ar you saying that verizon final likes an os and a releease might be soon?
    IF .148 gets approved, we should know in about a week from monday or a little bit after...
    05-22-09 09:55 AM
    big red is slow about everything including calling me back from my interview
    05-22-09 10:12 AM
    Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise?
    05-22-09 11:07 AM
    they are slow to do everything, but slow doesn't always mean bad.

see what happens when they act fast?

push to talk version 1.0

chaperone

storm release

etc...
    05-22-09 11:14 AM
    they are slow to do everything, but slow doesn't always mean bad.

see what happens when they act fast?

push to talk version 1.0

chaperone

storm release

etc...
    How much longer for testing this build patches?
    05-22-09 11:47 AM
    How much longer for testing this build patches?
    they finish next thursday i believe, so we should hear by monday after next. the 1st i believe.
    05-22-09 11:52 AM
    The whole reason why leaks occur because VZW wanted that way. Using us to test their product for free!!!!. They monitor the communities, get the feedback, and decide which one is official.

ahahha
    05-22-09 12:01 PM
    the .exe file has no impact on the carrier provided apps...they're available in the leak as well. they should be service book based, so your carrier provisions your account to support the app, and when you send service books, it compares against your VZW/RIM provisioning and sends the according books required to run particular apps, like MMS or VZ-NAV...etc. the device comes pre-loaded with the place holders for many carrier provided apps, that are actually launchers for the DL site on the mobile browser through the mobile.blackberry.com site...if that's what you're implying as compared to the seam files, i can see the relation. but they're not part of the OS, they're included apps. docs to go for example, i used a hybrid shrink-an-OS and it was one of the things removed, and when i loaded .148, it wasn't there anymore. same with VZ nav...they're not on my phone as part of the install.

hope i clarified.
    Thanks for the explanation. There are real differences between how one deploys software on a mass consumer device like a cell phone, and enterprise software intended to be installed on big servers by IT people, that I am familiar with!

Only one question left: how does RIM OS deal with carrier-specific OS tweaks, like CDMA configuration parameters? Is that also a service book that the carrier pushes to the phone? Could the problem some people are having with .148 where the phone app is missing be a service book problem? I understand some BES administrators specifically remove the ability to make phone calls from the phones they control (they want the BB to be used only with their applications).
    Last edited by CharlesH; 05-22-09 at 12:26 PM.
    05-22-09 12:20 PM
    network config info is determined by the carrier as part of prelim testing and feedback, then implemented by RIM into the software...but it's mostly hardware anyway...just small changes in s/w to fine tune it. VZW doesn't do it though.

ever noticed that each carrier gets a particular model number

etc...
    05-22-09 12:23 PM
480 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD