hey all... been lurkin' for quite some time probably because.... i still have my 8100!! i've had it for over 2 years, meaning....... i'm overdue in terms of upgrade and i have no contract. I'm just real picky I suppose..

I've been on the verge of the Storm for quite some time (what i may eventually settle on) and pretty much how I ended up here! My question is... w/ the mention of the 9630 ON VZW in a few months... will that sway some of the current Storm-sters?
    03-05-09 10:45 PM
    It is tempting but I really honestly feel that the storm is going to be an amazing phone when its problems are fixed so I'm hanging tight also I was brand new to blackberry and this phone just hooked me and kinds gave me a hobby with crackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 10:58 PM
    i definitely understand where you're coming from. the Storm is just something different than the traditional BB's. i've been lurking these Storm forums for quite sometime in anticipation of grabbing my own. it's definitely a device that has captured my eye from the start... i need to stop lagging and join ya'll officially!
    03-05-09 11:04 PM
    As somebody new both to BlackBerry and the Storm, I can't see switching fo the 9630 when it arrives.

After just a couple of days, I'm already typing pretty well on the touchscreen, and I can't imagine trading for a much smaller display. While I realize a physical keyboard is faster (and I wish they'd kept the trackball!), I think any minor problems with the touchscreen are outweighed by having more display area.
    03-05-09 11:07 PM
    I have gone through about 4 bb's in almost a yr. I seriously doubt my wife will allow my polygamy (sp) to get anymore out of hand.

My Storm rocks and I am happy. I think I will wait for 2010's upgrade....that might be a safer bet for me.
    03-05-09 11:09 PM
    My Storm was more or less an impulse buy. Had my 'new every two' ready for VZW and figured what the heck. Its my first BB and I don't know how I got along without one up till now. I'm riding this one out for awhile.

03-05-09 11:10 PM
    I really like my Storm. However when I see the full spec sheet for the 9630 I MAY replace my 8900 with one.

03-05-09 11:11 PM
    i've had my Pearl for two and a half years w/ a one year contract... i guess i'm the commitment type and that's the type of commitment i'm looking for w/ the Storm.... i don't think i can have that w/ the 9630 but it is so very tempting...
    03-05-09 11:12 PM
    It may be a better phone but I don't think I could get rid of this screen. its weird using other bb's other than a storm.

03-06-09 12:53 AM
    You know the 9630 is going to be plagued with problems when it launches.... lol.

By then the Storm should be much more ironed out.
    03-06-09 01:45 AM
    You know the 9630 is going to be plagued with problems when it launches.... lol.

By then the Storm should be much more ironed out.
    It wont have anywhere near as many issues as the Storm's launch. This will get pushed back and back until the release firmware is great. Its already looking very good as well.
    03-06-09 07:22 AM
    Sounds juke Verizon is learning from its fumble with the storm.

03-06-09 09:13 AM
    i will take a wait and see approach. But Its looking better every time i read more about it
    03-06-09 09:26 AM
    I'm a serial upgrader but I like my Storm, and don't anticipate jumping ship until at least 2010.
    03-06-09 09:31 AM
    I can't use physical keyboards efficiently. So anything but a full touchscreen phone won't work for me. My girlfriend offered to buy me a 3g and pay for the contract. I refused. Anything with WinMo as the OS brings screaming daymares of my work smartbrick.

The Storm is the phone for me for the foreseeable future.
    03-06-09 09:56 AM
    The Storm was a significant change from what RIM had been doing with phones prior to it. The 9630 follows models that have been out for quite some time (Curves and Bold), so I would expect the 9630's launch to be *much* better than the Storm.

That all said, I had been debating the 9630 vs. Storm for awhile before finally deciding to go ahead and get the Storm. The 9630 will be a quicker device, and has the physical keyboard, but after using my Storm for awhile I really don't have a problem with the on-screen keyboard and can type almost as fast as I used to on my 8703e. After a month of using my Storm, I don't regret my decision, and don't want the 9630 anymore.

About the only thing that would make me really jealous of the 9630 is if they reverse the decision about not including WiFi in it for Verizon. I'd love me some WiFi. Verizon may use the line that people don't need WiFi because their network is fast enough, and like to charge people for the data plans, but none of that does me a <you-know-what> bit of good when I'm in a datacenter or other buildings that the cell signal is crap to non-existant, but wifi pop's are plentiful.
    03-06-09 10:02 AM
    The Storm was a significant change from what RIM had been doing with phones prior to it. The 9630 follows models that have been out for quite some time (Curves and Bold), so I would expect the 9630's launch to be *much* better than the Storm.

That all said, I had been debating the 9630 vs. Storm for awhile before finally deciding to go ahead and get the Storm. The 9630 will be a quicker device, and has the physical keyboard, but after using my Storm for awhile I really don't have a problem with the on-screen keyboard and can type almost as fast as I used to on my 8703e. After a month of using my Storm, I don't regret my decision, and don't want the 9630 anymore.

About the only thing that would make me really jealous of the 9630 is if they reverse the decision about not including WiFi in it for Verizon. I'd love me some WiFi. Verizon may use the line that people don't need WiFi because their network is fast enough, and like to charge people for the data plans, but none of that does me a <you-know-what> bit of good when I'm in a datacenter or other buildings that the cell signal is crap to non-existant, but wifi pop's are plentiful.

BINGO!.. and I think that's what keeps me intrigued w/ the Storm more than the other devices. Not that there was anything wrong w/ the BB device as a whole but the Storm along w/ a new President.. it's time for change!!
    03-06-09 12:10 PM
    I'm a serial upgrader but I like my Storm, and don't anticipate jumping ship until at least 2010.
    I'm with you. I may use my annual on it, OR I might wait till my NE2 and get the next greatest thing. Storm 2? Storm Slider? Storm/Niagara hybrid? Who knows!
    03-06-09 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD