I have a 9550 on Verizon. When I use VZ Navigator and the phone's MP3 player at the same time, Navigator pauses the MP3 player even when I have Navigator's audio settings to "mute". This happens regardless of whether the active application is Navigator or the MP3 player. This causes me to switch back and forth between applications to un-pause the MPS player everytime Navigator wants to 'give me a direction'. Verizon tech support could not help. I don't recall the previous version of Navigator doing this but I might be wrong. Is there a setting in Navigator or on the phone to tell Navigator to just show me the directions and not tell them to me?
    04-08-10 11:43 PM
    Short answer... NO.

I called Verizon before I stumbled upon your post. The rep was helpful and even advised me that he owned a storm as well. I am about to make a 10 hour drive in 24 hours and was wanting to know the same thing. I called Verizon, asked for "technical help" when prompted. I told the rep that I wanted to use my MP3's via my car adaptor instead of fumbling for CD's. I asked if this was possible. They looked for the answer and couldn't find it. I was advised numerous times that it was a very good question. He "pinged" other reps and was told that it is not possible to use VZ nav and mp3's at the same time. I was advised that he would add it to the "wish list" for future VZ nav updates.

Now, since you subscribe to VZ nav, Verizon allows you to use your built in GPS. Download Google maps and you can get directions. I haven't tried to drive very far per se... (just across the parking lot at work) I was able to play my MP3's and use the google map "get directions."

Basically, the more people that call verizon and request using MP3's and VZ nav at the same time, the better chance it has of being on the next update of VZ nav. Hope this helped!
    05-05-10 10:32 PM
    The only problem is, you won't be able to hear "turn by turn directions." You can read where to take the next turn but no audible alert "turn in 600 yards." Hearing the rep tell me that he was interested in the same thing is promising.
    05-05-10 10:35 PM
    This is a limitation of CDMA phones. GSM phones will do this just fine. It's one of the reasons I have contemplated going back to AT&T.
    05-06-10 09:15 AM
    I would have to disagree with Slapnpop, it isn't CDMA its VZNavigator 5.0. The tour and curve have both functioned with MP3 and Nav in the past. The Storm2 and VZNav 5.0 have been the first in the BB lineup I've seen not work as mentioned above.
    06-08-10 01:52 AM
    I would have to disagree with Slapnpop, it isn't CDMA its VZNavigator 5.0. The tour and curve have both functioned with MP3 and Nav in the past. The Storm2 and VZNav 5.0 have been the first in the BB lineup I've seen not work as mentioned above.
    CDMA phones can't play simultaneous sounds. for example if you are listening to music and you get an email alert on a CDMA phone the music stops and plays the alert. On a GSM phone the alert plays while the music continues to play. It's not just specific to VZNav.
    06-08-10 10:32 AM
    Was this problem fixed with the new 6.0 VZ Navigator, that was downloaded yesterday?
    06-10-10 11:49 AM
    I finally answered my own question! Go to Set Up, Options, Applications, click on VZ Navigator, click on Edit Permissions, click on Interactions, change Media to Deny (Default is allow). The only problem is that everytime you start VZ Navigator it prompts you want to change it's settings back - just discard.
    08-25-10 11:11 PM
    I finally answered my own question! Go to Set Up, Options, Applications, click on VZ Navigator, click on Edit Permissions, click on Interactions, change Media to Deny (Default is allow). The only problem is that everytime you start VZ Navigator it prompts you want to change it's settings back - just discard.
    How do you hear the turn by turn with the mp3s playing?
    08-26-10 03:41 AM
    How do you hear the turn by turn with the mp3s playing?
    You don't. You hear one or the other

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-10 04:35 PM
    CDMA phones can't play simultaneous sounds. for example if you are listening to music and you get an email alert on a CDMA phone the music stops and plays the alert. On a GSM phone the alert plays while the music continues to play. It's not just specific to VZNav.
    How did this farce go this long unchallenged...

08-26-10 05:06 PM
    How did this farce go this long unchallenged...

Prove me wrong. Show me a CDMA phone that can play 2 sounds simultaneously. I know for a fact the Storm2 and the Tour can't do it. But the Bold 1 and 2 on ATT can. The 9700 on T-Mobile can also do it. If it's not a CDMA vs GSM issue than what is it?
    08-28-10 10:25 PM
    Prove me wrong. Show me a CDMA phone that can play 2 sounds simultaneously. I know for a fact the Storm2 and the Tour can't do it. But the Bold 1 and 2 on ATT can. The 9700 on T-Mobile can also do it. If it's not a CDMA vs GSM issue than what is it?
    It could be a limitation in the qualcomm chipset vs a limitation in CDMA technology.
    08-29-10 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD