04-29-10 10:04 PM
39 12
tools
    There are a few threads on CB that asks for general opinions of the VZ Navigator, but not one that discusses tips and tricks and how-tos. I'm a BB newbie but I have used VZ Nav. almost since it came out. So I thought I would start a new thread and see if there are tricks I can learn from anyone or if I could offer any help or advice.

I love my VZ Navigator, and I LOVE it on the Storm! Here are the pros and cons, I think, to the VZ Navigator:

PROS
    1. clear, turn-by-turn directions that are voiced (which google maps cannot do)
    2. frequent updates
    3. ability to customize many settings
    4. ease of use
    5. a lot of useful info that elimates the need for other applications - such as weather, entertainment guides (movies, restaurants, etc.)
    6. ability to send your location to any other verizon subscribers (i LOVE this function!)
    7. traffic advisory - I can't tell you how many times this has saved me from being late to work. If you look at a map of your route, you can see little triangles telling you there are accidents. They even tell you what it is!
    7. accuracy - most important!
    8. on the Storm, the screen is so big it is SICK - it's like you have your own "real" GPS device!

CONS
    ....and my way of dealing with the CONS
    1. Sometimes unreliable service: Since the service depends on phone connection, if you are in a remote area, you're out of luck! I learned my lesson and I always look ahead of the steps so at least I know approximately where to go before I start driving. That usually does the trick!

2. Cost: many people opt out of VZ Nav. because of the $10/mo cost. Yes if you are thinking about Garmin/Tomtom, I can see why you would want to pay for something you can have instead of "renting" a device. But this is what I think: if you can pay for your data fee ($30-$50/mo) and this expensive device, and if you drive all the time, I really don't see why you would want to save that $10. I would forgo buying a game and have my GPS every month.

3. Difficulty of multi-tasking: If you get a call in the middle of navigation, it could get a little messy. But if you just press ignore you'll be fine. You shouldn't be talking on the phone while driving anyway (heeheeeeee)

4. Lag time: Sometimes the slowness of the device or application itself can mess you up a bit. But then again, I have learned to look at the directions before I start.

5. Backlit won't stay on!!!! I totally hate this part of the VZ Nav. on the Storm! It used to stay on on my LG VX9800. And now I cannot figure out how to keep it on! .... Can anyone help?

For me, I think it beats having a "real" GPS because it's all-in-one. Why do we want a cell phone with an ability to play music/video/play games/email/browse the web....? Because we don't want to be lugging our ipod, game boy, phone, laptop, GPS... around all day long. Whenever I go to a city like New York or Boston, I can travel light and not be afraid to get lost.

Here are a few tricks that I can offer so far:

1. Save your home address and work address so you can do a two-click navigation (navigation --> highlight "home" --> highlight and press "navigate" at bottom left corner)

2. Use your address book function! On the home screen you can click on address book and it will show your contacts. Click on a contact's name and it will start navigating!

3. You can use the "detour" function and it would ask you what to detour around.

4. On the Storm, make sure you have the address saved before you start driving. It's dangerous to try to type and drive at the same time. I used to do that a bit with my LG but I won't dare doing that any more. In other words, the Storm has made me a better driver!!!!

Here is my very long 2 cents. I hope you enjoy it and please share any info/opinion/tricks you have or please do point out any inaccuracy I might have in my report. I do not work for Verizon so this is my honest opinion. Bye for now!
    03-10-09 03:59 PM
    Last time I checked, you can use the VZ Navigator for a day and it only costs like $2.50. I use my TomTom for GPS stuff in my car but only when we go on a trip or some place I am unsure of. Simple day to day driving I don't need the GPS, but I enjoyed having access to a day of VZN if I needed it.
    03-10-09 04:09 PM
    I enjoy my Navigator too. I have a stand alone GPS, but don't use it. In fact, I'm thinking of putting it on ebay. With the enhanced version of VZN, the extra capabilities are wonderful and the accuracy with construction and traffic are very good. I also like that I can call the place I'm navigating to as well. This is good for restaurants to see opening times, waits, etc.
    03-10-09 04:15 PM
    I love my Nav... some little things that bother me, but no biggies.

My backlight stays on....
    03-10-09 04:21 PM
    two points:
    1. my backlight does not go out because I always was told (even on my old LG) that if you are plugged in the screen darkening will not occur (true for me anyway)
    2. I always make my maps on the vznavigator page and syc before my trips, easy fast no distraction while driving.

My complaint: on the BB version I don't get altitude in the extra info area, come on! my crappy old LG and my nice Moto both did that! So, whats' up verizon?
    03-10-09 04:47 PM
    I use VZN a lot and like it over the alternatives.

My question to you is, did you really get your Home/Work addresses to save? I could save them under Favorites but not on the Home/Work icons.
    It is located in My Places (briefcase icon). Then Click on the Home or Work icon and manually put your address in and save it.
    Last edited by citi; 03-10-09 at 05:10 PM.
    03-10-09 05:07 PM
    Have you tried this with the storm? I did originally and found you had to get a monthly plan.
    I used to go day to day with my enV.

Last time I checked, you can use the VZ Navigator for a day and it only costs like $2.50. I use my TomTom for GPS stuff in my car but only when we go on a trip or some place I am unsure of. Simple day to day driving I don't need the GPS, but I enjoyed having access to a day of VZN if I needed it.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wizzer2801
    Have you tried this with the storm? I did originally and found you had to get a monthly plan.
    I used to go day to day with my enV.

You are correct. They want the $9.99 monthly with the Blackberry. I used to use the daily with my Voyager. Now, I just have the monthly VzNav plan. I use it enough.

03-10-09 05:39 PM
    I use VZN a lot and like it over the alternatives.

My question to you is, did you really get your Home/Work addresses to save? I could save them under Favorites but not on the Home/Work icons.
    Did you import these from VZNavigator.com when you got the Storm? If you did, I had the same problem. I ended up deleting them from the favorites list, then going to the Home icon, entering my Home address and this time it stayed. Same with work.

For some reason, because I had a "Home" and "Work" favorite under the Favorites section, it wouldn't save them on the home screen. Try deleting them from Favorites and then set them again. See if that works.
    03-10-09 05:46 PM
    PROS
    1. clear, turn-by-turn directions that are voiced (which google maps cannot do)
    2. frequent updates
    3. ability to customize many settings
    4. ease of use
    5. a lot of useful info that elimates the need for other applications - such as weather, entertainment guides (movies, restaurants, etc.)
    6. ability to send your location to any other verizon subscribers (i LOVE this function!)
    7. traffic advisory - I can't tell you how many times this has saved me from being late to work. If you look at a map of your route, you can see little triangles telling you there are accidents. They even tell you what it is!
    7. accuracy - most important!
    8. on the Storm, the screen is so big it is SICK - it's like you have your own "real" GPS device!
    Totally agree.

CONS
    ....and my way of dealing with the CONS
    1. Sometimes unreliable service: Since the service depends on phone connection, if you are in a remote area, you're out of luck! I learned my lesson and I always look ahead of the steps so at least I know approximately where to go before I start driving. That usually does the trick!
    I do exactly the same.

2. Cost: many people opt out of VZ Nav. because of the $10/mo cost. Yes if you are thinking about Garmin/Tomtom, I can see why you would want to pay for something you can have instead of "renting" a device. But this is what I think: if you can pay for your data fee ($30-$50/mo) and this expensive device, and if you drive all the time, I really don't see why you would want to save that $10. I would forgo buying a game and have my GPS every month.
    As I have been saying, if you can afford a $200 phone with $30 unlimited data plus your calling plan, $10 a month is really nothing at all. Not to mention a decent sit-down lunch will cost you more than $10 nowadays. So I don't like to nickle-and-dime thing, especially on something that is very useful.

3. Difficulty of multi-tasking: If you get a call in the middle of navigation, it could get a little messy. But if you just press ignore you'll be fine. You shouldn't be talking on the phone while driving anyway (heeheeeeee)
    I have said the same thing. You should not be using cell phone and drive at the same time.

4. Lag time: Sometimes the slowness of the device or application itself can mess you up a bit. But then again, I have learned to look at the directions before I start.
    I don't have any slowness issue. The initial load takes sometime. But after that, it is very fast to me. Whenever I drive outside of the grid, the redraw of the map is very fast....MUCH faster than Google Map in my humble opinion.

5. Backlit won't stay on!!!! I totally hate this part of the VZ Nav. on the Storm! It used to stay on on my LG VX9800. And now I cannot figure out how to keep it on! .... Can anyone help?
    I don't have such problem. For a couple time I used the VZ Nav for more than an hour on the highway, and the light stayed on all that time. It never turned off. And it did not consume much of the battery either, contrary to what others have said. And I didn't even have the phone connected with the car charger.

The VZ Nav is great. But of course just like any software, there is always room for improvement. One feature that I really like to see on the VZ Nav is to have the option to rotate the map. There is a new app called WHERE. It provides the option to rotate the map to "North up" instead of "your driving direction up". Sometime it can be useful, especially when I have read the area map in advance. The map I picture in my mind is always with North up.

Other than that, I think it is a fantastic GPS app. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Last edited by substring; 03-10-09 at 07:39 PM.
    03-10-09 07:37 PM
    i wish there was a way i could zoom in more on the "where am i" :-(. also it would be nice if you go zoom in and out while in the 3d-perspective view.
    i agree - my eyes aren't that bad but sometimes i find myself putting the device pretty close to my face trying to read the street names even with the closest zoom!

zooming out from the perspective view could be very useful as well. i hope the vz nav. will make that improvement!!
    03-11-09 06:07 AM
    two points:
    1. my backlight does not go out because I always was told (even on my old LG) that if you are plugged in the screen darkening will not occur (true for me anyway)
    2. I always make my maps on the vznavigator page and syc before my trips, easy fast no distraction while driving.

My complaint: on the BB version I don't get altitude in the extra info area, come on! my crappy old LG and my nice Moto both did that! So, whats' up verizon?
    So - do you have to plug it in for the backlight to stay on? because from what i'm reading for some of you the light just stays on even if it's not plugged in....

on a rather unrelated matter - i really hope that the new O.S. offers the "never" option for backlight....
    03-11-09 06:15 AM
    Agree with most everything the original op stated. My backlight does stay on the entire time driving.

The only thing I can figure out is, Which option is better - simplest, fastest, or shortest? I mean I want to where I am going the fastest, simplest and shortest way. Which works best for everyone? Im currently using simplest.
    03-11-09 09:31 AM
    Had Both...I'll stick with the Garmin Mobile. What I paid for the phone has not and will never determine what I use on the phone. In fact I paid MORE for my Voyager (FULL Retail-had to get rid of that d*** Krzr) than I did for my Storm (100.00). IMO paying an extra $10 a month really doesn't make any sense and it would actually be $20 a month (2 phones on my plan) Until Verizon includes it in some kind of plan it just won't be used on my Storm, on my wife's Dare maybe and that's only when she needs it! The Garmin works just as good and it gets phone numbers and you can also download a picture of where you are going from Panoramio and have it navigate to that location if you are unsure of the street address. And I'd rather use that extra $10 on coffee anyway!
    03-11-09 10:00 AM
    Anyone knows if you can use the media player while using the Navigator? Ideally, I would like to have music playing, pause (even silence and skip, I don't mind) and give directions, and then resume with the music. I know is a VZ Nav thread, but if you can comment on that ability for the Garmin and Telenav, that will be great.

Thanks
    03-11-09 01:15 PM
    Anyone knows if you can use the media player while using the Navigator? Ideally, I would like to have music playing, pause (even silence and skip, I don't mind) and give directions, and then resume with the music. I know is a VZ Nav thread, but if you can comment on that ability for the Garmin and Telenav, that will be great.

Thanks
    I never tried that. I usually just listen to the car radio while driving. But when I was using the voice navigation feature, I ended up turning off the radio because my music got too loud and I couldn't hear the navigation, which is kind of defeating the purpose of having voice navigation. =)

03-11-09 01:59 PM
    Just a note: You can switch off and go to the home screen (hold down the BB button and then go to home) The direction still talk out loud when u have to turn even thought u r not in the VZ nav program. (I donít really need the map 90% of the time, just need to know when to turn and it talks threw my my jawbone to me or outloud if i am not using my bluetooth.) This allows you to use less battery as the back light does go out on the homescreen. thanks!
    03-11-09 02:14 PM
    VZ Nav is ok. I wish the maps/graphics were a notch better (I've been used to my TomTom One).

Another con with the VZ Nav is that it won't connect with bluetooth (at least not mine - I have a Pioneer bluetooth car stereo) and it would be nice to be able to hear the voice commands better (the Storm's speaker is hard to hear, even on maximum, especially if you have some windows open while you drive)
    03-11-09 03:07 PM
    To the OP: Nice helpful thread idea. Wish more threads on the forum were like this. I agree with most all of your observations. I do not think the cost is a problem for the service provided.

Personal preference: I would rather use VZ Navigator than the two stand alone GPS units in our family which are both fine. A TomTom and a Garmin Nuvi. Tried the Garmin mobile and was impressed at first but soon found it lacking compared to VZ Navigator.

As for tips:
    I do not have a problem with backlight staying on during GPS when I am plugged into car charger.

Bluetooth over my speakerphone (Jabra SP5050 or SP700) works great and helps with the volume...often too loud even though my hearing is slipping. Haven't tried my bluetooth Plantronics headset though.

My most desired improvement would be that it would not be so easy for Navigator to launch again after being closed out. I am trying to avoid that problem which is frequent by quickly opening and closing another app after using Navigator. This doesn't seem to happen with apps other than Navigator.

It would be nice if there were the options to display speed and night mode map like Garmin has. But those are not very important to me.

Any one find a faster way to totally close the program without multiple steps?

Does anyone else ever forget and start typing data without remembering to use the multitap entry?
    03-11-09 03:40 PM
    I too love VZ Nav and, I don't have any problem with backlight staying on regardless, if charging or not. I travel a klot and it has never failed me, not even in Sioux Falls, SD!!
    03-11-09 03:58 PM
    Hmmm...used the navigator today just to see if the back light stays on and it did!!!!! What happened to the 4 times I used before? Must be a freak thing? Anyways thanks guys for helping out.
    Also thanks to those who took the time to compare other GPS devices. My boyfriend was going to get one. Now I can dissuade him...

03-11-09 08:02 PM
    I love my VZNAv even with the fee
    03-12-09 05:36 PM
    Thanks for the tips
    03-12-09 07:34 PM
    Agree with most everything the original op stated. My backlight does stay on the entire time driving.

The only thing I can figure out is, Which option is better - simplest, fastest, or shortest? I mean I want to where I am going the fastest, simplest and shortest way. Which works best for everyone? Im currently using simplest.
    I have always stuck to fastest. Reason being is because when your on simplest it will try and give you the straightest route to your destination, and that is usually not the fastest way to get were you want to go obviously. lol

Just a note: You can switch off and go to the home screen (hold down the BB button and then go to home) The direction still talk out loud when u have to turn even thought u r not in the VZ nav program. (I donít really need the map 90% of the time, just need to know when to turn and it talks threw my my jawbone to me or outloud if i am not using my bluetooth.) This allows you to use less battery as the back light does go out on the homescreen. thanks!
    Didn't know that thanks
    06-21-09 07:29 PM
    I find it easy to make my BBerry mad with the VZNav, The symptom is that VZ won't load. Have to pull the battery to reboot between VZ nav operations
    07-02-09 10:15 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD