Just got off the phone with my local store. The manager stated the shipment was only for 5 devices. He said they couldn't flash all the devices in time for the scheduled launch date. The devices sold will most likely be the older operating system build. He said they were getting a special shipment in on Monday of updated devices that should be large enough to satisfy most people on the waiting list but there was no guarantee. I called around for a second opinion and was told the same thing everywhere. Looks like even the early campers are SOL till Monday. Good job verizon, again. I think its time to port my number and give in to the evilphone. That sucks. If they cant get the phone right is it really going to be worth it? Im as big of a RIM fanboy as they come but enough is enough.
    11-20-08 03:17 PM
    Go to a crappy network, just for maybe waiting a couple of days! You should have phone ordered, and have it Saturday!
    11-20-08 03:22 PM
    calm down buddy. i feel your pain but it is not big enough to leave THE NETWORK. they will get the problem fixed. you dont want the whole vodafone mess do you? Nah you dont!

there is a possibility some stores will get shipments tomorrow afternoon and on saturday and then more all next week.
    11-20-08 03:22 PM
    not a big deal even if you get it on Monday you would still be getting it before Canada lol!
    11-20-08 03:24 PM
    Just got off the phone with my local store. The manager stated the shipment was only for 5 devices. He said they couldn't flash all the devices in time for the scheduled launch date. The devices sold will most likely be the older operating system build. He said they were getting a special shipment in on Monday of updated devices that should be large enough to satisfy most people on the waiting list but there was no guarantee. I called around for a second opinion and was told the same thing everywhere. Looks like even the early campers are SOL till Monday. Good job verizon, again. I think its time to port my number and give in to the evilphone. That sucks. If they cant get the phone right is it really going to be worth it? Im as big of a RIM fanboy as they come but enough is enough.
    The title of the thread is Verizon dropped the ball but in the last sentence you blame RIM. I will tell you right here right now this is Verizon's fault 110%!! The damn Verizon Engineers to be very very nice, made a boo boo. This doesn't reflect on RIM in any way. You'd think people would do their job correctly. Anyways, more updated Storms are being updated as we speak and will hit stores soon.
    11-20-08 03:29 PM
    The title of the thread is Verizon dropped the ball but in the last sentence you blame RIM. I will tell you right here right now this is Verizon's fault 110%!! The damn Verizon Engineers to be very very nice, made a boo boo. This doesn't reflect on RIM in any way. You'd think people would do their job correctly. Anyways, more updated Storms are being updated as we speak and will hit stores soon.
    Sorry CX didnt meant to imply that it was RIM's fault. I know its VZ. Even their store managers say they are embarrassed by the company right now.
    11-20-08 03:41 PM
    Wait, I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but are you under the impression that the Storm will sell/ship with different operating system builds? The few friday models will have the "older operating system build," and the subsequent sales/ships will have a newer one? If that's true, I'm pretty surprised. That sounds like a recipe for disaster (unless, of course, the process of bringing both into parity is simple).
    11-20-08 03:50 PM
    Sorry CX didnt meant to imply that it was RIM's fault. I know its VZ. Even their store managers say they are embarrassed by the company right now.
    No I know what you meant. I just wanted to convey this was Verizon's fault.
    Wait, I'm sorry if I misunderstood, but are you under the impression that the Storm will sell/ship with different operating system builds? The few friday models will have the "older operating system build," and the subsequent sales/ships will have a newer one? If that's true, I'm pretty surprised. That sounds like a recipe for disaster (unless, of course, the process of bringing both into parity is simple).
    It's my understanding that the units will be updated before the customer leaves the store. Then there will be another update soon after.
    11-20-08 04:00 PM
    That is not such a big deal. Just order the phone if you can. You may wait a couple of days but it's probably the better solution
    11-20-08 04:18 PM
    It's my understanding that the units will be updated before the customer leaves the store. Then there will be another update soon after.
    Interesting. I wonder what will happen to customers that are purportedly getting their Storm's on Saturday via next-day-delivery....like me!! Do you think they will update them before mailing them?

Also, I'm kind of confused. By "update", is this thread referring to a simple firmware update OTA or otherwise? Or by "update", does that mean like a flashing of the device or something more substantial? Please bear in mind that I know nothing of the "update" process.
    11-20-08 04:25 PM
    does it really matter if you get a phone with the new OS update or not??? last i knew we could update these things ourselves without verizons help and even if we were 6 OS builds back.
    11-20-08 04:29 PM
    does it really matter if you get a phone with the new OS update or not??? last i knew we could update these things ourselves without verizons help and even if we were 6 OS builds back.
    I guess it doesn't. I'm just starting to get confused about what "update" means and what "flash" means. My limited understanding of "flashing a device" was that it was undergoing some significant changes -- changes that could brick the phone if you messed with it in the middle of the process.
    11-20-08 04:32 PM
    I too am confused as to whether this is going to be a flash update or an OTA update.
    11-20-08 04:33 PM
    Why is it that some get a lot more and some less. My local VZW's are getting 25-40 per location. What gives?
    11-20-08 04:37 PM
    11-20-08 04:38 PM
    I guess it doesn't. I'm just starting to get confused about what "update" means and what "flash" means. My limited understanding of "flashing a device" was that it was undergoing some significant changes -- changes that could brick the phone if you messed with it in the middle of the process.
    simple fix...dont mess with it lol i cant imagine it would take that long to do it really. and if there is an OTA thats easier sure. but i am pretty sure they would allow us to do our own updates thru our computer if they dont have OTA which some are saying isnt happening. in either case i would be pretty sure we could do it on our computers. I dont think i would really care what build it came with as im sure we wont have to go to verizon with every update this phone will have...since they will probably have updates coming out for a long time. im more concerned about my local store is only getting 10 units and im not sure if i should go up there and get inline or not
    11-20-08 04:39 PM
    Why is it that some get a lot more and some less. My local VZW's are getting 25-40 per location. What gives?
    Yeah, my store is getting 30. I have an appointment but I will also be there right when they open... I'm not risking anything.
    11-20-08 04:40 PM
    I hope all this boo hooing and whining makes you eel better. None of you are leaving VZW tomorrow if you don't get a phone. You are going to ***** and cry and then wait until you get a Storm like everyone else. Passive aggressive at it's best!!
    11-20-08 04:50 PM
    ok so around 5 i called my local corporate store to see how many they had in stock and they said they didnt know.. so about a half hr later i get a call b/c im on the "list" and the guy said they are getting around 30 and like n ***** i didnt ask how many people were on the list so 10mins later i call back and get someone else and he had no idea what i was talking about when i said the list..I said what do u mean you dont have a list someone just called me 10 mins ago and the only reason they had my # was cause i was on the list!!! I think VZW is being shady!
    11-20-08 04:54 PM
    just like the Voyager launch a year ago Verizon FUBAR it. I hope there be some bye Xmas. There stating Dec. 15 this blows, what happen to 400,00 units
    11-22-08 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD