Yesterday I got a call from a verizon sales rep who had a bad stutter. At first I thought, who hired this guy for phone sales? I did a decent job of being patient, but it was an effort. I would have hung up on him, but was in the middle of some tedious paperwork, and even a call from a stuttering telemarketer was a welcome diversion.

My NE2 is up in January, but apparently if I acted now, I could get a fine discount on a new phone if I renewed my contract, and get some free "insurance minutes" Of course if I didn't act now, I'd have to pay a lot more and get less in the future.

What bothered me the most about the call wasn't the stuttering, or the high pressure tactics. I told the guy that I just hadn't put enough hands on time with the available phones to be able to commit to one right now. He went on this long tirade about how blackberries suck and how much Droids are so wonderful. It was when he started talking about blackberry fanboys stuck in the past that I hung up on him.

I wonder if they told the telemarketers to push the droids, since for now only AT&T has the new 9800, they want people to commit to a couple of more years of Verizon rather than see BB owners jump to AT&T to get the kicking new BB.
    08-17-10 11:59 AM
    Verizon keeps more money with Droids since that $30 data fee doesnt have to get split between them and RIM, so it makes sense that they are OK letting the BB wither on the vine as they exploit Android. Why would Verizon want any new blackberries to be sold and eat into their margin when the momentum is with (cheap) Android phones right now? I laughed when I saw they were still going to push the Droid 1 for a whopping $50 discount vs the price of the D2 or DX, while they keep those phones out as a carrot for anyone willing to wait a month for delivery or shell out the full 200 for the dated Incredible.

It's **** like this that almost makes me want to give up and go to ATT or Tmobile just so I don't have a complete moneywhore as a carrier.
    08-18-10 11:10 AM
    V when the momentum is with (cheap) Android phones right now? I laughed when I saw they were still going to push the Droid 1 for a whopping $50 discount vs the price of the D2 or DX, while they keep those phones out as a carrot for anyone willing to wait a month for delivery or shell out the full 200 for the dated Incredible.
    What exactly is cheap about Android Devices???

From what I've seen they are made with much higher quality components than newer BB's. A comparison of the hardware specs for the DROID X and the TORCH looks like a comparison between devices from two different model years.... don't see how the hardware could be consider "cheap".

And from my experience with my S1, workmates problems with trackballs, and the the few that bought TOURs - I find it hard to believe that Android Devices could be put together either by the engineers or by the assembly plant much worse. So don't see how their build quality could be consider "cheap".

And the OS.... The BB platform has it's strong points, but I still wouldn't call the ANDROID OS "cheap" there are a number of built-in features that RIM would benefit from copying.

As for the $50 dollar discount for the DROID... Did you laugh a few months ago when the STORM1 was still being sold for $99 even months AFTER the STORM2 had been release? Are you laughing right now as VZW continues to sell the STORM2 for $149, knowing that the STORM3 is coming in just a couple of months?? At least the DROID was upgradable to the latest OS...
    08-23-10 05:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD