I love my Storm's Voice Dialing feature and I love having hands-free Bluetooth in my car. But I haven't gotten these to features to work together properly (like they did with my Treo) the way I need them to.

The car's Bluetooth recognizes the Storm and I can make calls hands free and everything works fine. But the voice dialing feature on the Storm doesn't work when it's Bluetooth connected to the car unless you are hooked up to earbuds/headset. That makes no sense to me. You don't need a headset if the car is bluetooth enabled.

So, without a headset & mic, If I press the Voice Dialing button, the screen says "initializing" but I do not hear "say a command" and the voice dialing cannot hear me enter a name or number. But if I connect my headset/earbuds, I can hear the commands and can enter a response and make a Voice Dialing call through my mic.

Point is, I don't need or want to be on a headset. I just want to use the Voice Dialing normally and then hear the caller on the car's hands-free. Does anyone else have this problem or know how I might correct it? I did go into "Bluetooth - Options" and de-selected "Headset" but that did not do anything. It still functioned the same way.
    12-24-08 10:27 AM
    There are different types of Bluetooth connections- the two you are working with are Handsfree and Headset.

Most in-car systems use Handsfree. All Bluetooth headsets use the Headset type of connection. You can see how the Storm treats them in the Bluetooth set up menu and the little icon they have.

It depends on the particular software implemented for Handsfree, but all of them I've seen will not allow the use of voice dialing. Unfortunately, that includes most car systems.

However-- this is only for the VoiceCommand implementation on the Storm. Your in-car system should have a feature to program voice dials and they will be independent of the cell phone being used. As long as you can get voice dials programmed into your car system it should work. Keep in mind these are not related to the Contacts list in the Storm and will work a little differently.
    12-24-08 10:49 AM
    Thanks. Yes, I can voice dial directly through the car, but those all need to be entered one-by-one by me, whereas the Storm's voice activation applies to all entries in my address book. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, there probably isn't a "fix" for this and the best solution is just to set up my most common numbers directly in the vehicle and then call from the Storm's address book for everything else?
    12-24-08 10:54 AM
    This is a problem with the Storm (I came from a Moto RZAR).

I have a Motorolla IHF1000 bluetooth in my car. Dialing from the stored #'s (ie. "Call Home"), or using the Dial # command both work fine. If I give the command "Phone Voice Tag" the system responds correctly with "Phone Voice Tag Please" however the next prompt "Say a Command" comes out of the phone's speaker on my belt (not throught the car speakers) and the car microphone is inactive.... I have to say "Call Best Buys" into the phone mic itself. Once the phone connects all is well and I can talk and hang up through the car system normally.

I have emailed RIM and am hoping for a future upgrade in OS - still not there in .83. Apparently the Parrot users are having the same problem.
    Last edited by styx; 12-24-08 at 11:16 AM.
    12-24-08 11:13 AM
    I'm using the BT H700 and at least once a day when actively using BT, I lose the voice command. Similar to the original post, the voice command function kicks in and says listening but the storm does not 'hear' any command. When I disable the BT, voice command does the same thing when using the phone itself. The only way I have found to fix this is to shut the Storm off, remove the battery for a reset, reinsert the battery and let the Storm reboot. Then voice command will work again either on the Storm itself or BT.

Is anyone else having this problem? Also, I assume this is a bug because the only thing that fixes the problem is a reset. I've tried disconnecting bluetooth, deleting the bluetooth device and adding it again, etc. If I'm wrong and someone knows how to fix this, please let me know. Thanks.
    01-01-09 01:22 PM
    I don't know if it's the same, but similar...
    I use a Plantronics Discovery 925 (and previously a Jabra BT500). When I use the headset to initiate a voice dial for the first time, it works perfectly. But when I hang up and then try to initiate another voice dial, I get the Voice Dialing page with the message, "Initializing: Please Wait". Works great as a flashlight, but not so good to make a call.
    The only way to get out of it and make it work again, just like bbholt, is to pull the battery.
    01-14-09 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD