Has anyone noticed that on the Storm if you have your contacts arranged by last name that you have to say the name that way in order that the Voice Dial recognizes it? I also have a 8830 that is set up the same way in contacts and if you say the first name then last it still will find the right contact. is this the way the Storm works or does no one other than myself really care?
    12-22-08 06:15 PM
    mine works fine
    12-22-08 06:45 PM
    I'm with you. I have my names alpha via last name first. For example, to voice dial wilson, phyllis...I have to say Wilson, Phyllis. I don't think it should be this way but it is. I've come to live with it but I think it kinda stinks.
    12-22-08 06:49 PM
    I'm with you. I have my names alpha via last name first. For example, to voice dial wilson, phyllis...I have to say Wilson, Phyllis. I don't think it should be this way but it is. I've come to live with it but I think it kinda stinks.
    Yes that is how mine is working as well however on my 8830 that is also the same set up I can say Phyllis Wilson and it will still find it
    I wonder if the Voice Dial is a different version and if it is is there anyway to get the version from the 8830 downloaded to work on the Storm?
    12-22-08 07:08 PM
    I also have the same "problem". I tried listing the contacts alpha via first name first but that does not help/fix. In order for my voice dial to work I must say "CALL SHMOE, JOE, MOBILE". No other structure of the command will work, and I have spent a couple of hours trying to "fix". Any help would be appreciated! BTW, the voice recog does work quite well, but I really don't like saying SCHMOE, JOE instead of JOE SCHMOE.
    12-22-08 07:15 PM
    Check out vlingo. It will work even if you just say the first name only. (provided you only have one with that first name). Will also do voice to text for text messages.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 07:19 PM
    There is something in the Storm version of Voice Dial that is not allowing it because on the BB8830 it works the way it should even if the contacts are arranged by Last Name.

Thanks
    12-22-08 07:29 PM
    Is VLingo any good? Because the voice activation overall works fine. I just wish there were shortcuts like speed dials or something for faster dialing.
    12-22-08 07:30 PM
    Isnt VLingo a memory hog?
    12-22-08 07:35 PM
    Jump back back
    12-22-08 08:09 PM
    jump jump jump
    12-22-08 08:45 PM
    Honestly not sure about the memory thing but I love vlingo. It will voice dial, voice text, and voice search the internet. It may do more that I don't know about but it has been great for what I use it for.

12-22-08 08:53 PM
    Have you tried VLingo on the new OS .83?
    12-22-08 10:00 PM
    Jump Jump Jump
    12-23-08 06:17 AM
    Vlingo does not work over bluetooth.
    12-23-08 07:20 AM
    Has anyone noticed that on the Storm if you have your contacts arranged by last name that you have to say the name that way in order that the Voice Dial recognizes it? I also have a 8830 that is set up the same way in contacts and if you say the first name then last it still will find the right contact. is this the way the Storm works or does no one other than myself really care?
    Interesting. What OS version is on your phone? Mine is working fine. Haven't seen this issue on .75, .76 or .83.
    12-23-08 07:29 AM
    I'm using .83 and am experiencing this same issue. I notice that no matter what I have my sort set to, selecting a contact to view their details displays their name Last, First at the top. Also, if I "highlight" a name from the contact list and press the menu button, all of the options with their name are Last, First (i.e. Call Doe, Jane; SMS Doe, Jane; MMS Doe, Jane).

At first I thought it had to do with me swapping First & Last names in my Google contact list so they'd be sorted by last name there as well (I use gsync). But after fixing all my google contacts back to First Last, clearing all BB contact entries, and re-syncing ... the BB still wants to put Last, First.

I sure hope someone figures this one out cause it's driving me crazy!
    01-02-09 04:44 AM
    I have experienced the same issues with this software. We can only hope the RIM will fix this. For the moment I'm not using this at all. Walking on the street and yelling on the BT head set "Call Jack" and getting back "Did you say Call Home" is not my ideal type of fun.
    01-02-09 09:38 AM
    Ironically, my wife's Storm does not exhibit this behavior. She hasn't done nearly as much "tweaking" as I have and is still running the stock .75 OS.

I tried downgrading my phone to .75 and clearing all the "options" using Blackberry Desktop Manager but it still hasn't fixed my phone. I'm afraid I may need to go back to factory settings and reinstall my apps to get this fixed. It really feels like a "registry" type issue where there's a setting being saved somewhere controlling this. Is there a "regedit" equivalent for blackberries?
    01-04-09 05:42 PM
    I believe I've fixed it! Under Options choose Language.
    Make sure the "Name Display" option is set to "First Name Last Name". Mine had it reversed previously and now all my contact's names show up properly. I haven't tried the voice dialing part of it yet, but I'm fairly confident this does the trick.
    Last edited by kylek91350; 01-05-09 at 08:21 AM.
    01-05-09 02:22 AM
    I wonder if there is some kind of "first pass flag" in the VR software? Since we are getting different results, perhaps the first time you use the VR it looks at the sort order and becomes "frozen" into expecting that order. Subsequent changing of the sort order does not affect the VR. This might explain the signature we are seeing. Some folks played with the sort before they first used the VR, others didn't. ???
    01-05-09 05:17 AM
    I believe I've fixed it! Under Options choose Language.
    Make sure the "Name Display" option is set to "First Name Last Name". Mine had it reversed previously and now all my contact's names show up properly. I haven't tried the voice dialing part of it yet, but I'm fairly confident this does the trick.
    Yup, this did it for me. My voice dialing is working again!

01-05-09 08:09 PM
    Kyle K.,

Yep, you definitely found it! Thanks, that was driving me crazy. There are two places to set the contacts sort, one under language options and one under contact options. It appears that the language option overrides the contacts sort option. The only way to set them differently is for the voice dialing (contacts sort) to be set to last name, first name and language to be set to first name, last name.

Trying to reverse those settings doesn't work. This is definitely a bug that RIM needs to address since the only logical method of having them set different would be the exact OPPOSITE to what you can setup.

So, for the meantime, to avoid having to use VR last name first we have to live with our contacts being sorted by first name. Ah, the benefits of being early adopters. LOL

MT
    03-02-09 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD