So I downloaded the new version of Vlingo with safereader yesterday when I first woke up. Awesome feature if you ask me, but there is one huge drawback to such a feature it is easy to leave on. This morning I wake up to my phone quite literally yelling email messages at me. Anyways I thought some people might get a little chuckle out of this, and then others would try to remember to turn off SafeReader before you go to sleep.
    03-25-10 10:27 AM
    I tried the new vlingo, but after one successful voice recognition session, the next time ( a few minutes later), the program returned an error message. I closed the app and checked Voice Dialing--it was dead too. I removed the app. bummer, because I thought it was cool. rebooting from the "delete app" function, brought back voice dialing as I expected it would.
    03-25-10 10:30 AM
    Wow that stinks I have only had one problem with it and that was all related to using it over bluetooth, but other than that I find it to be an absolutely fantastic program!
    03-25-10 10:34 AM
    yeah, i was really excited when I first installed it and it accurately transcribed my voice command. then I had it read an email. awesome. then I went back to voice commands and got repeated errors.
    03-25-10 10:44 AM
    It would need some changes like having a sleep timer setting option, otherwise its one of my favourite app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-10 10:51 AM
    It would need some changes like having a sleep timer setting option, otherwise its one of my favourite app.

That would really put this app over the top!
    03-25-10 11:12 AM
    Vlingo is probably my most used and favorite app. This up date was great. No problems here.

03-25-10 12:02 PM
    I had the same issue with using it one time then it doesnt worked. Downgraded to an older version and emailed Vlingo support to see what they say.
    03-25-10 12:09 PM
    i need this to work with BBM!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
    03-25-10 03:17 PM
    i need this to work with BBM!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It will kind of.... You have to say "messenger" click on you're contact then speak to text in Vlingo anywhere.
    03-25-10 04:04 PM
    So, this is kind of OT but figured there was no one better to ask than Lingo users! I tried the free version and liked it, other than being limited to only sending messages to other Lingo users. I thought about buying the paid version, but really dislike the "sent by Lingo" or whatever it was labeled on everything. Can you disable his in the paid version? Thanks!

Kat

03-25-10 05:04 PM
    So, this is kind of OT but figured there was no one better to ask than Lingo users! I tried the free version and liked it, other than being limited to only sending messages to other Lingo users. I thought about buying the paid version, but really dislike the "sent by Lingo" or whatever it was labeled on everything. Can you disable his in the paid version? Thanks!

Kat

Yes, you can turn the "taglines" option off in the settings screen.
    03-25-10 05:37 PM
    Thanks bugg!

Kat

03-26-10 12:20 AM
    Just FYI...I have an older Pearl 8130. Tried Vlingo way back when I got the phone, but it was fresh out of the box and not too great at the time, so I deleted. Saw the SafeReader addition and decided to try it again. Downloaded it and ran it...ran into a few of the problems mentioned above: sometimes it read, sometimes it didn't, when turned off it also turned off my ringtones.

Not only that but it ate battery like mad and slowed my phone to a crawl.

Deleted it.

Possibly those problems were because my phone is old, but wanted to make a report just in case it's helpful to someone.
    03-26-10 11:16 AM
    I have a Sprint Curve 8330 and I just upgraded to Vlingo with SafeReader. It only read ONE new email aloud to me. I've gotten other new messages since then, but it doesn't read any of them aloud to me. WHY?! Can someone shed some light on this mystery?

Thanks in advance!!
    04-21-10 08:29 AM
    After I upgraded to the new .607 for Storm2 9550, Vlingo is horrible. Used to be great but now I constantly get an error that says I need to speak up that Vlingo could not hear me. Once it happens once it happens repeatedly. So aggravating. I have the paid version but I'm about to dump it. Who needs that when you're driving? Anybody having same problems?
    04-28-10 04:29 PM
    I bought the app and probably like SafeReader better than the main app!

However to make it better it needs to ignore all the initial crap at the beginning of the e-mail/sms and read the WHOLE message. No "message truncated" crap.

Just tell me the abbreviation of the sender, not the entire address.

e.g. "Message from John" - NOT "Message from John-fitz-gerald at uber-email-address-dot-co-uk 22323235464433.... message, U need to... message truncated"

That tells me nothing!

And yes, as had been said before.... can it be added to the list of appz that are silent when you select the silent profile? I almost crapped my pants the other night when the women's voice kicked off and I was in bed!
    Last edited by kriptikchicken; 04-28-10 at 05:30 PM.
    04-28-10 05:24 PM
    Haven't run into any problems with Vlingo on .607 The only time I get that "you need to speak louder" message was when I was in the car. Other than that it works great.

About the truncated messages, it only reads the first 30 words of the email... all the extra tidbits (subject, to:, from: etc) don't count toward the 30. As far as I know that limitation is for emails only not text BUT I haven't received a longer than 30 word text to know for sure.

People might have to put into practice telling Vlingo "Safe Reader Off" when they're done using it to read off things :-)
    04-28-10 09:04 PM
    SafeReader reads aloud all the formatting code (font, margins, color, slash, slash, slash - you get the picture) then it reads ALL the people that it was sent to and then finally it says...'message truncated'. more aptly named LaughReader cause that's what I ended up doing.
    04-29-10 09:14 PM
    SafeReader reads aloud all the formatting code (font, margins, color, slash, slash, slash - you get the picture) then it reads ALL the people that it was sent to and then finally it says...'message truncated'. more aptly named LaughReader cause that's what I ended up doing.
    Exactly that is what I am talking about!

It should miss out all the pish out and the 'cc' parts. Plus if it has been previously forwarded, miss out all that pish as well.

e.g.

E-mail to XXXXXX
    Subject XXXXXX
    04-30-10 03:58 AM
    However to make it better it needs to ignore all the initial crap at the beginning of the e-mail/sms and read the WHOLE message. No "message truncated" crap.
    This is indeed a huge problem. They limit the email playback to 30 words. After all the header junk is read, I barely get to hear half of the first sentence of the proper email text.

Has this been fixed at all in the latest versions?
    09-24-10 11:25 PM
    the latest version was also messing with GPS functionality.. Love the app but I needed my GPS more.. Have they fixed this?
    09-25-10 01:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD