I have some questions about VVM which I hope some of you will be able to answer:

1. when i play a voicemail, it stops whenever i receive any kind of message notification. I get a lot of emails, texts, etc. and find i sometimes have to play a voicemail 3-4 times in order to listen to the entire thing. Is there a way around this other than to put the phone in silent mode before listening to voicemials?

2. for the past couple of weeks, when i open up the VVM app, it shows me a message stating that "a new version of VVM is available" and asks me if i want to download it. I click "download" and then get a message saying "Browser is disabled by IT Policy." i did a search to find out a way around this but can't find anything which isn't complex.

Suggestions on these issues will be appreciated. thank you.
    06-21-10 12:08 PM
    Use youmail visual voice. It crushes the default vvm.
    06-21-10 12:39 PM
    If the OP is already restricted by IT policy on the browser, he/she may not be able to install other 3rd party apps either.

Since you're on BES, I'd talk to your IT folks. If they know what they're doing, they should be able to give you best advice and allow you to install the update if needed.

If you're not on BES, then I'd search on how to remove those pesky IT policies!...
    06-21-10 02:57 PM

If you're not on BES, then I'd search on how to remove those pesky IT policies!...
    Remember to only do this if the phone is not issued by your employer, otherwise stick with your IT department. One can lose his job for breaking security principles.
    06-21-10 04:01 PM
    Remember to only do this if the phone is not issued by your employer, otherwise stick with your IT department. One can lose his job for breaking security principles.
    Exactly why I said *if* the OP isn't on BES. (but yeah, what he said ^^^ )

As a BES admin, I can say that it won't matter too much, since pretty much any method to remove policies would require a new Enterprise Activation...which would in turn re-apply any IT policies in place. Fact is, however, that a lot of "used" units have IT policies applied that are no longer necessary, but are also a PITA to get rid of.
    06-21-10 04:05 PM
    The Google Voice app for BlackBerry is >9,000 times better than YouMail. It gives you many premium features, like transcription, for free. Those aren't included with YouMail. You can also receive & send text messages through GV; since they're send via data, not SMS, they don't count against your data plan.

YouMail is also epic fail if you want to forward calls from another number to your BB. Missed calls aren't forwarded to YouMail voicemail -- the caller just gets the main prompt asking them to enter a password. Since GV gives you a unique new number, that isn't an issue.
    06-21-10 06:50 PM
    The Google Voice app for BlackBerry is >9,000 times better than YouMail. It gives you many premium features, like transcription, for free. Those aren't included with YouMail. You can also receive & send text messages through GV; since they're send via data, not SMS, they don't count against your data plan.

YouMail is also epic fail if you want to forward calls from another number to your BB. Missed calls aren't forwarded to YouMail voicemail -- the caller just gets the main prompt asking them to enter a password. Since GV gives you a unique new number, that isn't an issue.
    Hmmm. I'm not understanding this part. Forward calls from another number? Not something I do since I don't even know what it is. Can you explain this in more detail? Missed calls aren't forwarded to youmail? What do you mean? I might be willing to try GV but I see no point if I don't know why it's better.
    06-21-10 07:43 PM
    What do you mean? I might be willing to try GV but I see no point if I don't know why it's better.
    I have call forwarding on my office phone. By dialing *72+my mobile number, I can forward incoming calls to my cell. It's handy if I'm out of the office.

YouMail ****ed that up completely. Because YouMail has an 800 access #, it doesn't recognize the forwarded call, so the caller can't leave a message. They just get a prompt to enter the YouMail password. YouMail apparently has a workaround now, but I dumped it when I got GV.

My other phone is forwarded to my mobile phone and callers must enter their 10 digit number.

Google Voice gives you a dedicated number, not a common access # with a PIN. Problem solved.

As I mentioned, GV also gives you transcription via email or SMS. Although it's automated and far from perfect, it's good enough that you can usually get the gist of the call. Very handy if you're in a meeting, court, or someplace where you can't really call for messages.

You can also give out your GV number and set it to ring multiple phones -- your office, home and mobile, for instance.

Why not just check out the site?

Google Voice - Features
    06-21-10 08:06 PM
    Google voice is a must have if you have multiple phone numbers. Heck, you can use it to literarily replace your mobile phone number.
    However, the Google Voice app for Storm 2 is hard to use (but better than using Google Voice on iPhone). If you try Google Voice on an Android phone, you will wonder how you have managed all these time without it.
    06-21-10 08:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD