you go into media and you click on pictures, you get a list of pics location on the 8GB card and you click on the desire pic and it takes forever to load, especially when you want to use the accelerometer to switch from portait to landscape, man it could take a minute.
    then when you swipe to the next pic, it also takes forever.

What is making the Storm so slow to view pics compared to say the iPhone.

When a friend and I compare the two (he's got the iPhone and I have the storm) he wins hands down on how smooth his OS is how fast he can display pics and so on.

I am running .76 and normally I have 25MB free application memory.

Any ideas?
    03-12-09 12:40 AM
    You're running .76 is the problem....much faster with .109...BTW, I normally run about 40mb free
    03-12-09 12:43 AM
    Thanks, I think that's the problem as well. However my blackberry has been provided to me from work, and I can't mess with betas. There only seem to be leaked unofficial releases out there. Where are the official releases? The Storm has been released for months now.

I'm willing to wait, at work I do feel like a beta tester, the picture viewer is slow, the browser is slow as heck because of memory issues. If I browse for more than a minute, the storm crashes, when i look at the memory, it says 5 to 10 MB's, sometimes even 0 MB.

Video is no problem, e-mail no issues, MSN, IM BB messanger no issues, it's everything else I am concerned about. I really hope a new "official" OS would be released already, so that we can move on and complain about other things in life hehe
    Last edited by Shlooky; 03-12-09 at 12:57 AM.
    03-12-09 12:53 AM
    .113 got released for the 9500, maybe a 9530 update is soon...
    03-12-09 12:59 AM
    To my understanding, the iphone uses a graphics accelerator which makes the OS run smooth as a whole. The OSX OS as a whole seems to do that and uses the GPU more efficiently. Apparently the iphone is just a scaled down version of OSX.

The Storm feels a little more like Windows in how it processes things. Messing around with OSX, it seems you can zoom in smoothly at anytime while using the OS. It's really cool and I hope the Storm can incorporate something like this in a future OS update.

To be fair, it seems the Storm's camera takes much more detailed (higher resolution) pictures than the iphone so it usually has to load a lot more. That is unless you're taking a lower quality picture on the Storm.

You can tell when flicking through pictures on the Storm, it stutters a lot and isn't very fluid. Scrolling vertically on the main screen with the icons has gotten a lot more smooth since the phone came out though which is good. Also, the browser seems a little smoother too. Closer to the iphone's browser but not there yet.
    03-12-09 01:00 AM
    yeah I agree with you, I keep hearing how good the new leaked OS's are, I hope RIM makes an official OS soon. I also heard that they are working on a native OS.
    We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Cheers!
    03-12-09 01:06 AM
    If you can't mess with betas, you could replace the Class 2 SD card with a Class 6 card. Look around, you can pick up a Class 6 card for $20. Makes a noticeable difference. That's what I did but I'm also running betas.
    03-12-09 05:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD