yeah i have read alot of the threads on this form about it yet i still don't understand why people keep talking about it is it really that important? does it make your phone run slower, does it eat up memory, does it mess with the radio, anything to do with the actual function of the phone? little help here before my brain melts
    05-20-09 09:40 PM
    Has nothing to do with the performance of the phone... it's all aesthetics. Wikipedia article on color banding: Colour banding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    05-20-09 09:43 PM
    I thought for months that they were complaining about the quality of the screen display, for example on videos or while viewing photos. Once I figured out what they were actually talking about I could not believe it. There are many legit problems with this phone, and the OS, but Id rank color banding at about problem number 100. Ill never understand why this one (supposed) issue gets so much attention on these forums.
    05-20-09 09:54 PM
    Never bothered me...
    I only see it when I look at the media player homepage...
    05-20-09 09:58 PM
    would this be a kind of resolution thing on the phone wouldn't it take resources away from other parts of the phone to have it look better? kind of like on a computer?
    05-20-09 09:58 PM
    I thought for months that they were complaining about the quality of the screen display, for example on videos or while viewing photos. Once I figured out what they were actually talking about I could not believe it. There are many legit problems with this phone, and the OS, but Id rank color banding at about problem number 100. Ill never understand why this one (supposed) issue gets so much attention on these forums.
    Until someone pointed it out, I had no clue what they were talking about. Then my lack of OCD kicked in and I promptly ignored it...

Now some people SWEAR it's present in media being displayed (video, pics). If this were true it would be extremely important. However nobody has yet to offer any conclusive proof of this.

Also, quite interest to me, someone showed side by side views of 2 Storms. One running .75 and one a much higher OS (I think .132). The banding was present in both phones with the default precision zen theme. Meaning... It's always been there
    05-20-09 10:02 PM
    would this be a kind of resolution thing on the phone wouldn't it take resources away from other parts of the phone to have it look better? kind of like on a computer?
    EXACTLY. Which is why in later OS builds, the color banding is more present in things like icons and stuff. It doesn't affect the quality of media (videos, pictures taken with the phone, etc). They took some resources away from the color in order to give those resources to more important/functionality pieces of the device.
    05-20-09 10:05 PM
    I don't like it. It is present in all of the GUI buttons of the device. The keyboard and the menu on the home screen show it.

I'm glad for the increased performance it brings, but I don't understand why this phone can't be aesthetically pleasing AND work well...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 10:11 PM
    I think a leaked OS (.90 i think) was released and improved or solved the color banding on the storm but didn’t get released to the public in an official update.

So I think (and this is just a theory) that the people that complain about color banding probably got a taste of that OS which improved or solved the color banding issue and now they crave it.

"Like that little gremlin from Lord of the Rings (Smegal spelled incorrectly) and his precious"
    Last edited by csbrown147; 05-21-09 at 12:51 PM.
    05-21-09 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD