I own a iPhone on AT&T and a Verizon Curve and the internet speeds are about the same. The only difference is that the Verizon works with voice and data and the iPhone only works with data at my house. So much for 3G where I live. That is why I stick with Verizon for voice and the data is really about the same as the AT&T for data where I live.
    08-08-08 05:29 PM
    Hi there, it's me, OP..

So, to answer my question, we don't know if the Thunder will be able to utilize Verizon's 4G/Lte when it comes out, right?
    08-08-08 07:25 PM
    Hi there, it's me, OP..

So, to answer my question, we don't know if the Thunder will be able to utilize Verizon's 4G/Lte when it comes out, right?
    Lol sorry can't help but laugh that after all the debate and agruing, no one answered yor question

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-08 07:29 PM
    Lol sorry can't help but laugh that after all the debate and agruing, no one answered yor question

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Actually, as I re-read the responses, I did get this one...

Not sure but everything i've heard says the Thunder will be EVDO Rev C + 4G. Which is confusing since Rev C was supposedly abandoned a couple years ago and Verizon's 4G network is still not ready.
    08-08-08 07:50 PM
    The difference is that GSM 3G allows for data AND voice at the same time, which IMO is better.
    Well even though it's allegedly impossible, I manage to do it with my 8330 on Verizon easily enough.

For example, I was on a long, boring, conference call the other day that had little to do with me, so I simply hit the "blackberry" button, switched to the home screen, and was pulling stuff off the Internet and reading it without dropping the call. A friend of mine has an iPhone 3G and can't figure out how to do that yet.

Also, I get a subtle alert in my audio when an incoming SMS or email arrives while I'm on a voice call. If I need to read it I simply do the above and it's there.

Well, you'd better hope no one takes that bet. Because you'd be wrong. Sprint is rolling out 4G in a city or two starting this year (Baltimore, I believe?) and Verizon plans for a full rollout in 2010.
    Well Sprint's version of 4G is different than LTE, but Verizon is already working on their LTE infrastructure because EVDO is essentially complete from their perspective. They already have more 3G in more places than ATT right now so they're shifting gears towards LTE while ATT hasn't even caught up yet.

Sure, HSDPA is potentially quicker than EVDO but the difference is pretty random and insignificant in my anecdotal experience, comparing the two side by side (ya, I've had smartphone races with equally geeky friends).

Anyway, it's a minor point since both carriers are going with LTE soon enough. Once that's complete (wait for it) we can stop arguing about the differences and continue arguing about quality of service, coverage, rates, and whatnot.
    08-09-08 03:12 AM

Sure, HSDPA is potentially quicker than EVDO but the difference is pretty random and insignificant in my anecdotal experience, comparing the two side by side (ya, I've had smartphone races with equally geeky friends).
    LMAO. Too funny.

Anyway, it's a minor point since both carriers are going with LTE soon enough. Once that's complete (wait for it) we can stop arguing about the differences and continue arguing about quality of service, coverage, rates, and whatnot.
    I agree 110%. Nice post.
    08-09-08 11:38 AM
    by 3G, you mean HSDPA or UTMS.. as both GSM and CDMA have 3G.. this is the common misconception that people have.. when people say 3G, they instantly think of GSM..

The reason why GSM 3G is a tad faster is due to HSDPA which was implemented, which theoritically makes it, like a 3.5G, THIS is the reason why it's a tad faster.
    Sniffs you are a friggin genius! I am intrigued by this topic; I wish I understood this better. Is there a place I can lean more about this stuff? I do a google search and it takes me to Wikipedia...I am a bit leary on the accuracy of some of the info found there.
    08-18-08 09:45 PM
    Sniffs you are a friggin genius! I am intrigued by this topic; I wish I understood this better. Is there a place I can lean more about this stuff? I do a google search and it takes me to Wikipedia...I am a bit leary on the accuracy of some of the info found there.

The articles on Wikipedia related to cell network techonology is pretty spot on.

High-Speed Downlink Packet Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Code division multiple access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    08-19-08 09:35 AM
    UMTS was like EVDO rev 0

HSUPA is like Rev A

now i think yall forgetting about HSPA+

at the end of the day... HSPA (VOIP) > EVDO.. gotta love browsing the internet while on a conference call waiting your turn to talk

being able to transfer emails look at them and edit them while in call will be a BIG FACTOR!! check out the bold demo..

playing games on ur cell phone while talkin smack to ur friend will be big!

true conference calling via cell phones are coming its in the pipeline at att.. not that video share bs

from what i am told it cost att less to upgrade their towers than it does cdma, since majority of cdma upgrades are redoing the entire tower versus gsm are more of a software thing than hardware.

GSM 3G is gonna be faster, they have the potential to be faster but att is capping the speeds. that is why you see HSUPA radios that say 3.2 or 7.1 data speeds.

ill give it to EVDO and its footprint, but if i can get hsdpa in the same areas where i need hsdpa ill take that over evdos foot print any day
    Last edited by chinh8310; 08-20-08 at 12:57 AM.
    08-20-08 12:53 AM
    why do carriers have to upgrade to 4g and stuff when they are capping their 3g speeds so low now? aren't the downstream for EVDO like 400-800 Kbps? why not just raise the cap instead of having to implement a whole new technology?
    09-07-08 02:27 AM
    Long Term Evolution, aka LTE. It meets "4G" specs, that's all. It's not CDMA and it's not GSM (though GSM devices are backwards compatible and CDMA devices aren't), but the bottom line is that it's fundamentally different starting with the type of antennae on the towers compared to what we have now.

But all carriers will always retain the ability to dynamically control bandwidth because they have to. It's a combination of demand, and your proximity to a tower, basically. If you're 50 feet from a tower at 3AM you are much more likely to get closer to the potential bandwidth on anyone's carrier, regardless of the implementation currently in place.

The good news is that the LTE tech is capable of more users using more bandwidth. The bad news is that the carriers can and will cap speeds as it suits them.

Anyway, getting back to the present, there are so many variables in the current systems that virtually nobody is getting the true potential of any carrier's peak bandwidth right now. Theory and practice will always be different.

LTE is not going to change that. My guess is that they will tier their bandwidth based on your ability to pay, just like the wired broadband guys have been doing for years now.
    09-07-08 03:20 AM
    thanks alot for your explanation ksws!
    09-07-08 03:26 PM
    the speeds are comparable.. as far as coverage for 3g on either network? haha..

Look at a coverage map. =P
    09-11-08 10:28 AM
    Seriously, I'd prefer the larger EVDO Rev A network over AT&T's tiny HSDPA network any day of the week.

Sure, you can hide the fact that the HSDPA footprint is miniscule, by adding Wi-fi to you devices, but I've been rocking high speed wherever I'm at without problems, and without having to jump into a Starbucks to check my email.

Sprint is launching their 4g network... but their 4g network is the lesser of the 4g technologies called WiMax. Not very promising, if you consider all the top wireless companies in the world are developing for LTE and have jumped off the WiMax bandwagon long ago.

Also... HSDPA is based on CDMA technology. Look it up.
    10-23-08 02:28 PM
    Also... HSDPA is based on CDMA technology. Look it up.
    Really? I never heard that one before. And I looked it up and didn't find any information showing that. I did find EV-DO and HSDPA similarities, but nothing telling me HSDPA is based off of CDMA technology. You have a link? By the way, I'm not doubting you, I just can't find the information.
    10-23-08 03:11 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD