Someone told me that Verizon's "unlimited" data plan isn't really unlimited and they are known for cancelling customers who overuse their phone. I am considering switching to a Storm for the sole reason of having a portable entertainment system and I don't want to have my service cancelled for overuse. Anyone run into this issue?
    06-25-09 11:27 AM
    its complete BS, i think they have a cap at like 5 GBs of use but you will never reach that point.
    06-25-09 11:30 AM
    The 5 GB cap is for tethering. Data usage using just the phone is unlimited.
    06-25-09 11:36 AM
    Well... That isn't exactly true...

If you google about Verizon Unlimited plan, there is an article that comes up about 2 years old or so, but also looking on their website with regards to their Air Card, the literal limit is 5 gigs based on 'normal' usage.

What they consider normal usage is mostly web browsing, some streaming audio/video, and mail for the most part. What they say it is not for is for constant streaming, or file serving or peer to peer sharing.

Basically, P2P will try to use the maximum possible bandwidth cause you are connecting to a lot of users to try and get something quickly as well as sending out to people quickly. Constant streaming, IE: Webcam serving, is basically abusing the system in their eyes.

For the most part, it depends on what exactly you plan to do as far as 'Entertainment' is concerned. If you are trying to stream high quality audio/video feeds constantly, you will eat up your monthly allotment in a week or two at best. If you are doing the occasional streaming, like a couple of hours a day, it shouldn't be too bad, but again, depends on the quality of the stream which dictates how much data you use.
    06-25-09 11:38 AM
    I
    The 5 GB cap is for tethering. Data usage using just the phone is unlimited.
    Not true. 5GB is for anything!

-B.D.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 11:38 AM
    I

Not true. 5GB is for anything!

-B.D.

Actually, the Phone part is not treated the same as the Data. 5 gigs is for e-mail, web browsing or anything that accesses the internet, which would also be things like G-mail app, little apps that pull weather information or twitter or the like. But things like you getting your voice mail or sending/receiving text messages via the mobile system is independent of that.
    06-25-09 11:41 AM
    I am a school teacher that moonlights part time as a security. I would probably listen to streaming radio (FlyCast or MLB mobile) two or three hours an evening no more than three evenings a week. It doesn't sound like this will be a problem.
    06-25-09 11:42 AM
    There may be a 5GB cap but you would never get close to that under normal usage.

06-25-09 11:42 AM
    I am a school teacher that moonlights part time as a security. I would probably listen to streaming radio (FlyCast or MLB mobile) two or three hours an evening no more than three evenings a week. It doesn't sound like this will be a problem.
    Nope... MLB Mobile is suppose to use a lower bandwidth intensive stream for exactly this reason. If you are doing it no more than 3 hours a day, 3 evenings, you shouldn't have any real problems.
    06-25-09 11:57 AM
    Is there a way to check your usage the way you can check your texts and stuff?
    06-25-09 12:24 PM
    Is there a way to check your usage the way you can check your texts and stuff?

yes go to your account page at VZWs web portal there is a current data usage area.

I listen to slacker all day at work, i send and receive emails, texts, twitter updates and all that stuff, and I have never gone above 1.75GB of usage. My average is about 800MB.

Last edited by robrowald; 06-25-09 at 01:27 PM.
    06-25-09 01:20 PM
    i spoke to verizon about this they said it was for the pc card not for the phone...

then again it was a verizon customer care rep..
    06-25-09 01:26 PM
    I've never heard of this, I have used my storm pretty heavily some months, pushing almost a gig with of data to it, and I didn't even get so much as a warning. If there is a point where they shut off your data plan I really don't think you would have to worry about reaching that with your storm. I mean, I would definitely worry about getting my phone shut off if I didn't have the unlimited plan. I really don't think a company can advertise "unlimited" and have it be limited to a point where they terminate your service, it is bad business, false advertising, and ultimately would get them in a **** load of trouble.
    06-25-09 01:33 PM
    They would send you a warning letter first.

I really don't think a company can advertise "unlimited" and have it be limited to a point where they terminate your service, it is bad business, false advertising, and ultimately would get them in a **** load of trouble.
    If you read that tiny little fine print it is in there that they can terminate your for "abuse". The VZW lawyers always have the CYA clause, as do all the wireless companies...
    Last edited by robrowald; 06-25-09 at 01:51 PM.
    06-25-09 01:48 PM
    ...But things like you getting your voice mail or sending/receiving text messages via the mobile system is independent of that.
    Verizon does not consider any of these things as sending/recieving data ....which is why they are sold seperately or as part of a voice plan.
    06-25-09 02:06 PM
    I have two phones with VerizonWireless that have the dataplan, one a Storm and one a WinMo. I also have tethering on the Storm. I have been warned about the use of data twice for the tethering. That really chaps me, because I ALSO have embedded EV-DO in two Lenovo notebooks and I use them for hours a day for work and nary a mention of limits. Even that rarely get me close to the 5GB limit. I guess because those are on a Corporate plan I wouldn't hear anything.

Just don't be stupid with what you do and you should be OK. I personally don't ever stream Slacker, but rather I have 18 channels cached to my microSD card and use that instead. I do use the MLB and as mentioned, the usage is very low. Should not be an issue.
    06-25-09 02:07 PM
    This is quoted from Verizon Wireless' Blackberry Nationwide Email

DATA PLANS AND FEATURES

Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.

Data sessions automatically terminate after 24 hours of activity. Data session is inactive when no data is being transferred. Data session may seem inactive while data is actively being transferred to device, or may seem active when it is actually cached and not transferring data. You MUST press or click END or DISCONNECT button to ensure that session disconnects and charges cease. Thirdparty applications may automatically reinitiate data sessions without you pressing or clicking SEND or CONNECT button. For the Palm� Treo� 650, the only way to disconnect your data session is to press the home key until you see �All� or �System,� then select the �Prefs� icon, then select �Network� from the drop-down list, and then �Disconnect.� You may be able to send or receive voice calls when your data session is inactive. When this occurs, charges apply simultaneously for voice calls in accordance with your Calling Plan. You are responsible for maintaining virus protection when accessing service.
    As mentioned before, if you look up on google about Verizon and Unlimited, the definition of unlimited was based on 'normal' usage. They cited that most users will not hit the system for nearly that amount of data (At the time, it was stipulated at 10 gigs before they cracked down on some people) with regards to how much usage was done.

While in the letter of the law, it is not unlimited. But in the spirit of the law and with these stipulations, they defined that it is virtually unlimited.

Mind you, that Comcast actually got busted for re-directing a person's P2P traffic on purpose and was labelled shady because they did not define what was considered 'reasonable' use of their network. In the case of Verizon, they stated here, albeit in 'small print' that it is limited and there are stipulations that you have to adhere to. If you adhere to those stipulations, you have, virtually, unlimited internet access at that point.

i spoke to verizon about this they said it was for the pc card not for the phone...

then again it was a verizon customer care rep..
    This is not 100% accurate. The Verizon rep is either new or did not read his script correctly. Of the 3 verizon reps I spoke two, two business, one customer service, 2 of them stated to me that all data is 5 gigs is the top unlimited limit. The one rep who told me it is only for the PC card was wrong, only because he forgot that the Blackberries can be tethered to be used as wireless modems/Air cards which means users can, theorhetically, download more than 5 gigs of data due to using it as a broadband access.

Most Mobile Devices rarely pull down that much information nor many apps because mobile apps and devices say, "I'm a mobile device." The reason the Air Card gets it in big writing is because there is no way to say, "Hey, I'm just a wireless broadband connected computer." and can suck it down like it was a computer hooked to the internet the old fashion way.

To be honest, short of doing constant streaming, as mentioned above, you won't really hit it and by the spirit of the notion, it is considered 'unlimited'. It just requires people to not use it stupidly.
    06-25-09 02:09 PM
    They do advertise it as unlimited, and they faced a class action lawsuit for booting over 13000 subscribers for going over the 5 gb cap on the unlimited plans. Verizon settled for 1 million and promised to clarify that unlimited doesn't mean unlimited. Since then, I haven't heard of anyone losing their service if they go over, so verizon is either ignoring the cap or throttling over 5 gb.

Btw, regardless of what any cs rep tells you, the tos posted on Verizons site references a cap for all data (not just tethering). Until they change that language, that gives them their cya.

06-25-09 02:14 PM
    I use my phone for internet for my house plus my normall daily use. I usally hit 2 GB on the tether plan and stay around 1Gb on the unlimited plan. They are able to seperate what setup you are doing. Plus if you read Slacker Flycast and streaming that is designed for a mobile application is permitted.
    06-25-09 02:15 PM
    This is quoted from Verizon Wireless' Blackberry Nationwide Email
    Your quoted text deals specifically with Verizon's data access services "such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services".

Those specified plans above are optional plans and are different, and totally separate from the required "Blackberry" data plan.

I could be wrong, but if that isn't the case, show me where and I'll stand corrected ...
    06-25-09 02:21 PM
    Your quoted text deals specifically with Verizon's data access services "such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services".

Those specified plans above are optional plans and are different, and totally separate from the required "Blackberry" data plan.

I could be wrong, but if that isn't the case, show me where and I'll stand corrected ...
    The bb nationwide email bundles voice and data, so keiichi25 quote the corecy fine print.
    If you unbundle and specifically select either the $30 bis or $45 "unlimited" bes plan you'll see the same limits in the tos fine print.

06-25-09 02:41 PM
    Domestic Data Used
    975.855 Megabytes Used

says i have used that much MB yet the meter that tracks how much you are using before you go over is a solid white and just reads unlimted. they dont say it but it definitely looks as though it's to crack down on pc users. people who will use it to host web shows and stuff.
    06-25-09 02:42 PM
    The bb nationwide email bundles voice and data, so keiichi25 quote the corecy fine print.
    If you unbundle and specifically select either the $30 bis or $45 "unlimited" bes plan you'll see the same limits in the tos fine print.
    IOW, it is just as I stated: "Those specified plans above are optional plans and are different, and totally separate from the required "Blackberry" data plan."

Not trying to be argumentative, trying to clarify an issue with Verizon ...
    06-25-09 02:54 PM
    They do advertise it as unlimited, and they faced a class action lawsuit for booting over 13000 subscribers for going over the 5 gb cap on the unlimited plans. Verizon settled for 1 million and promised to clarify that unlimited doesn't mean unlimited. Since then, I haven't heard of anyone losing their service if they go over, so verizon is either ignoring the cap or throttling over 5 gb.

Btw, regardless of what any cs rep tells you, the tos posted on Verizons site references a cap for all data (not just tethering). Until they change that language, that gives them their cya.

The last rep I spoke with on it said that when you do go over it, they will throttle your usage first. It is when you go ape over it, IE: keep pulling lots of data, there is a chance they will look at it and then probably hit you for violation of TOS.
    06-25-09 02:59 PM

Correct. Mind you, I work with a Retail Catalog company and with a new Boss who literally went off when I mentioned about the Cap that I went back to our reps at least 3 times to make sure we understood EXACTLY their definition and also doing research on it to make sure people on my side here understood the definition of 'unlimited'.

In all practical purpose, the data plans from any wireless service is more of a 'as you need' versus 'constant service'. The Wireless group does not intentionally plan on having users use it literally 24/7 as their network is not suppose to be hit with that much information like land lines are setup for that capacity.

The Broadband/Wireless Access is meant more of 'sporadic' use where you know you are going to a location where you have no WiFi access, you have no phone line access. Most business types will just pop on the broadband to do quick data, like Verizon Reps, where they pull up sheets or some information to show others what the plan is, but not on the level of "Hey, I can watch movies or download games anywhere!"

Devices like Blackberries and Smartphone PDAs blazed the data updates mostly for people who needed to get e-mail and calendar updates 'now' versus later situations and only when the iPhone came out and more advanced Blackberry browser designs to make internet sites preferred seeing on mobile devices drove the interest, most people never really didn't hit the broadband stuff until the Verizon/AT&T push on broadband access to 'get out of the coffee shop' usage.
    06-25-09 03:10 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD