Has anyone seen that tv commercial where it makes the storm look so perfect? The screen moved instantly! The browser didn't have to load pages. Just instant. Do you guys think verizon is trying to trick people into buying the storm?

Oh and BTW jackasses, i typed this on my phone earlier and mistyped "Tricking" Pardon me for being human.
    Last edited by Brandon9530storm; 02-19-09 at 02:34 PM.
    02-17-09 06:06 AM
    They fooled me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 06:26 AM
    Do you believe everything you see a commercial for? Do clydsdales really play football? Seriously it a commercial. Theyrr meant to be enticing.

02-17-09 06:30 AM
    If a commercial didn't make you want to buy the product featured then it failed.

02-17-09 06:33 AM
    There are so many Verizon stores across the country, you'd think most customers could get to one without assistance. And why aren't they using buses? I also have the same problem with McDonald's Big Macs. Not nearly as pretty in-store as the commericals. Seriously, I get your point. However, I wouldn't go as far as calling it a trick or deceptive. Verizon is trying to sell a product, just like every other company on TV. It's not like they are advertising it to do something it can't do (e.g., WiFi).
    02-17-09 06:36 AM
    how do you 'truck" someone? seriously...nobody can trick you into not knowing how many days 30 days are before your return period ends.
    02-17-09 06:38 AM
    Commercials always exaggerate. Have you noticed many cars in a car commercial have engine noise that sounds like a NASCAR? Will people not buying those cars because they felt cheated. Not.

I bought my Storm not because I saw their commercials. It was because a friend of mine has one. Words of mouths are the best advertising.

02-17-09 06:42 AM
    They must have been running Siths build.
    02-17-09 06:59 AM
    Or people just don't notice the part that says "screen images simulated".
    02-17-09 07:43 AM
    Or people just don't notice the part that says "screen images simulated".
    The commercial also adds about 10lbs to the phone!
    02-17-09 07:47 AM
    Do you believe everything you see a commercial for? Do clydsdales really play football?

HORSES CANNOT PLAY FOOTBALL! Now if I can only get it through the heads of all the M&M's walking and talking in my house then I'll be ok.
    02-17-09 08:29 AM
    I was more irritated that that huge crowd isnt following me around...comeon man its a commercial...the point is to make you say, "Damn I want that thing"
    02-17-09 08:40 AM
    I think it's safe to assume everyone here has, at some point in life, experienced a case of buyer's remorse. We got all excited about something, rushed out to get it as soon as it was available, and then when we actually got it... Well, it's not everything we hoped.

There are countless examples of this. Fast food sandwiches where they might pick the best looking one out of dozens, commercials for cars where they have professional drivers on a closed loop track doing all kinds of tricks we could never do (and not just because they'd be illegal on the road), and beer commercials are among my favorite for insinuating that if you drink that beer hot women in bikinis will be beating down your door for sex.

Seriously, if you're dumb enough to believe everything you see in a commercial, then my only real question is: How have you managed to survive this long in life? If you seriously think a cell phone can render web pages faster than a desktop computer, then it wasn't Verizon that "trucked" you, it was life in general when it robbed you of the mental capacity to work these things out on your own. Whether you want to believe it was God or just being born into a family with a lot of stupid genes, that's up to you.
    02-17-09 08:41 AM
    I was more irritated that that huge crowd isnt following me around...comeon man its a commercial...the point is to make you say, "Damn I want that thing"
    Did you try saying, "Can you hear me now?"
    02-17-09 08:42 AM
    I totaly agree that wrong, right, or otherwise its an ad, and you have to take it with a grain of salt.

That being said, does anyone remember this?
    UK Bans IPhone 3G Ad
    02-17-09 08:47 AM
    It's called sales....take a class

ATT also says they're the network with the least dropped calls and the most coverage.......ok, maybe in certain areas of the US....but certainly not nationally.

Take a class on the matter if you REALLY believed the commercial to begin with.
    02-17-09 08:48 AM
    It's called sales....take a class

ATT also says they're the network with the least dropped calls and the most coverage.......ok, maybe in certain areas of the US....but certainly not nationally.

Take a class on the matter if you REALLY believed the commercial to begin with.
    As of this past Sunday you won't be seeing those commercials anymore because they can't legally say that now.
    02-17-09 08:50 AM
    AT&T does the same with the iPhone
    02-17-09 08:52 AM
    I'd like to play devil's advocate with the naysayers. Some of the examples provided in response to the original post somewhat miss the point. Let's start with the football-playing horses. Such happenings are obviously not possible (much like the talking gecko). Most, if not all, observers of the commercial know the portrayal is "fake" and is intended to entertain. We don�t walk away thinking we can buy a few horses for a football tournament. Another example is food commercials. While McD's burgers NEVER look as good in store, the commercials don't provide any misleading information about performance. Whether a real-life burger looks like the one on TV or not, it likely tastes (performs) as good as the ones on TV.

Back to the OP's point: The Storm commercials convey information about appearance and performance. Nothing in the commercial leads the viewer to believe there's an obvious exaggeration (ala horses playing football), so the viewer is likely to believe that real world appearance and performance will be very close to the commercial. So.....we agree that actual Storms look identical to the ones in the commercials. Not a problem there. We likely also agree that the performance, in most cases, is not anywhere near the commercials. What's wrong with being upset over being mislead about performance? This is not about VZW�s 30 day return policy. Put that aside for a moment. VZW likely does not show actual performance in the commercials because it would not be as persuasive, thus leading to fewer Storm customers. Let's assume the Storm in the commercial is 30% faster. Would you not be upset if you bought a hard drive that ended up having 30% less space or a car that had 30% less miles per gallon?
    02-17-09 09:30 AM
    Also, if you pay attention, in the bottom of the screen it says "Screen Images Simulated". But of course someone with your high level of intelligence would NEVER be *ahem* "trucked".
    02-17-09 10:21 AM
    VZW likely does not show actual performance in the commercials because it would not be as persuasive, thus leading to fewer Storm customers.
    They don't. There is a 'Screen images simulated' disclosure at the bottom of the ad spots, which sort of blows a hole in the "Verizon is trying to trick us!" claim.

Edit: I'm ten minutes late
    02-17-09 10:31 AM
    The commercial also adds about 10lbs to the phone!
    HAHAHHA AWESOME.
    02-17-09 10:39 AM
    Do you believe everything you see a commercial for? Do clydsdales really play football? Seriously it a commercial. Theyrr meant to be enticing.

Wait a minute, have I been hoodwinked!! I lost 50 bucks to the damn horses, your sayin it was fixed!
    02-17-09 11:09 AM
    Back to the OP's point: The Storm commercials convey information about appearance and performance. Nothing in the commercial leads the viewer to believe there's an obvious exaggeration (ala horses playing football), so the viewer is likely to believe that real world appearance and performance will be very close to the commercial.
    Ehhhh... Without resorting to pointing out the disclaimer at the bottom... And while I generally agree there needs to be more stringent regulations regarding the portrayal of products in advertisements... Any reasonably intelligent person should know that there's going to be a disconnect between what you see on TV and what you actually get.

Does anyone here really think that the suspension and traction control systems on some car are so good that we could go driving on some treacherous winding mountain path in the rain or snow at high speed?

So.....we agree that actual Storms look identical to the ones in the commercials. Not a problem there.
    I have actually seen people complain that the screen shown on commercials is a bit bigger than actuality, not accounting for the little black band at the bottom of actual screens.

We likely also agree that the performance, in most cases, is not anywhere near the commercials. What's wrong with being upset over being mislead about performance?
    Nothing, but mislead is a far cry from "trucked". Verizon isn't out and out claiming that this is actually how the Storm performs, they just let you make that assumption all on your own.

This is not about VZW�s 30 day return policy. Put that aside for a moment.
    Actually, it kind of is. If you buy something, and find it's not up to your expectations from the commercial, you can take it back. You aren't just stuck with it and that's it.

VZW likely does not show actual performance in the commercials because it would not be as persuasive, thus leading to fewer Storm customers.
    That's purely speculative, and we don't really know that this is the only reason for it. Did you ever consider the issues associated with trying to film a computer display? CRTs have the noticeable flicker issue, and LCDs will often end up looking very washed out and will catch glare from studio lights.

Let's assume the Storm in the commercial is 30% faster. Would you not be upset if you bought a hard drive that ended up having 30% less space or a car that had 30% less miles per gallon?
    Actually, given that computers use a base 2 system for calculating space, and hard drive makers use a base 10 system, you do end up "losing" quite a bit of space. That 500GB drive is based on the idea of 1000MB = 1GB, when your computer calculates it as 1024MB = 1GB. So you end up losing about 2.4% capacity right off the top, assuming I did my math right. Not quite 30%, but same basic idea.
    02-17-09 11:24 AM
    The commericial is doing what it is suppose to do... get people to want a Storm.
    02-17-09 11:31 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD