Did he, did he really? If the story is true, I agree, it's tragic, but it's like blaming a gun for someone shooting themselves in the foot. $3800 would constitute about 15GB of data usage.
    If someone is using that kind of bandwidth over a 3g network, specifically trough an unauthorized tether, well as they say, there's no cure for stupid.
    Even if he had a legit tethering plan it would him cost somewhere around $2500 in overage charges.

So I'll say it, I call BS on Bombing Bob's story.
    04-22-09 11:32 AM
    Did he, did he really? If the story is true, I agree, it's tragic, but it's like blaming a gun for someone shooting themselves in the foot. $3800 would constitute about 15GB of data usage.
    If someone is using that kind of bandwidth over a 3g network, specifically trough an unauthorized tether, well as they say, there's no cure for stupid.
    Even if he had a legit tethering plan it would him cost somewhere around $2500 in overage charges.

lol i didnt say it was true or anything. i have no idea. thats A LOT. but i dunno man
    04-22-09 11:35 AM
    i'll say this one more time...
    you are taking your financial livelyhood into your own hands using tetherberry...be aware that if you're caught, you will be responsible for the charges. that is my last warning. don't come start a thread "wtf I HATE VZW they're charging me..." cus i'll just link you this thread to read.
    I guess he got caught.. and now he's all QQ.
    04-22-09 11:38 AM

what is the charge per MB anyways?? i thought it was like 15.36/MB or 1.5 cents per KB? no?
    04-22-09 11:43 AM
    25 cents per meg over your plan limit.
    04-22-09 11:53 AM
    Newbie here. Please be nice.

Alright, let me see if i got this right....If i go legit its going to be an extra $30 on top of the $30 I already pay for unlimited (5gb) data plan for BB Curve 8330 through verizon.

If I use tetherberry or pdanet it is a one time fee and as long as i dont go over the 5gb per month everything should be fine? Is this correct?
    04-22-09 12:22 PM

Alright, let me see if i got this right....If i go legit its going to be an extra $30 on top of the $30 I already pay for unlimited (5gb) data plan for BB Curve 8330 through verizon.

If I use tetherberry or pdanet it is a one time fee and as long as i dont go over the 5gb per month everything should be fine? Is this correct?
    I dont think that Verizon has the "unlimited" plan anymore, all they have is 5GB... for tethering
    04-22-09 12:28 PM

SHOULD be fine, I know a lot of people tethering that never had a problem. Once again, it's like speeding, if you stay within 10MPH, of the speed limit, most cops won't bother you. It's still speeding, by then they would have to pull over 80% or so of drivers. If you go 20MPH over the limit, you are almost guaranteed to get a ticket.

Make no mistake about it, it is violating your TOS, and that can carry consequences, usually won't, but it can.
    04-22-09 12:41 PM
    SHOULD be fine, I know a lot of people tethering that never had a problem. Once again, it's like speeding, if you stay within 10MPH, of the speed limit, most cops won't bother you. It's still speeding, by then they would have to pull over 80% or so of drivers. If you go 20MPH over the limit, you are almost guaranteed to get a ticket.

Make no mistake about it, it is violating your TOS, and that can carry consequences, usually won't, but it can.

Ok. Thanks for your response.
    04-22-09 12:47 PM
    after reading all these different post in the tetherberry threads, this is my thought on this subject. i am not a lawyer, but i play one on tv. ok...i can't back that up, but i do deal a lot in contracts.

first of all, breaking a tos, is defaulting on a contract...it is NOT stealing. stealing is breaking the law. speeding is breaking the law. there is a HUGE difference between breaking the law and defaulting on a contract.

the fact that tetherberry uses the bb's existing data, as opposed to the phone as a modem is enough of a gray area to argue it is not defaulting on the contract.

second. when two parties sign a contract, the seller has a moral obligation to make sure the buyer understands what he is signing. with verizon, there is NO attempt to even acknowledge the contract when you sign up for service, it is simply printed out and handed to you with your receipt. that is deceitful in and of itself...and can be taken as a default on their part.

third. the last i checked, it was also against vzn's tos to steam any content from the web with your phone...ie radio, etc. maybe this has changed. but if it hasn't, vzn encourages it's users to break their own tos by featuring apps like slacker, which is an app that allows you to stream radio. i have used both slacker and tetherberry at the same time and monitored my usage and slacker uses far more data (in my normal using) than tetherberry.

now going over 5g's is a violation no matter how you slice it.
    04-22-09 01:17 PM
    after reading all these different post in the tetherberry threads, this is my thought on this subject. i am not a lawyer, but i play one on tv. ok...i can't back that up, but i do deal a lot in contracts.

first of all, breaking a tos, is defaulting on a contract...it is NOT stealing. stealing is breaking the law. speeding is breaking the law. there is a HUGE difference between breaking the law and defaulting on a contract.

the fact that tetherberry uses the bb's existing data, as opposed to the phone as a modem is enough of a gray area to argue it is not defaulting on the contract.

second. when two parties sign a contract, the seller has a moral obligation to make sure the buyer understands what he is signing. with verizon, there is NO attempt to even acknowledge the contract when you sign up for service, it is simply printed out and handed to you with your receipt. that is deceitful in and of itself...and can be taken as a default on their part.

third. the last i checked, it was also against vzn's tos to steam any content from the web with your phone...ie radio, etc. maybe this has changed. but if it hasn't, vzn encourages it's users to break their own tos by featuring apps like slacker, which is an app that allows you to stream radio. i have used both slacker and tetherberry at the same time and monitored my usage and slacker uses far more data (in my normal using) than tetherberry.

now going over 5g's is a violation no matter how you slice it.

But you sign the contract, which then means you understand it and accept it, cant argue with your signature on it. they dont have to read it to you, you arent 10 years old. read it then sign. or do you just sign your name to any paper someone puts in from of you. especially with it being a 2 year locked agreement with penalty for early termination. When you ask them to go over it do they decline to?? NO, therefor it is not a default because they are not denying you any service . No Verizon doesnt put out slacker. RIM put Slacker radio in BB App World. So no verizon doesnt break there own TOS. RIM does. And Tetherberry uses a **** of a lot more Data than Slacker. I use Slacker all the time for Music at work and i have never gone over 200MB's a month of Data. i listen to it about 3 or so hours a day and thats all i get.
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 04-22-09 at 01:28 PM.
    04-22-09 01:24 PM
    But you sign the contract, which then means you understand it and accept it, cant argue with your signature on it. they dont have to read it to you, you arent 10 years old. read it then sign. or do you just sign your name to any paper someone puts in from of you. especially with it being a 2 year locked agreement with penalty for early termination. When you ask them to go over it do they decline to?? NO, therefor it is not a default because they are not denying you any service . No Verizon doesnt put out slacker. RIM put Slacker radio in BB App World. So no verizon doesnt break there own TOS. RIM does
    Well tough guy, there are a lot of consumer protection laws (whether you agree with them or not). Most of the time these contracts that you sign are difficult or impossible to enforce by Verizon or whoever. There is NO way Verizon can win a dispute over overage charges on a service they advertise as "unlimited" without first giving you a warning.
    04-22-09 01:34 PM
    Well tough guy, there are a lot of consumer protection laws (whether you agree with them or not). Most of the time these contracts that you sign are difficult or impossible to enforce by Verizon or whoever. There is NO way Verizon can win a dispute over overage charges on a service they advertise as "unlimited" without first giving you a warning.
    Thats why it is in the TOS tough guy. it wasnt before and now to cover themselves they put it in there. they did lose one over the Unlimited cap situation. But thats when they inserted that into the TOS everyone signed. So now they have signed documents that you understand that unlimited is 5GB. So the next time you insert information read and understand it first.
    04-22-09 01:39 PM
    after reading all these different post in the tetherberry threads, this is my thought on this subject. i am not a lawyer, but i play one on tv. ok...i can't back that up, but i do deal a lot in contracts.�
    Chip, you might not be a lawyer (I am) but you did an excellent job explaining this. Your analysis is also correct.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 01:40 PM
    PART OF VERIZON TOS. That you signed when you got your phone contract.

It IS for what you use on your phone. This applies to ALL dataplans with people who use Verizon. thats why this came out because of the big issue a while back with people suing Verizon for the cap because it was not stated. Now it is plaintly stated as for use on your phone and NOT tethering.

Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine–to–machine connections or peer–to–peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Unlimited Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 04-22-09 at 01:55 PM.
    04-22-09 01:52 PM
    PART OF VERIZON TOS. That you signed when you got your phone contract.

It IS for what you use on your phone. This applies to ALL dataplans with people who use Verizon. thats why this came out because of the big issue a while back with people suing Verizon for the cap because it was not stated. Now it is plaintly stated as for use on your phone and NOT tethering.

Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine�to�machine connections or peer�to�peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Unlimited Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.
    That implicitly says that they won't bother you as long as you keep it under 5GB.
    04-22-09 01:58 PM
    That implicitly says that they won't bother you as long as you keep it under 5GB.
    Yes you are correct and that redirecting data for use on laptops is prohibited. Which is all true. If you use 20GB of course they are going to look at you harder. lolol Under 5GB or even 6-8 they probably wont even bother you
    04-22-09 02:00 PM
    Yes you are correct and that redirecting data for use on laptops is prohibited.
    Yeah well so it using the YouTube app on your phone... So be a good boy and uninstall it.
    04-22-09 02:02 PM
    Yeah well so it using the YouTube app on your phone... So be a good boy and uninstall it.
    Well if i did use the youtube app to begin with i never go above 200MB's a month so no issues. plus i dont use my phone to tether, so be a good boy and go back to momma and try again.
    04-22-09 02:11 PM
    Well if i did use the youtube app to begin with i never go above 200MB's a month so no issues. plus i dont use my phone to tether, so be a good boy and go back to momma and try again.
    I am confused. It is OKAY to violate the TOS as long as you stay under 200MB/month? So I can tether up to 200MB and be OKAY?
    04-22-09 02:13 PM
    I am confused. It is OKAY to violate the TOS as long as you stay under 200MB/month? So I can tether up to 200MB and be OKAY?
    Uhhhh ok... i dont use youtube for 1 and two, i dont tether, so yea staying at 200MB is ok Now where that violates TOS is beyond me, but its ok i know you need it explained and read back you. the issue is with TETHERING, NOT normal use of data on phone. Hard to understand i know. So yeah you could use youtube ON YOUR PHONE and stay under 5GB and be ok. That is not tethering data to your laptop or desktop when you have no Tethering package. next time read before you open you D*** Skinner
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 04-22-09 at 02:21 PM.
    04-22-09 02:17 PM
    Uhhhh ok... i dont use youtube for 1 and two, i dont tether, so yea staying at 200MB is ok Now where that violates TOS is beyond me, but its ok i know you need it explained and read back you
    How about 201MB? Is that okay? 202? 203? 204? 5119?
    04-22-09 02:19 PM
    Love me some forum drama
    04-22-09 02:19 PM
    How about 201MB? Is that okay? 202? 203? 204? 5119?
    sure as long as it is on your phone and you are not tethering to PC without tethering package.
    Actually, even 5120MB is good too. :-)
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 04-22-09 at 02:27 PM.
    04-22-09 02:25 PM
    Love me some forum drama
    Me too, its great. LOL
    04-22-09 02:25 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD