I have done plenty of searching and appreciate all the threads about wiping and JL_Cmder. Here's my dilemma:

My phone has been resetting randomly about 3-4 times a day for a week. I finally call Verizon tech support. They guy asks me if I installed .75. I tell him it came installed and it has been resetting since before I added any applications. He sounds surprised. He looks at his documentation for a few moments and tells me that upgrade was supposed to fix this. Tells me to wipe handheld and repush through the update.

Does this sound reasonable or should I use JL_Cmder? I don't want to screw up my phone. Has anyone else had resets done a hard reset and the problem is resolved? Or should I just ask for a new unit?

Thanks guys. Again, I searched and didn't find an exact answer to this question.
    12-22-08 04:55 PM
    Your tech guy is telling you one thing, but you may have it confused with another.

Your service books are the content that your carrier provides. They are most likely the solution they suggested.

Wiping the data, done from the Options menu, will erase your data, that is likley what was suggested.

Wiping with JL_Cmdr will mean a total rebuild of your device software. It is not likely they would tell you to do that.

Last edited by Reed McLay; 12-22-08 at 05:05 PM.
    12-22-08 05:01 PM
    I understand that. My question is will what verizon is telling me actually help or should I use jl_cmdr?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 06:08 PM
    You won't know until you give it a try. If you do the hard reset and it doesn't correct the issue then they should replace the device. If you do things to the device that they don't advise and you totally brick the phone then it could be on you to purchase another device.
    12-22-08 06:25 PM
    I had a problem with an earlier OS (either .75 or .76 I don't remember) It was restarting randomly. I backed up all my stuff including 3rd party apps and did a JL wipe. When I reinstalled the OS the problem was gone.
    12-22-08 06:29 PM
    I understand that. My question is will what verizon is telling me actually help or should I use jl_cmdr?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What Verizon is telling you to do will do nothing but put the phone back into the condition it came from the factory. If you're having those problems, I would suggest doing some research on wiping with JL_Cmder and go ahead and do it and then reload the OS. Make sure you backup before starting the process. Also, theres a guide in the How-To forum.
    12-22-08 06:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD