So i just picked up a storm 2 that was originally locked to Verizon but unlocked to use on Rogers wireless. The phone is perfectly fine but the one issue i'm having is with the reception.

At random times (sometimes every 20-30 mins) the signal will switch down from EDGE to edge allowing me to do absolutely nothing aside from make phone calls.

The settings that i'm currently using are:
    -Network Selection Mode-----Automatic
    -Network Technology--------GSM/UMTS
    -Network Mode--------------3G & 2G

And the OS is 5.0.0.713 if that helps.

I could be a software issue and i'm hoping that it is, or even a setting that i have missed. If there is anyone that knows a fix for this...please...let me know!!!

Thanks.
    07-12-10 08:55 AM
    signal will switch down from EDGE to edge

The settings that i'm currently using are:
    -Network Selection Mode-----Automatic
    -Network Technology--------GSM/UMTS
    -Network Mode--------------3G & 2G
    Well done! The above information is very informative!

Mind I ask, does your telco require TCP/IP or APN to access the BIS?

Currently do you have any settings in the TCP/IP?

Also did you set data roaming to NO?
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-12-10 at 10:44 AM.
    07-12-10 09:28 AM
    Well done! The above information is very imformative!

Mind I ask, does your telco require TCP/IP or APN to access the BIS?

Currently do you have any settings in the TCP/IP?

Also did you set data roaming to NO?
    The TCP/IP says that the APN settings enabled (APN:emgsm.vzw3g.com) and the APN authentication box is not selected therefore obviously not enabled.

Currently the data is roaming is turned to on. I'll see if theres a difference when i turn it on off.

Thanks.
    07-12-10 10:05 AM
    The TCP/IP says that the APN settings enabled (APN:emgsm.vzw3g.com)
    If you are not a VERIZON subscriber user, then please uncheck and clear the TCP/IP settings for verizon. you dont need it. What makes you think verizon will grant you free data access when you dont even subscribe to their service? just citing example.

Having the TCP/IP or APN setting even without password will interrupt your mobile network.

Pls try remove it first then off/on your mobile connection. let me know the outcome, i will let you know what to do next.
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-12-10 at 10:46 AM.
    07-12-10 10:43 AM
    Data roaming should not make a difference.

The only time i've had issues keeping EDGE was when the above mentioned APN setting has been enabled (if it's not enabled you shouldn't see any info listed).

Otherwise you can try re-sending service book and re-registering under Host Routing Table.
    If none of this works try re-loading the OS.
    07-12-10 10:58 AM
    If none of this works try re-loading the OS.
    I don't think he need to re-load OS. Reset to factory default may bring back all the unwanted settings from verizon.

His problem is not major, definitely due settings.
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-12-10 at 11:09 AM.
    07-12-10 11:03 AM
    If you are not a VERIZON subscriber user, then please uncheck and clear the TCP/IP settings for verizon. you dont need it. What makes you think verizon will grant you free data access when you dont even subscribe to their service? just citing example.

Having the TCP/IP or APN setting even without password will interrupt your mobile network.

Pls try remove it first then off/on your mobile connection. let me know the outcome, i will let you know what to do next.
    Ok so now in the TCP/IP menu, no boxes are checked and I have also reset the mobile connection.

Currently my phone is on EDGE which is a good sign, but lets see how long it holds that up for.

What are the next steps if any?

Thanks again for the help!!
    07-12-10 11:19 AM
    Ok so now in the TCP/IP menu, no boxes are checked and I have also reset the mobile connection.

Currently my phone is on EDGE which is a good sign, but lets see how long it holds that up for.

What are the next steps if any?

Thanks again for the help!!
    If you are free can see this post. Hope give u an idea. http://forums.crackberry.com/f145/bb...6/#post5338320

In addition, giving you a suggestion if your telco support multi network.

1. on main home screen, click on network icon
    2. select Mobile Network Options
    3. Press bb menu button
    4. Select My Preferred Network List
    5. Press bb menu button
    6. Press Add Network
    7. Press Select From Avail. Network

Now, look through the network listing. Add ONLY YOUR TELCO. If already exist in the preferred listing, it will prompt you. It may also prompt you for 3G or 2G.

You may/may not see whole chunk of network operators around the world. This may or may not help but worth a try. But I do believe our phone scan the listing.

Using the bb menu button move your telco network to the top of list. rebooting the phone may bring back unwanted listing but i yet to try. if you do reboot later can feedback to share.

e.g. for my telco

1. M1-3GSM --- 3G 525/3
    2. M1-3GSM --- 2G 525/3
    The rest i simply deleted them.

If you see above, you will notice there is 2 types of network for my telco, one is 3G and one is 2G.

Hope my posting help you resolve the problem you facing. At least you make effort to follow my instruction to troubleshoot and feedback. There's someone out there who don't appreciate and just keep nagging. I hope he/she is not reading this post.

forgot...please note and configure all your 3rd party apps to use AUTO network selection or BIS or WIFI. This is done at individual apps setting. mostly default to auto.

If you are free and kind, can you try access m.youtube.com using your bb browser? then click to view one video.

Once the bb media player launch. kindly feedback if you are able to view and play the video. i have some more info for you.
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-12-10 at 11:51 AM.
    07-12-10 11:39 AM
    Sounds good, i'll try and do what I can when I get the chance. I just hope it all works out for me. Because even now after trying the setting you specified before, I have switched down to edge twice.

Thanks once again for all the help!!
    07-12-10 12:03 PM
    Since you can only get EDGE (2G) on Rogers with an unlocked Verizon Storm2, also try the following. Go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options and change the Network Mode to 2G only. This should improve the signal strength as your phone won't constantly be trying to search for a non-existent 3G signal.
    07-12-10 12:12 PM
    Sounds good, i'll try and do what I can when I get the chance. I just hope it all works out for me. Because even now after trying the setting you specified before, I have switched down to edge twice.

Thanks once again for all the help!!
    For your info, my country is small and network coverage is suppose to be so good. But still sometime i will also get some network switching.

What I hate most is the telco performing backend maintenance quietly.

To ensure you are getting all the correct settings, make sure Options>Advance Options>Host Routing Table>bb menu>Register now.

The BIS server will connect your phone and contact your phone. In most case, you will receive a message from blackberry telling you registration successful. All your service book settings should be using your HRT apn
    Last edited by titusilvering; 07-12-10 at 12:17 PM.
    07-12-10 12:12 PM
    Since you can only get EDGE (2G) on Rogers with an unlocked Verizon Storm2, also try the following. Go to Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options and change the Network Mode to 2G only. This should improve the signal strength as your phone won't constantly be trying to search for a non-existent 3G signal.
    +1
    1st thing I did. There's no sense loosing battery looking for a signal you can't use...
    07-12-10 12:52 PM
    Great Information All, Thanks for the help. Wish I had found this site before I bought my unlocked Storm 2.. I do love this phone though. Hope the next generation is available from my service provider so I get the best service available.
    07-13-10 09:30 PM
    Why we can't use the3G network from Rogers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 10:52 AM
    Why we can't use the3G network from Rogers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No North American GSM carrier uses a 3G frequency that would work with the Storm 2.

Unfortunately the Storm's GSM receivers are not compatible.
    08-11-10 01:40 PM
    to the OG poster

I have the same issue. EDGE goes to edge usually a couple times an hour..never longer than a minute or two though. Yeah its a little bit annoying but only when your using data services....
    08-11-10 05:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD