If i got a unlocked Verizon storm 2, and i use the phone in Canada, does the phone support 3G?
    04-17-10 10:22 PM
    simple answer nope
    04-17-10 10:57 PM
    No it won't support 3G in Canada. I just got an unlocked verizon S2 last week that I traded for my 9700 and thats the only thing I really miss is the 3G.
    04-17-10 10:58 PM
    what does 3G do?
    04-17-10 11:05 PM
    Its the voice and data coverage. Downloading/Uploading information. 3G is like broadband on your computer compared to dial up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 11:18 PM
    So if I get a data plan in Canada it won't work with my blackberry?is there any way around it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-10 11:33 PM
    I used my BB Storm 1 in Canada for over a year. Yes, it will work fine there, except that you won't be on G3, just 1X. Data rates are much slower than G3, but it will work. I got the North American plan, with unlimited data in Canada, US, and much of Mexico.
    04-18-10 06:05 PM
    This has been discussed MANY times in this forum.

In short the Storm does not support North American 3G GSM frequencies - ie: you will NOT get 3G on any North American GSM carrier. There is no way around that.

1X is CDMA 3G (technology Verizon uses in the US and Bell & Telus in Canada).
    An unlocked Storm 2 will only work on Rogers or Fido in Canada (GSM carriers). The best you'll get is EDGE (2.5G).
    Main deference besides data transfer speeds is that on 3G you can be on a call and access the data stream at the same time (EG. receive a BBM or surf the web).
    Last edited by fnord; 04-18-10 at 07:20 PM.
    04-18-10 07:15 PM
    Fnord, again, you're wrong...it has not be discussed "MANY" times, it has been discussed a BAZILLION times (just kiddin').

Yep, to the OP, try doing some searches before starting a new thread to ask for help with an issue that may have been covered to death in the past. Too many threads on the same topic only serve to dilute the responses and become less of a resource to those actually needing an answer. Don't feel bad, people do it all the time (I've been guilty of it myself in the past). Except that usually, they'll begin the thread with "I searched for this and couldn't find an answer" ("Oh, really? Hugh, I just did a search and pulled up 13 threads on the same topic) or, my personal favorite (just happened the other day) "I don't have time to look for this, but what can I do about....blah, blah, blah." Those threads irritate the heck out of me and I'll usually post "gosh, I'd answer, but I don't have the time......" (just being sarcastic to make a point.

Anyway, that's considered to be good netitquette!

This has been discussed MANY times in this forum.

In short the Storm does not support North American 3G GSM frequencies - ie: you will NOT get 3G on any North American GSM carrier. There is no way around that.
    04-18-10 07:20 PM
    Fnord, again, you're wrong...it has not be discussed "MANY" times, it has been discussed a BAZILLION times (just kiddin').

Yep, to the OP, try doing some searches before starting a new thread to ask for help with an issue that may have been covered to death in the past.

Anyway, that's considered to be good netitquette!
    LOL, I was just trying to be polite , but you hit the nail in the head.

The search feature is my best friend and I recommend it to everyone!
    04-18-10 07:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD