I was in a Verizon store in my local mall today, and I discovered that Verizon sales associates have no idea what is happening. They are trained to sell phones to people who have no idea what the difference between a smart phone and your basic flip phone is. When I asked a store employee if they had heard anything about a Storm 2 launch date they said "I haven't heard anything about a new storm". So I drew one conclusion, this guy is not interested in cell phones at all. Wouldn't it help to have that kind of information handy if by chance someone walks in who knows a thing or to. Because what if some one like myself walks into that store and asks questions knowing full well what the answers are, and you either lie to me or tell me the wrong answer. Your going to look like a fool. Okay, well that's just my rant for the night.
    05-27-09 01:21 AM
    Verizon employees are not allowed to discuss phones that have not been announced yet.
    05-27-09 01:26 AM
    I doubt that Verizon could even begin to stop their employees from discussing phones that haven't been announced.
    05-27-09 01:44 AM
    Weekendbum is correct. I used to try to help customers by sharing rumors with them, but it backfired because if it was wrong all of the sudden I become the **** (Storm .141 May release).

"Because what if some one like myself walks into that store and asks questions knowing full well what the answers are, and you either lie to me or tell me the wrong answer. Your going to look like a fool."

That's probably why he admitted he didn't know anything perhaps?
    05-27-09 02:04 AM
    Verizon employees are supposed to know about the products they sell, not products that have never been announced. Plus, discussing future phones, especially ones that aren't even official yet, won't be good for sales and it is unprofessional.

Finally, you need to realize that cell phones might be one of your personal interests, but for most people they are just a day-to-day tool. The sales people in the store should be knowledgeable about their products (this is not always the case), but they can't be expected to sit around and read phone forums all day to obsess over which phones are coming out.

Also, why are you asking salespeople questions that you know the answers to? Do you have nothing better to do or no other way to feel good about yourself? Sorry, that came out more offensive than I intended, but I just don't see the point.
    05-27-09 02:10 AM
    Verizon employees are supposed to know about the products they sell, not products that have never been announced. Plus, discussing future phones, especially ones that aren't even official yet, won't be good for sales and it is unprofessional.

Finally, you need to realize that cell phones might be one of your personal interests, but for most people they are just a day-to-day tool. The sales people in the store should be knowledgeable about their products (this is not always the case), but they can't be expected to sit around and read phone forums all day to obsess over which phones are coming out.

Also, why are you asking salespeople questions that you know the answers to? Do you have nothing better to do or no other way to feel good about yourself? Sorry, that came out more offensive than I intended, but I just don't see the point.
    That is true. Also, there are no real answers yet but since you know the release date and storm 1 official update please enlighten us. No vzw rep will ever know until 1-3 weeks before about any release... So don't take it out on them for not knowing. We are people too just like yourself we follow rules (most of us) and know what we need to know not speculations. The storm 2 looks to be a definite, but its a ways away it looks like and no rep,manager,customer service rep, tech, or district manager will know anything. At all. Even the tour "July. 13th" speculative release is here say, we will know for sure when vzw wants us to and nothing has been communicated out about any future blackberrys

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by pkcable; 06-04-09 at 08:52 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    05-27-09 02:27 AM
    I doubt that Verizon could even begin to stop their employees from discussing phones that haven't been announced.
    Employees who care about their jobs do not talk about phones that haven't been announced yet on the clock. Talking on forums is a little different.
    05-27-09 03:29 AM
    Are you serious? You are asking Verizon Employees about a phone that hasnt been announced, is just rumored and might or might not get released? A Launch date? LOL, Epic Fail!!!
    05-27-09 04:39 AM
    Leave the verizon employees alone. They are not there to be tested by you to ascertain their level of knowledge about speculation!
    05-27-09 06:01 AM
    I just get the feeling that some people on these boards feel the need to go in and ask foolish questions, or state that they have so they can post on these boards about their accomplishments and how **** poor they feel Verizon and their staff are.
    05-27-09 06:22 AM
    Since their jobs are to sell you a phone that they have under the counter, discussing a new and better phone that will come out later this year hurts their chance at selling you a phone today.

It would be like someone at Best Buy saying "Don't buy a Blu Ray today, something better is coming out sometime this year".
    05-27-09 08:01 AM
    Exactly, why would i want to discuss upcoming products with you, I am trained to sell sell sell. We want to get you into a device that meets your needs now, not something that will be out in 6 months or a year, thats just stupid. I do have customers that i become buddy buddy with and may discuss something cool in the rumor mill but thats about as far as it goes. Us employees know more than we lead on but are under strict rules to not discuss certain things. If you go buy a car you think the salesman is going to talk about the 2012 Escalade that will be out next year!!!!!
    05-27-09 08:13 AM
    I was in a Verizon store in my local mall today, and I discovered that Verizon sales associates have no idea what is happening. They are trained to sell phones to people who have no idea what the difference between a smart phone and your basic flip phone is. When I asked a store employee if they had heard anything about a Storm 2 launch date they said "I haven't heard anything about a new storm". So I drew one conclusion, this guy is not interested in cell phones at all. Wouldn't it help to have that kind of information handy if by chance someone walks in who knows a thing or to. Because what if some one like myself walks into that store and asks questions knowing full well what the answers are, and you either lie to me or tell me the wrong answer. Your going to look like a fool. Okay, well that's just my rant for the night.
    I used to work at the store level, and I have to say, anytime and I do me ANYTIME... someone like you came in, asking about things we would tell you its all a lie before we would even speculate with you. You undermind us and the people that are there looking for phones. A sales person is just that sales. I cant sell you a dream so when you go in and ask about something that doesnt "exsit" to us you dont exsit.

You are one of the people that come in that dropped your phone in the lake, and are pissed that we wont replace it for free. Just because you have no life doesnt me we dont. The store level sales people (i would say most but not all) know every phone there pretty damn good. About a week before a new phone is on the shelf they know that phone pretty damn good.

So in short and in closing, get a life. If you want to know about storm 2 you have crackberry. Leave those people to try and make their money.
    05-27-09 08:14 AM
    You realize that the average Verizon sales rep knows about as much as... you? Its not as if their sales team is some specialized group of standout individuals - Their sales team knows probably about as much as you do if you are on this site.
    05-27-09 08:23 AM
    I agree some do not know, but then there are some that do.
    Everyone isn't a techno freak like us on these boards.
    I did however have a store tech a while back offer
    to upgrade my Storm to .122.
    So it really all depends, I also go to that store a lot.
    I am just lucky to have a rappore with the mgr there.
    We share info back and forth; and I might add that
    the store a lot of the times is not that busy.
    Also u need to ask when u walk in is anyone
    pretty good with a BB or say a win mo device.
    U might get oh ummm yeah John is pretty
    sharp yadda and they direct u to that person.
    Like I said I have been pretty lucky when it
    comes to my in store VZW experience.
    05-27-09 08:49 AM
    dont peg us as not knowing anything, but why are we going to talk about something that will be out in the future when our job is to sell you whats in the store at that moment.

plus.. id rather say i dont know and leave it at that then to start getting a barrage of questions like how much, can i trade in my storm for it, will they switch it for free, questions like that we dont know the answer to yet
    Last edited by B-RY; 05-27-09 at 10:02 AM.
    05-27-09 09:59 AM
    Now that i think about it, when i went to go look at a storm in december, i started talking about upgrading. He said "you're not eligible until May, and by that time they will probably have a new version out". I remember looking at that dude like he was drinking windex but I he's not too far off. VZW reps probably know more than you think haha.
    05-27-09 10:16 AM
    Dissagree with all. I think the VZW employee could say," Oh yea, I have read about it online, but we do not have any confirmation of such here. It does look like a neat new phone, maybe we will get it. How do you like the one you have currently? Would you like me to call you when we get in new Blackberry's?"

To me, this is how it should be handled....
    05-27-09 10:53 AM
    Why would a rep tell you a new phone is around the corner? They want the the sell that day, not for you to come back later and purchase it from someone else.
    05-27-09 11:14 AM
    Do you have a job? Have you ever had a job in sales dealing with people? I do and I've been told countless times not to yet discuss products with people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 11:20 AM
    I understand what you're all saying, and I agree. It was wrong for me to try and "test" him when he was just doing his job. I will admit though that I have had horrible experiences when it comes to verizon reps. I am talking about the ones over the phone for the most part.
    05-27-09 11:31 AM
    understandable... but keep in mind that when a customer comes in and asks about the storm 2 or if the iphone is coming to verizon we know youve been snooping around on the internet, trust us we spread these rumors around the store as well but thats what they are until finalized so we cant tell that to customers.
    05-27-09 11:50 AM
    Dissagree with all. I think the VZW employee could say," Oh yea, I have read about it online, but we do not have any confirmation of such here. It does look like a neat new phone, maybe we will get it. How do you like the one you have currently? Would you like me to call you when we get in new Blackberry's?"

To me, this is how it should be handled....
    I am the only rep in my store that frequents any type of cell ohone message board. VZW will tell us about releases 1-3 weeks in advance. As a matter of fact, I have 2 people coming in today that want EnV3s because I tipped them off on the date. Probably not the smartest move in my book but it didnt backfire this time. It may backfire if I test my luck again. In the store meeting this morning, a few reps didnt even know the EnV3 is launching today.
    05-29-09 10:06 AM
    Answer this question for me. If you sat around and got beatup all day by people about cell phones would you want to go home and look around for leaked info on the internet?

There is no reason a VZW employee would talk about a device they have not received training on, touched, given a launch date etc etc...

Why would you think for a minute a store employee would have the same knowledge as the CEO about future device launches?

It would be stupid for the sales person to give you a wrong answer. That would more than likely come back and bite him in the a$$, but if he tells the truth at least his half wit manager can back him up.
    05-29-09 08:51 PM
    I agree some do not know, but then there are some that do.
    Everyone isn't a techno freak like us on these boards.
    I did however have a store tech a while back offer
    to upgrade my Storm to .122.
    So it really all depends, I also go to that store a lot.
    I am just lucky to have a rappore with the mgr there.
    We share info back and forth; and I might add that
    the store a lot of the times is not that busy.
    Also u need to ask when u walk in is anyone
    pretty good with a BB or say a win mo device.
    U might get oh ummm yeah John is pretty
    sharp yadda and they direct u to that person.
    Like I said I have been pretty lucky when it
    comes to my in store VZW experience.
    Most of the store techs are not employees of VZW. The store reps, mgrs etc are, but the techs are not. They are through a 3rd party.
    05-29-09 09:00 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD