No, doesn't ruin my day. Your post just reinforces what others are saying about VZW salespeople.

And, your post is not rude. Just ignorant.

If you treat people like they are buying cigs at the service station, then you will continue to be paid and treated like that from VZW. If you want to be the #1 phone salesman in the nation, you will have to change the way you do business. It's up to you how you sell and see yourself. How big a salesman you want to be? How much of a positive impact you want to have on x number of people in your city?

Be who ever you want.

jr

Were selling phones here, not curing cancer. Yet again, i was hired to sell phones and thats what i do. And im damn good at it. I have several return customers who bring friends, ive had people i dont know bring me back my business card and request my service. Im very good at my job, thank you.

Matter of fact, whilst working at AT&T, myself and a cowoker were the number 1 and 2 sellers of blackberry in the state. We were awarded free 8310s (i still use mine) and a couple other prizes from RIM.

So.. seems like what im doing is working.

So if you want to go to a retail store, and make a life long friend, and bug the sales associate for 3 hours with your questions you could find out for yourself the same way he could, thats your decision. Ill be the guy in the background making the cash register open and close. Thats what i get paid to do, and thats what im good at.

Ill be back later, i have a customer now.

Cheers.
    06-19-09 11:59 AM
    Are you serious? You are asking Verizon Employees about a phone that hasnt been announced, is just rumored and might or might not get released? A Launch date? LOL, Epic Fail!!!
    +1

and to the OP:
    When I was in the stores, I would play dumb to people asking me about dumbphones that were on the radar, even if I had it in my inventory room waiting to be sold the next day. Simply due to the fact that when I was hired, I signed a piece of paper saying that I wouldnt discuss such information with anyone. Dut to the assumed competitive dis-advantage it could put onto the company... Still dosnt make sence to me, but I follow it. I'm not losing my job over telling someone the launch date of the Migo. (just a for example, as I had that question prior to its launch)

Now to touch on the idea of spilling the beans about high end, highly anticipated devices akin to the Tour.
    If you ask me at a party about the Tour, I will tell you everything I know, because I'm not on the clock, and nothing I have learned about it was learned from VZW.
    Ask me at work, I will downplay its very existance until launch day. Now with the media storm around the Tour, all I would be able to say is its' on the way. When? I wish I knew.

And thats all you will get from me.

Now there are other reps out there that just dont give a crap about new stuff coming out. I am not one of them, and I make it a point to have product knowledge up the wazoo. Cause I'm both a geek, and extremly competitive.

Now, OP, for you -47.

How dare you expect someone to engage in a conversation regarding a un-announced device. I could tell you November 21st just like the first Storm launched, and I could be wrong.

I forgot where I was going with this, but basically, your a **** for expecting such to come from someone, espically about an unannounced device.
    06-19-09 12:11 PM
    +1

and to the OP:
    When I was in the stores, I would play dumb to people asking me about dumbphones that were on the radar, even if I had it in my inventory room waiting to be sold the next day. Simply due to the fact that when I was hired, I signed a piece of paper saying that I wouldnt discuss such information with anyone. Dut to the assumed competitive dis-advantage it could put onto the company... Still dosnt make sence to me, but I follow it. I'm not losing my job over telling someone the launch date of the Migo. (just a for example, as I had that question prior to its launch)

Now to touch on the idea of spilling the beans about high end, highly anticipated devices akin to the Tour.
    If you ask me at a party about the Tour, I will tell you everything I know, because I'm not on the clock, and nothing I have learned about it was learned from VZW.
    Ask me at work, I will downplay its very existance until launch day. Now with the media storm around the Tour, all I would be able to say is its' on the way. When? I wish I knew.

And thats all you will get from me.

Now there are other reps out there that just dont give a crap about new stuff coming out. I am not one of them, and I make it a point to have product knowledge up the wazoo. Cause I'm both a geek, and extremly competitive.

Now, OP, for you -47.

How dare you expect someone to engage in a conversation regarding a un-announced device. I could tell you November 21st just like the first Storm launched, and I could be wrong.

I forgot where I was going with this, but basically, your a **** for expecting such to come from someone, espically about an unannounced device.

Thank you.

And i stand by my opinion that cell phone customers are the neediest, whiniest people you will ever meet on the face of the planet.
    06-19-09 12:17 PM
    I concur.

06-19-09 12:29 PM
    I have great rapport with a Verizon manager at a store near my house. The reason we have rapport is probably because I did not go in asking questions attempting to trip him up.

I had a phone in mind, he told me the plusses and minuses, and I, as the consumer, made up my mind to purchase. I've had my Storm for a couple of months and couldn't be happier.

Respect built on doing business as an educated consumer, not on speculation gives me a great relationship with my local Verizon store.

Just my .02 worth,

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Rides, Roads, and Eats � Come along for the ride!
    06-19-09 12:55 PM
    Hearing an employee say, "I'm not allowed to comment on future phones" sounds worse than hearing an employee say "I don't know anything about this supposed upcoming phone" -- it implies that they DO know something, but are withholding the information (possibly to help them make sales to customers who would otherwise wait). Even the forum geeks here don't know anything solid about the Storm 2 release date, so let's not crucify some poor sales rep just for being honest and saying that they have no knowledge of the launch date. Not knowing the launch date of a future phone that has not been officially announced has no bearing on one's knowledge of phones that have been released and are currently on sale.
    06-19-09 03:58 PM
    I don't think it is right to go into a store and ask questions you know the answers to. That IS dishonest. Nor would it ever be a normal person's desire to waste a salesman's time.

But it is dishonest ( or dumb ) for the salesman to act like he knows nothing about a future phone. Sure, he may not know the launch date, but to act like he has never heard of a Tour, or Storm 2, makes him seem out of touch.

There are a lot of time wasters in sales. But, these can be weeded quickly and easily with good answers and then, " are you looking to buy a phone today?"
    Then "ring the register" or move on.

There is no need for word games. People, most normal people, just want good information.

jr
    06-19-09 04:13 PM
    Hmm the employees "Don't know anything" yet I'm sure you will be one of the first ones to upgrade to that wonderful new BlackBerry (whatever it might be) and resign the contract...then complain again for the next 2 years. Sigh.
    06-19-09 04:36 PM
    I don't think it is right to go into a store and ask questions you know the answers to. That IS dishonest. Nor would it ever be a normal person's desire to waste a salesman's time.

But it is dishonest ( or dumb ) for the salesman to act like he knows nothing about a future phone. Sure, he may not know the launch date, but to act like he has never heard of a Tour, or Storm 2, makes him seem out of touch.

There are a lot of time wasters in sales. But, these can be weeded quickly and easily with good answers and then, " are you looking to buy a phone today?"
    Then "ring the register" or move on.

There is no need for word games. People, most normal people, just want good information.

jr
    And most normal people, including the normal people who are hired as sales reps, probably HAVEN'T heard of the Storm 2 or, prior to this week, the Tour. The only reason I know about either of them is because I'm constantly on CrackBerry. If it weren't for tech blogs, I wouldn't even have known that Verizon's Tour site went live.
    06-19-09 04:50 PM
    To settle all the BS, i am a rep with over 10 yrs experience under my belt... We are not allowed to talk about upcoming phones and services because it has a direct impact on the market... ie talking about a phone or plan that a possible competitor could use this info to gain an advantage over us... If you feel this stupid you have to realize that companies are here to make money and be the choice of our customers. simply put if we are play a sport and i tell you my plays would you not have an advantage over me in beating me in that game? oh and yes if we talk and get caught we can get fired. Long story short we have pretty good knowledge in the field they make us do trainings on all new phones that are about to come out to the market.
    06-20-09 12:27 AM
    Hearing an employee say, "I'm not allowed to comment on future phones" sounds worse than hearing an employee say "I don't know anything about this supposed upcoming phone" -- it implies that they DO know something, but are withholding the information (possibly to help them make sales to customers who would otherwise wait). Even the forum geeks here don't know anything solid about the Storm 2 release date, so let's not crucify some poor sales rep just for being honest and saying that they have no knowledge of the launch date. Not knowing the launch date of a future phone that has not been officially announced has no bearing on one's knowledge of phones that have been released and are currently on sale.
    Or maybe like they have said the NDA you sign that says you can not...here want to make sure you get that

CAN NOT discuss. There are things we do and dont this thread was started on that fact that they dont know anything, when inturn they do. They know plenty, but what you have to ask yourself are 2 questions.

1) is this guy going to risk his job for maybe a 50-75 dollar commisson for me?

2) How big of a ****** am I for walking in and asking someone to give up the job they have for me?

There are things these people can and can not tlak about. On top of that if I tell you a phone is coming on xx-xx-xxxx they always release cheaper online... Why would you come back to the store when you will save 75 dollars ordering it and not having to wait inline?

just a thought
    06-20-09 07:14 AM
    I'm gonna get flamed by everyone, but i dont care...won't be the first time.

Sales people IN STORE are pretty rude most times. Someone even wrote in here that the customers are whiney, and they just sell phones, GET EM IN, GET EM OUT!

That sucks for customers when someone is in that mode...there IS a happy medium that a handful have accomplished.

Customers that walk into a store expecting a sales person to sit in a corner with them and gossip about the latest phone because they care more about a FREAKIN PHONE than anything else, well, they have a serious problem and need to put down the phone and go play with their kids, kiss their wife or roll around with their girlfriend/boyfriend..whatever.

Too much pettiness on both ends. No one gives a rats *** about anyone else....sales people dont care, they just want the sale (which they will get plus referals if they took a different attitude..not all are like that mind you), and ridiculous customers expecting to get the INSIDE scoop on something that really, in REAL LIFE terms means nothing, well, they really should be ignored and absolutely will walk out whining about bad sales people.

Rodney King...where are you..."Cant we all just get along?" lol...

Of course not! Oh, and people....ITS A PHONE! and Sales People...we help pay the rent, have a little patience.
    06-20-09 07:51 AM
    I am a senior sales rep for the largest independent dealer of DYSON and Miele vacuums in the USA...I take phone sales from a home office (nice perk after 10 years), so I know the drill about the balance of customers, customer service, making friends, and spilling info about upcoming products and getting to the next customer as I work on commission also.....(And if you think Phone customers are passionate, you should see vac customers..LOL)

I try to take as long as I can with any customers questions, as long as the sales queue isn't lining up with sales calls. I have repeat customers who always ask for me, as I know the product, and they trust me.

But you guys also have to remember one thing. While it may not be fair to the customer looking for info only, and is just shopping, to have the sales rep go on to a buying customer, it is also not fair to the buying customer who also needs sales help and can't get anyone to talk to.

So as long as I have time, I will spend any time needed to help a customer. But if there are people waiting, I have to be fair to everyone.
    06-20-09 08:37 AM
    I'm gonna get flamed by everyone, but i dont care...won't be the first time.

Sales people IN STORE are pretty rude most times. Someone even wrote in here that the customers are whiney, and they just sell phones, GET EM IN, GET EM OUT!

That sucks for customers when someone is in that mode...there IS a happy medium that a handful have accomplished.

Customers that walk into a store expecting a sales person to sit in a corner with them and gossip about the latest phone because they care more about a FREAKIN PHONE than anything else, well, they have a serious problem and need to put down the phone and go play with their kids, kiss their wife or roll around with their girlfriend/boyfriend..whatever.

Too much pettiness on both ends. No one gives a rats *** about anyone else....sales people dont care, they just want the sale (which they will get plus referals if they took a different attitude..not all are like that mind you), and ridiculous customers expecting to get the INSIDE scoop on something that really, in REAL LIFE terms means nothing, well, they really should be ignored and absolutely will walk out whining about bad sales people.

Rodney King...where are you..."Cant we all just get along?" lol...

Of course not! Oh, and people....ITS A PHONE! and Sales People...we help pay the rent, have a little patience.
    Im gonna venture to say you have never worked in sales, or in any kind of HR related field. Dont lie to try and look cool on the internet, you havent. Tell ya what, drive down to your local VZW or cell phone store of your choice. Sit there for about 30 minutes and watch the interactions from the wonderful "normal" people who walk in. Try to imagine yourself having to be the one to sort out all there nonsense. Then rethink your answer.

Btw, the average "normal" person is a complete ID10T. (that word is censored?)
    And most normal people, including the normal people who are hired as sales reps, probably HAVEN'T heard of the Storm 2 or, prior to this week, the Tour. The only reason I know about either of them is because I'm constantly on CrackBerry. If it weren't for tech blogs, I wouldn't even have known that Verizon's Tour site went live.
    DING!

Have any of you considered that maybe this isnt a career for everyone employed? maybe just a job until they get out of school.. Hmmm.. makes sense..

By George I think that may be it!
    06-20-09 10:04 AM
    Im gonna venture to say you have never worked in sales, or in any kind of HR related field. Dont lie to try and look cool on the internet, you havent. Tell ya what, drive down to your local VZW or cell phone store of your choice. Sit there for about 30 minutes and watch the interactions from the wonderful "normal" people who walk in. Try to imagine yourself having to be the one to sort out all there nonsense. Then rethink your answer.

Btw, the average "normal" person is a complete ID10T. (that word is censored?)

DING!

Have any of you considered that maybe this isnt a career for everyone employed? maybe just a job until they get out of school.. Hmmm.. makes sense..

By George I think that may be it!
    Wow, full of yourself, arent you? LOL...dude, worked sales IN STORE for a few years when I needed a job years ago. Own my own business now and do sales everyday..and I also RETAIN customers and get tons of referals because of my sales skills.

Normal people are Idio1ts? You really proved the title the OP used. You did none of your piers justice my friend. Maybe a nice cubical job would suit you best...where you don't have to deal with NORMAL people...ROFLMAO.

The threads all yours folks!
    06-20-09 10:22 AM
    12elentless:
    i'm gonna have to disagree slightly here. yes, it is extremely frustrating have to work with "normal" people all day, sifting through their incomprehensible squabble to figure out exactly what they are talking about...but that's the job. and yes, i do work in a customer service field. i have the responsibility not to be a total d!ck in the face of absolute frustration. it's something i am constantly training my staff to do.
    also, the categorization of "normal" people as "ID1OTS" is overly simplistic and absolutely unfair. they know what they want, they just don't know how to say it or how easy or difficult it may be for me to provide it.

randy
    06-20-09 10:22 AM
    This thread is going down hill at an alarming rate... this may just need to be the end
    06-20-09 10:26 AM
    Thumbs down Verizon store employees...Dont know anything.
    amen to that!
    06-20-09 10:30 AM
    Normal people are Idio1ts? You really proved the title the OP used. You did none of your piers justice my friend. Maybe a nice cubical job would suit you best...where you don't have to deal with NORMAL people...ROFLMAO.

The threads all yours folks!
    12elentless:
    i'm gonna have to disagree slightly here. yes, it is extremely frustrating have to work with "normal" people all day, sifting through their incomprehensible squabble to figure out exactly what they are talking about...but that's the job. and yes, i do work in a customer service field. i have the responsibility not to be a total d!ck in the face of absolute frustration. it's something i am constantly training my staff to do.
    also, the categorization of "normal" people as "ID1OTS" is overly simplistic and absolutely unfair. they know what they want, they just don't know how to say it or how easy or difficult it may be for me to provide it.

randy
    Wow, you guys get really butthurt over the interawebbernets.

I guess ive come off wrong.

In no way am i ever rude to a customer. If you come in my store im happier than rosie o'donnel with a free buffet pass. No matter what kind of dumb, inbred, mouthbreathing, angry, maniacal, boisterous, talkative, or face-palm inducing people I encounter on a day to day basis, I'm always very professional and polite. Regardless of my own opinions of them or their actions, this is my job, and thats what comes first. Ive been yelled at, cussed out, talked to like a dog that just crapped in the carpet, etc..etc..etc. for bills that were too high, text charges cause their little sweetie sent 2934087 texts without a package, whatever. Thats part of the job. I understand and accept that. Albeit not my favorite perk of employment, its par for the course so you just smile and deal with it.

When I get off work, and go to the pub with friends, then I can be like "Hey this guy came in and yelled at me for an hour bc his bill was too high, swore up and down hed never used the internet, until i showed him dates, times, and what number had been used to download taylor swift ringtones. He yelled at me for an hour about something he was lying about. What a douchebagel" Just like I did in this thread. I was venting. Just like the OP was doing in his post. Just like he was so frustrated by one sales assoc that he didnt understand, that same associate is probably frustrated 3 or 4 times daily by the people he encounters. I was just showing the POV of the sales person whos stuck hearing all this whining all day.

I dont have a problem with customers, im not that sales guy that groans when you walk in, trudges up, sighing everytime you ask a question. Nope, im the bubbly, talkative, informed sales person im paid to be.

There are alot of good customers out there. People im pleased to see walk in the door because I will have a good conversation with, and a pleasant transaction. However, it seems these are overshadowed by the others who think that all the problems of their life are cause by poor cell phone reception, and that young man in the black shirt at the floating desk at verizon is the sole person responsible for this problem.

Keep in mind, when you speak to someone about cell phones, and they say "yeah, i was havin problems with my phone and i went down to _____ and gave that SOB a piece of my mind and gottter fixed!"

Im that SOB. Nice to meet you.

A little respect on my side of the desk would be nice too. My life is still going to continue whether you can call Berma Jean at the trailer two spots down or not. And im going to try alot harder to fix it if youre polite, not if your yelling at me telling me its my fault, sorry.

Anyway, my thesus statement is this-
    Dont get the wrong impression, im not a bad apple of the VZW tree. I was just venting like the OP was doing. I thought thats what the point of this thread was, to express opinion. My main point was whilst your spending your time downtalking the sales rep, try guessing how many times hes heard that today, about things that arent his fault.

Cheers.

Btw, i know thesus(es?) are supposed to be one sentence. its saturday, im exempt.

Btw Pt II-im not trying to sound angry or like and a$$ by any means, because im not. Just stating an opinion.

Btw Pt III- as for the average person is dumb comment, walk into a wal mart at any given time, at any part of the store and just stand there and observe. Those are your average people. Might wanna bring popcorn! lol
    Last edited by 12elentless; 06-20-09 at 10:57 AM.
    06-20-09 10:50 AM
    amen to that!
    Case in point.
    06-20-09 10:55 AM
    a majority of VZW instore reps are idiots. You sound like a stand up guy, but you are a minority. btw, i like your sig.
    06-20-09 11:18 AM
    a majority of VZW instore reps are idiots. You sound like a stand up guy, but you are a minority. btw, i like your sig.
    lol.. Agreed.

There are bad apples on both sides of the tree.
    Like i said, for most guys this is a in between job to get them through college or whatever. Theres a pretty high turnover.

and thanks, i found it pretty amusing. its hilarious how many people try it, then you can see the light bulb over their head right before they smile and start using profanity. lol
    06-20-09 11:22 AM
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    George Carlin
    US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)
    06-20-09 11:42 AM
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    George Carlin
    US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)
    George Carlin was a genius.
    06-20-09 11:43 AM
    Hooked up with the business account rep and trying to covert the entire company. the person there has no idea about phones either. Slightly better than the in store people, but not by much.

VZ CTO says they accept Sprint 8830s into their system, business person says that the inside is differnt and it won't work. When I tried to convice her that this was simply not true, that the guts were EXACTLY the same, she said that just did not matter, they can't be used. had to buy all new phones.

SAD!!
    06-20-09 12:59 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD