What do you think VZW and RIM will do about launching the next gen Storm, launch it on the existing 3G network or wait just a little while more and launch 4G with the next gen Storm?

LINK
    12-16-08 12:04 PM
    Yeah baby, just in time for my annual upgrade..
    Next one should flat out smoke..
    12-16-08 12:06 PM
    Yeah baby, just in time for my annual upgrade..
    Next one should flat out smoke..
    Mine is also up then, I'm glad I pay $250
    12-16-08 12:11 PM
    i say make it LTE compatiable but still eb released with the cdma if that would even fit. not sure really
    12-16-08 12:16 PM
    Whats going to be even more insane is that you're going to able to receive voice and data service where you weren't able to before because of the change to the 700mHz spectrum.
    12-16-08 12:29 PM
    Whats going to be even more insane is that you're going to able to receive voice and data service where you weren't able to before because of the change to the 700mHz spectrum.
    this is a good thing! i don't know much about LTE yet, going to have to start reading!
    12-16-08 12:31 PM
    Yea LTE seems amazing. there will be no such thing as voice and data. It will all be one form of communication, or whatever the word I'm looking for that's escaping me at the moment. Also supposely, the speeds should be near wifi I believe which is very nice.
    12-16-08 12:33 PM
    Just a wonderin'

Could our present Storm's have access to the new 4g network with just a change of the sim card?
    12-16-08 12:45 PM
    4G (also known as Beyond 3G), an abbreviation for Fourth-Generation, is a term used to describe the next complete evolution in wireless communications. A 4G system will be able to provide a comprehensive IP solution where voice, data and streamed multimedia can be given to users on an "Anytime, Anywhere" basis, and at higher data rates than previous generations.
    As the second generation was a total replacement of the first generation networks and handsets; and the third generation was a total replacement of second generation networks and handsets; so too the fourth generation cannot be an incremental evolution of current 3G technologies, but rather the total replacement of the current 3G networks and handsets.
    12-16-08 12:49 PM
    Just a wonderin'

Could our present Storm's have access to the new 4g network with just a change of the sim card?
    No it wouldn't. It would need the 4G chip, which is hardware based.
    12-16-08 12:50 PM
    No it wouldn't. It would need the 4G chip, which is hardware based.
    Thanks for the quick answer - but I still wonder why it would not be possible to do this if Verizon wanted to. Let me explain -

A IC chip like the 4G chip that will be in 4G compatible phone is essentially (like any other chip) software embedded in hardware. The sim card is a fairly large format, a little over twice the size of a micro sd card. Micro sd cards are now capable of having 32GB of storage. So.....

Why wouldn't it be possible to include the 4g chip circuitry on a sim card and have an OS update that tells the Storm to ignore the embedded 3G chip and use the 4G circuitry on the sim card?

I may be totally off base about this but it seems like this would be possible.
    12-16-08 01:06 PM
    Thanks for the quick answer - but I still wonder why it would not be possible to do this if Verizon wanted to. Let me explain -

A IC chip like the 4G chip that will be in 4G compatible phone is essentially (like any other chip) software embedded in hardware. The sim card is a fairly large format, a little over twice the size of a micro sd card. Micro sd cards are now capable of having 32GB of storage. So.....

Why wouldn't it be possible to include the 4g chip circuitry on a sim card and have an OS update that tells the Storm to ignore the embedded 3G chip and use the 4G circuitry on the sim card?

I'll take it from a CPU point since I'm sure the process is still somewhat the same. The chip needs to be on it's own circuit board and applied to a motherboard that is compatible with it's hardware like say southbridges and northbridges as these chips also have to be upgraded to except the change or advance in the circuitry to keep up with the demand of the new chip. It works that way on PC's I'm sure it's no different on smartphones. But just installing a sim card wouldn't give you the benefits of true 4G even if it were possible. It would be nice if it were the case, but I really highly doubt it'll work without changing other parts on the phone.
    12-16-08 01:22 PM
    I'll take it from a CPU point since I'm sure the process is still somewhat the same. The chip needs to be on it's own circuit board and applied to a motherboard that is compatible with it's hardware like say southbridges and northbridges as these chips also have to be upgraded to except the change or advance in the circuitry to keep up with the demand of the new chip. It works that way on PC's I'm sure it's no different on smartphones. But just installing a sim card wouldn't give you the benefits of true 4G even if it were possible. It would be nice if it were the case, but I really highly doubt it'll work without changing other parts on the phone.
    A very good point.

When the new network it will likely be some time before a Storm is out that will support it. I would hope that they offer discounts to current Storm owners when that happens.
    12-16-08 01:32 PM

If they did that, they wouldn't sell any new LTE phones. Not gonna happen.
    12-16-08 02:06 PM
    anytime you buy something with technology, it is obsolete after you take it home.
    12-16-08 02:22 PM
    anytime you buy something with technology, it is obsolete after you take it home.
    It's obsolete before it's even at retail stands.
    12-16-08 05:07 PM
    to be realistic..

storm gen 2 is probably farther out then you guys may expect..

The main problem is if they have set in stone what the model for it is.. it may not change to support the new network..

these phones are a process over years of work...

As posted by someone in a previous thread they have to pick what the device is going to be at some point and stick with it.

so unless 4g is rolled out before they get the idea in stone it will be pretty unlikely..

My guess is that initially there will only be a couple phones that support it at all..

I doubt that storm 2 will be one of those.

more then likely once 4g is actually in place it will be a good year or longer until we see all the good phones for it.
    12-16-08 05:31 PM
    why cant we stick to the basics...like cups on strings
    12-16-08 05:43 PM
    I agree with noaim - even if the network itself kicks in sometime in late 2009, it will roll out slooooow and it will probably be 2010 before handsets follow. Remember this type of build out cost a lot of $$ and the economy is not helping in that area right now either. I would suspect they will have laptop/router access cards ready first while all of the handset mfg'ers catch up.
    12-16-08 05:50 PM
    doubt it...i say 2010...
    12-16-08 07:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD