So I went to the local Verizon store to try and get my re placement re furb phone re placed. I explained that the sure press screen did not click on the bottom above the return key. I even showed her and let her press it to see for herself that it would not click correctly. She agreed with me and started typing away on the cpu.
    Next she suggested doing a soft reset to see if it helps. I then explained that this was a hardware problem not software. The phone works perfectly but the mechanics of the phone were flawed. She then proceeded to do the soft reset. To my surprise the problem was still there.
    Next she suggested a hard reset. At this point I knew she was lost. I tried to explain again what the issue was and even went to the demo phone and compared mine to the two demos. She agreed again and then went behind the counter and did a hard reset. And it didn't work the problem was still there.
    So after this I then asked what's next. She then said she was going to have to wipe the phone and re install the os. Wow. I simply said sure go ahead. And she did. And the click problem still was there. Imagine that.
    So now we are on the phone with tech support and I figure now we will get somewhere. So the tech asked her for the os version and I am on .103. So tech says I am NOT on the latest os version. So the rep then tells me that I need to install the latest os and that would solve the problem. I asked how and she said, get this, that the latest os is DESIGNED to fix these problems.
    I then said so I go home and download the latest software and this will fix the mechanical issues with sure press and the click. She said yes sir because it is specifically designed to address these issues. WOW. Technology is amazing. Of course I had to ask if this somehow doesn't work then what. She said bring it in with the newest os and if it is still having problem we will then order a re placement.
    Hooray for training.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-09 09:25 PM
    Haha... Could not help but laugh at this. "She then proceeded to do the soft reset. To my surprise the problem was still there." Very funny indeed sir.
    02-16-09 09:28 PM
    Why did't you just call VZW (BLACKBERRY) tech support? MOST of them are much more tech savvy and after explaining your problem...your replacement would have probably been on it's way.
    At least that is the experience I have had with them.
    02-16-09 09:37 PM
    Software that integrates with hardware! Awesome! lol.
    02-16-09 09:41 PM
    For some reason, people just love to go to the VZW stor instead of calling tech support, who has to send the replacements anyway. That is unless you are within your 30 day guarantee period. Call tech support, get new phone, save gas.
    02-16-09 09:44 PM
    Software that integrates with hardware! Awesome! lol.
    We have to be careful of this happening. This would be one step closer to machines taking over the world.

02-16-09 09:55 PM
    We must be lucky in my town; the Verizon store here is pretty good. While the sales people often are not the most informed, I've found the tech counter to be pretty well off. Now I haven't been in for my Storm (and hope not to be!) I had my dare in the a couple of times, once for a hardware problem and once for a firmware update. Both times were a breeze.
    02-16-09 10:03 PM
    I don't know how you kept your cool. That would of drove me into a frenzy. I can't deal with the ignorant. I just don't have the patients. So....what happened??
    02-16-09 10:08 PM
    i would have just asked to speak with a manager right when she said lets do a soft reset
    02-16-09 10:14 PM
    as a tech at vzw... i apologize for my counterparts short comings... we dont get a lot of training on troubleshooting. its mostly trial by fire so if the havent seen the issue before we have to try and figure it out on the fly. if she wasnt a tech u cant really fault her because troubleshooting really isnt in her job description. thank you for not getting offended by her shortcomings and not blowing up in the store and making a big scene.
    02-16-09 10:38 PM
    Well what is going to happen is I will downgrade to .75 and then call tech support. As funny as it would be I can not go for round two with the store. They have always been helpful to me until this date. But the software update fixing the issue statement left me speechless. That's like a car mechanic telling you that by changing your engine code will fix a cracked cylinder head. I just stood there thinking did she really just say this?

02-16-09 10:42 PM
    That's like a car mechanic telling you that by changing your engine code will fix a cracked cylinder head. Classic...lol...Good luck to ya.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]
    02-16-09 11:07 PM
    Yup, I called in this morning to BB support on VZW's number... I got the same thing. I tried to explain this to the lady... that it is not a software issue... it's a hardware issue... somehow, she didn't get it either.

Not sure why she is answering phones there in that position...
    02-16-09 11:34 PM
    The "tech support" at our local store is a joke, if a battery pull doesn't fix it then they are lost. It is sad the lack of product knowledge these people have.
    02-17-09 06:01 AM
    This is too funny,apparently the same training is offered here in Canada with the reps at the Bell store.I had almost to the letter the same thing happen to me yesterday when I took my wife's phone in for replacement,soft reset,hard reset and then me trying to explain that the screen not working properly is not a software issue but mechanical.After 30min of listening to this crap and being told this would not warrant a replacement I was not so gracious as you and a new phone is coming from Bell today.The tech people,who told me to take it to the store and have them order a replacement, do have a better idea as to what goes on with these than the counter people.I feel your pain.
    02-17-09 06:24 AM
    Why did't you just call VZW (BLACKBERRY) tech support? MOST of them are much more tech savvy and after explaining your problem...your replacement would have probably been on it's way.
    At least that is the experience I have had with them.
    I've had a more varied experience with the Verizon Blackberry guys,... the latest one calling me "bro" every other sentence. At one point, he even said,"Bro, you gotta stop reading those forums."

Right.
    02-17-09 07:03 AM
    That is just to funny. Maybe if you went to work in that store you could help the little lady out.
    02-17-09 08:09 AM
    Well what is going to happen is I will downgrade to .75 and then call tech support. As funny as it would be I can not go for round two with the store. They have always been helpful to me until this date. But the software update fixing the issue statement left me speechless. That's like a car mechanic telling you that by changing your engine code will fix a cracked cylinder head. I just stood there thinking did she really just say this?

Hopefully you will get this resolved soon. It might be a good idea at least to give her a call and let her know that the software fix did not work on the hardware problem so that the next unlucky guy or gal might who sees her might to have to go through what you did! good luck!
    02-17-09 08:19 AM
    The last time I talked to tech support over the phone about my Storm they told me to take it into the store. I had about the same experience as the op! As soon as I got back in the truck I called tech and went off, needless to say the next day I was at the other corp store picking up nib replacement.

Last edited by jlank; 02-17-09 at 08:25 AM.
    02-17-09 08:22 AM
    More and more I'm reminded why I now love to do most shopping online.
    02-17-09 09:20 AM
    Thanks for that story it made me laugh because a similar thing happened to me.

02-17-09 09:36 AM
    Yeah, it is truly ridiculous. Called in to tech support again today, and got a competent woman. Unfortunately, she said I have to go in to my corporate local store to get a NIB replacement - she said all they can do over the phone is send out a refurb "certified like new" phone.

I'd rather just get a fully new one.
    02-17-09 11:09 AM
    So I decided to call tech and explained my situation to the tech on the phone. She quickly said well sounds like a hardware issue. Actually her exact words were, "I am sorry to hear that sir. I apolgize for this and if you hold on for a few minutes I will be right back with you. Ok sir sorry for the wait. I will be sending you a re placement and it should be there in one to three days. Now will this be shipped to the billing address?"

Wow allsaid and done in less than ten minutes. Should have listened to you guys from the start. Hope this one is better.

02-17-09 03:26 PM
    Oh and thanks for the replies.
    02-17-09 03:56 PM
    Personally I can never deal with a sales rep because I get to frustrated with them nd their lack of knowlege about a product...
    Next time you go in as for the manager they are generally more helpful and they understandthat if you leave unhappy then there is a chance they will get complaints...
    Also never deal wth teir one tecs.. They don't know anything and most of thei answers are generic

02-17-09 04:36 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD