Take a look at this video of a Palm Pre, vs. an iPhone 3G, vs. the BB Storm. I do not know if that could be because of RIM's browser, or because of the VZW network itself, judging by that video. All the people I know who have VZW seems to have been brainwashed by VZW and go drone and tell everyone about how VZW is the best network ever.
    Last edited by dontwalkhand; 06-06-09 at 07:04 PM.
    06-06-09 07:00 PM
    yes it is.
    06-06-09 07:04 PM
    The BlackBerry browser is terrible. Period. Verizon also isn't as fast.At&t is going to upgrading their network soon to speeds almost double what Verizon currently had

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-09 07:04 PM
    No it isn't, unless you are right next to a tower. Where I work I get 5 bars, and it is fast. At home where I get 2 to 3 bars, it's painfully slow unless you go to wap sites. It's all about location, no matter who the provider is.
    06-06-09 07:08 PM

Take a look at this video of a Palm Pre, vs. an iPhone 3G, vs. the BB Storm. I do not know if that could be because of RIM's browser, or because of the VZW network itself, judging by that video. All the people I know who have VZW seems to have been brainwashed by VZW and go drone and tell everyone about how VZW is the best network ever.
    More than likely the Storm has older software installed. But the browser is not a BlackBerry's strong point. Just wait for the Storm 2 and re-run this test. It will be much different for the BB.
    06-06-09 07:09 PM
    In the video the BlackBerry browser is what's so slow. Sprints network and Verizon should be about the same. AT&T is slightly faster.

06-06-09 07:12 PM
    More than likely the Storm has older software installed. But the browser is not a BlackBerry's strong point. Just wait for the Storm 2 and re-run this test. It will be much different for the BB.
    Only if they redo the OS and fix the browser LOL

06-06-09 07:13 PM
    Verizon doesn't claim to have the fastest network. They have the best coverage. This has been backed up by numerous customer surveys.

06-06-09 07:19 PM
    Whether due to the browser or Verizon's network (i suspect a little of each) the Storm's internet is SLOW...to the point where I usually avoid using it. Sad b/c i'm paying $30 a month for data...
    06-06-09 07:22 PM
    The BlackBerry browser is terrible. Period. Verizon also isn't as fast.At&t is going to upgrading their network soon to speeds almost double what Verizon currently had

Of course that is assuming that you are in a metropolitan area, within 100 yds of an AT&T tower, and only 5 other people are using their phone. Then yes, AT&T will be faster.
    06-06-09 07:25 PM
    Whether due to the browser or Verizon's network (i suspect a little of each) the Storm's internet is SLOW...to the point where I usually avoid using it. Sad b/c i'm paying $30 a month for data...
    The browser is just as slow as my previous browser on the Samsung i760 winmo phone. So I suspect it's the network, not so much the phone.
    06-06-09 07:29 PM
    Look at the storm when he goes to open the browser. Number 1 Icon is indicating an OS upgrade being available.
    06-06-09 07:50 PM
    In NYC, ATT is faster, but it almost never works consistently. You'll get connection one minute and next minute no data is coming through, even though signal is strong. That's why I switched to verizon, the EVDO is everywhere, inside buildings too and is very consistent. You got signal, you go online, period!
    06-06-09 07:59 PM
    My recent firmware upgrade seemed to have sped up the browser. I still can't compare it to the iphone though.
    06-06-09 08:08 PM

It has NOTHING to do with the BlackBerry Browser.

In case you didn't know... On the the Storm you can switch from the BlackBerry Browser to Internet Explorer, or to FireFox.

All three are equally SLOW...

In my opinion (and I work for Verizon) it is either a combination of the Storm's OS and Hardware limitaions, or Verizon's ability to throttle the speed of the data stream.
    06-06-09 08:33 PM
    Lemmings..

I prefer the biggest network vs. the fastest and smallest.

Acceptable or even slow access is better than none or constantly interrupted access.

I travel all over the world.. and my Storm has never experienced interruption except when I was in a country where it was a security risk like Afghanistan or Iraq or China.

But, meh. shoot for the fastest. That's what counts I suppose.
    06-06-09 08:36 PM

In case you didn't know... On the the Storm you can switch from the BlackBerry Browser to Internet Explorer, or to FireFox.

All three are equally slow because all three settings use the same Blackberry Browser. There is no Firefox or Internet Explorer for any Blackberry as there is no Java version of IE or Firefox.

The Internet Explorer or Firefox setting within the Blackberry browser options only means that when the browser requests a web site, it tells the web server "I'm Internet Explorer", or "I'm Firefox". If supported by the web site, the site will then send you a full site versus a wap-only site as it normally would if you leave the setting as "Blackberry".

That being said, I like to use Opera mini. It seems to be much faster than the stock browser.
    Last edited by carlos31820; 06-06-09 at 08:48 PM.
    06-06-09 08:45 PM
    Interesting... Thanks for the explanation Carlos.

All three are equally slow because all three settings use the same Blackberry Browser. There is no Firefox or Internet Explorer for any Blackberry as there is no Java version of IE or Firefox.

The Internet Explorer or Firefox setting within the Blackberry browser options only means that when the browser requests a web site, it tells the web server "I'm Internet Explorer", or "I'm Firefox". If supported by the web site, the site will then send you a full site versus a wap-only site as it normally would if you leave the setting as "Blackberry".

That being said, I like to use Opera mini. It seems to be much faster than the stock browser.
    06-06-09 08:52 PM

In my opinion (and I work for Verizon) it is either a combination of the Storm's OS and Hardware limitaions, or Verizon's ability to throttle the speed of the data stream.
    Woah, hold your horses. Although I agree with you, you've got the browser thing all wrong. Those options are for the browser identification. For example, if you go to youtube with the blackberry identification enabled, you'll get the mobile site where you can watch youtube videos. If you change that identification to firefox, however, you'll find that you'll be loading the computer version of youtube, and you will be unable to watch videos - it will just say that you need to get javascript. Likewise, if you enable the firefox identification, you won't be able to download blackberry apps from, say, pandora, because the website thinks you are curently on a computer.
    So, all in all, these settings just changes the formatting of the page. It has nothing to do with speed, other than the difference between loading an HTML rich page vs a wap page.

Anyways, I believe that Verizon has the best coverage, but not necessrily the best 3G network. Plus, the iphone's safari is better at rendering webpages accurately.
    The storm's is at best, mediocre. If you use a hybrid OS with 5.0 browser files, you'll find that it is a lot faster than straight up .148.
    RIM is working on it!

06-06-09 08:55 PM
    By any measure AT&T has the fastest 3G network in the US (when you are connected to 3G). Unfortunately on the East and West coast it is difficult to get sustained 3G on their network. While it may be fastest in theory, in practice it's not the best. Verizon's 3g network is larger and more consistent than any US carrier. I had a Bold before returning it to AT&T and switching to Storm on Verizon. Bold great phone, but had too many dropped calls and data issues. Wifi doesn't help when you're driving around.

06-06-09 09:27 PM

If LTE is what your referring to then that's not happening any time soon. And VZW will be upgrading to LTE also but neither will have this technology nationwide for a few years.

06-06-09 10:14 PM
    Mine actually works pretty quickly...probably depends on location. My buddy at work has an iPhone, and it's only faster than my Storm when he's on wifi.
    06-06-09 10:39 PM
    that storm looked realllly slow. Ive done a comparison test with my GF curve on sprint and my storm on VZW and everytime I compare the two connection speeds my storm is always the winner. I use the browser on my storm all the time and its never been that slow as it is in the video. The pinch zoom is nice though. Hopefully one of these days us storm owners will get that feature.
    06-07-09 12:30 AM
    4g!!!!!

Can you wait for it? Is the real question
    06-07-09 12:38 AM
    4g!!!!!

Can you wait for it? Is the real question
    ummm, yeah since its not here yet you kind of have to wait.
    06-07-09 12:41 AM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD