...and it brought in MANY customers and MUCH revenue on new BB data plans. Your point? The argument was with regard to it being marketed against the iPhone. I'm not going to say the OS wasn't a pile of crap at launch, but it did get better with time. Rushed to market? Yes
    Hardware was crap too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-09 07:44 PM
    Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt it always the device that has to be pushed hard that comes out lacking over the device that is low key?

Ive just always saw the main stream things as lacking. Its kind of like underground music compared to mainstream radio.
    11-01-09 07:46 PM
    When the S1 came out it was being pushed as an iphone killer too but when it obviously was revealed as the joke it was then there were people like you changing their tune and saying it was "meant to bring a touch screen option to the BB stable"...
    again for the umteenth time.

The storm1 was never touted as an Iphone killer from RIM or VZW. The only ones that said this were the lame reviewers. Why is that so hard to understand.
    11-01-09 07:46 PM
    again for the umteenth time.

The storm1 was never touted as an Iphone killer from RIM or VZW. The only ones that said this were the lame reviewers. Why is that so hard to understand.
    Because you all secretly believed it was and you died a little inside everyday you used it and found it to be the door stop that it was...

Tell me, how accurate did you think were all the reviews and such of the S2 prior to release. Fair? Overhyped? Underhyped?

Clear enough?
    11-01-09 07:50 PM

People blasting those critical of the S2 and saying they know jack sh!t because they havent handled one is BS. Those same people are knocking the droid which they themselves have not handled...

EDIT: btw, i prefer bearkat jr
    They dont know jack! They dont own one so they havent used it long enough to make a good judgement. 3 minutes in the store does not count. Im not knocking the droid just stating that its being overhyped and its most likely gonna have issues just like every other first generation device.
    11-01-09 07:54 PM
    I can not believe what this thread has turn into....

But let's get some facts straight: the media did not advertise and push the Storm as an IPhone killer, Verizon/RIM did. Most business user like the 8330 and 8830 phones better and are the most in use right now. They are bullet proof. I got an 8330 and have never had any issues with it. The reason I got the Storm was for bigger screen and I do not use BES so I do not use my BB as corporate use.

Verizon is not pushing the S2 because of what happen to S1. S2 is not that big of an upgrade as the Tour is not to the 8330/8830 except for more memory. Any business user can do with the S1 what can be done with S2 or the Tour. That is a fact.

It is ok to say that you like your S2 but in my opinion is not ok to flame a member for saying that he does not like the S2. He is entitled to his opinion just as you are. So stop the personal attacks.

I am not sure which way I will go yet. I want wifi and I will take a look at the Droid since it has good reviews and it is not a 1st generation. Other carries have had Androids just not Verizon. I like, for the most part, S1 even though it is still very buggy so I can't see myself going to S2 in the near future and waste my upgrade. If Verizon made me an attractive offer I might take it as long as I don't lose my EN2 or my case EN1. I will wait for another phone if the Droid is not to my liking.

Just get whatever phone you want and stop being a BB attack dog!
    11-01-09 07:54 PM
    You're welcome...here's another There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Likewise the media and reviewers hyped the he!! out of the S2. Unlike the droid haters I followed with great interest the release of the S2 and never hoped it would suck or not live up to the hype. Whats wrong with acknowledging that the droid maybe a great phone? If it makes RIM wake up and kick up their effort to improve their devices is that bad? They (RIM) obviously know their browser sucks hence their acquisition of Torch.
    Speaking of blind , I did acknowledge that in post #20. I've saved you the trouble of going back, see below:

You knew it would happen!

My take on the situation as a happy S2 owner is that the Storm has had it's glory days in the sun from an advertising standpoint. The wow factor has moved on. Does that make it a bad device? Absolutely not! It's rock solid, well built, very intuitive, and easy to use. It's everything S1 should have been and then some. But, launching another massive ad campaign to push it again would do very little in comparison to the numbers S1 already brought in. I bet we'll see it in smaller advertisements after the Droid launch dies down.

Enter the Droid. It's new, it's exciting, and vzw is seizing the opportunity to push it hard against the Apple marketing machine. Does that mean it will succeed? Only time will tell. All we've seen so far is reports from reviewers with "white glove" delivered units who are excited about it because it brings something new to the table. However, they've also mentioned that the physical keyboard sucks and that the OS is not intuitive for some simple tasks. A lot of BB users rely heavily on speed typing. Will that typing experience exist on the Droid? I hope for vzw's sake that the Droid is a success and adds another solid device to the offerings. It's honestly nice to see vzw changing the game after such boring handsets of the past.
    Last edited by The Antagonist; 11-01-09 at 08:01 PM.
    11-01-09 07:57 PM
    Because you all secretly believed it was and you died a little inside everyday you used it and found it to be the door stop that it was...

Tell me, how accurate did you think were all the reviews and such of the S2 prior to release. Fair? Overhyped? Underhyped?

Clear enough?
    Scared? Really? Of a phone? If you used it as a door stop its most likely because of user error. I didnt really pay attention to the reviews so much because the only review that matters is the one that I give it. If you listened to reviews and soley based your buying decisions on them you would be out lots of money. There have been so many things that had good reviews but flopped. And there have been tons of things that had bad reviews that were actually really good. The only one that over hyped the storm2 was sal. I dont blame him at all. Whatever his motovation is, who knows. For all we know hes getting paid or free devices. Or maybe he just likes the device that much and sees what a great improvement it was over the storm1.
    11-01-09 07:58 PM
    I
    But let's get some facts straight: the media did not advertise and push the Storm as an IPhone killer, Verizon/RIM did.
    Show me where that happened and I'll buy you a Droid.

P.S. We're not being BB attack dogs...this is a BB forum and we're fending off the Droid attack dogs.
    11-01-09 07:59 PM
    They dont know jack! They dont own one so they havent used it long enough to make a good judgement. 3 minutes in the store does not count. Im not knocking the droid just stating that its being overhyped and its most likely gonna have issues just like every other first generation device.
    I know, I know...but can you honestly tell me that those same people will not go into a store and handle a droid for three minutes and come back here and start a thread titled: MY S2 ate an DROID DONUT etc?

I guess only time will tell. If there are any OS issues with DROID I can almost bet you that they'll get addressed in a timely manner instead of doing what many of us BB users do in scouring the web for a leaked OS to make our devices bearable as daily drivers. Personally, I'm done with that.
    11-01-09 07:59 PM
    Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt it always the device that has to be pushed hard that comes out lacking over the device that is low key?

Ive just always saw the main stream things as lacking. Its kind of like underground music compared to mainstream radio.
    Hells yes!.................!
    11-01-09 08:00 PM
    Scared? Really? Of a phone? If you used it as a door stop its most likely because of user error. I didnt really pay attention to the reviews so much because the only review that matters is the one that I give it. If you listened to reviews and soley based your buying decisions on them you would be out lots of money. There have been so many things that had good reviews but flopped. And there have been tons of things that had bad reviews that were actually really good. The only one that over hyped the storm2 was sal. I dont blame him at all. Whatever his motovation is, who knows. For all we know hes getting paid or free devices. Or maybe he just likes the device that much and sees what a great improvement it was over the storm1.
    You really must be scared because what you quoted mentioned nothing about being scared.

EDIT: I'll agree with you on who overhyped the S2. Hey, I'm not bashing the S2. I like it myself and may go with it in the end but what irks me are the droid bashers. I've been on a BB since the 7250. Tell me I'm not a fanboy...come on tell me. Btw, that 7250 is a beast and still works! Its like holding a belgian waffle to your ear!
    Last edited by erikchavez; 11-01-09 at 08:04 PM.
    11-01-09 08:01 PM
    I can not believe what this thread has turn into....

But let's get some facts straight: the media did not advertise and push the Storm as an IPhone killer, Verizon/RIM did.
    !
    Please show me where they ever touted it as an Iphone killer. The only thing they said was that it is the worlds first touchscreen blackberry. I followed the storm1 from the summer and never was it said to be an iphone killer by anyone except the lame reviewers. Oh and maybe the Iphone loyalists.
    11-01-09 08:01 PM
    Dude, you knock the Droid every chance you get! Bottom line, if the S1 had met last years expectations, the S2 would have been released to much more fanfare.
    11-01-09 08:02 PM
    I know, I know...but can you honestly tell me that those same people will not go into a store and handle a droid for three minutes and come back here and start a thread titled: MY S2 ate an DROID DONUT etc?

I guess only time will tell. If there are any OS issues with DROID I can almost bet you that they'll get addressed in a timely manner instead of doing what many of us BB users do in scouring the web for a leaked OS to make our devices bearable as daily drivers. Personally, I'm done with that.
    I disagree, it seems the hold up is always on vzw's end of testing the security, reliability, etc of OS builds on their network. That's partially why they are just now interested in android; they had to let it mature a little before they would accept it. I expect to see the same slow churn of os upgrades for android as for any platform.
    11-01-09 08:03 PM
    How did they get burned? They sold millions of units with less than 10% returns. And half of the returns were from user error. They made tons of money selling the storm1 and getting people to sign the contract. You have to remember that verizon doesnt make very much money from the sale of the devices. They make the majority from contracts and accessories.
    This may be true however media makes a difference in a lot of people's opinions. Yes the STORM may have sold millions, but when the media constantly attacks a phone and many reviewers constanstly downgrade the phone when people peek interest into the phone of course the first thing they are going to find out about is how the media and reviewers portrayed it and that was poor. I understand they make money from sale of devices but I think they're putting there eggs in the DROID basket is because Google is in the headlines every week, Android seems to peak everyone's interest especially on here too so it has a better chance of bringing more customers to theri network than the S2. That's my theory.

11-01-09 08:06 PM
    I disagree, it seems the hold up is always on vzw's end of testing the security, reliability, etc of OS builds on their network. That's partially why they are just now interested in android; they had to let it mature a little before they would accept it. I expect to see the same slow churn of os upgrades for android as for any platform.
    I hope thats not the case but I'll agree that VZW had a hand in the painfully slow release of updates.
    11-01-09 08:06 PM

If they do go into the store and try and make a judgement from just playing with it for a couple minutes than they deserve the bashing they will receive form CB. I wont be one that makes that kind of judgment. I will wait until I can use one for a couple hours or more.

What makes you think the OS issue will be addressed any faster just because its android. It will still need to be approved by verizon. Oh and Im pretty sure your wrong about people not scouring the interwebz for leaks. If anything with the OS being so open you might just see more leaks.
    11-01-09 08:07 PM
    Dude, you knock the Droid every chance you get! Bottom line, if the S1 had met last years expectations, the S2 would have been released to much more fanfare.
    Im not knocking it. Im just being real. Why is that so hard to swallow?
    11-01-09 08:07 PM
    I got the Storm2 and it is excellent. VZW has Storm2 commercials on tv - i think I saw one during a football game today or world series.
    11-01-09 08:08 PM
    This may be true however media makes a difference in a lot of people's opinions. Yes the STORM may have sold millions, but when the media constantly attacks a phone and many reviewers constanstly downgrade the phone when people peek interest into the phone of course the first thing they are going to find out about is how the media and reviewers portrayed it and that was poor. I understand they make money from sale of devices but I think they're putting there eggs in the DROID basket is because Google is in the headlines every week, Android seems to peak everyone's interest especially on here too so it has a better chance of bringing more customers to theri network than the S2. That's my theory.

Of course they want there customers to have more choices. Thats most likely one of the biggest reasons there adding so many devices in the coming months. More customers = more contracts and accessories.
    11-01-09 08:09 PM
    I got the Storm2 and it is excellent. VZW has Storm2 commercials on tv - i think I saw one during a football game today or world series.
    Yeah, I saw one last night but it was on very late.
    11-01-09 08:10 PM
    All the sales reps at the corporate stores said it. Yes I know, they know nothing and we should not listen to the corporate spiel coming out of their mouths. Do you think corporate users we calling RIM and saying how much they wanted a touch screen? RIM was going after the general user when they made Storm. I am not an IPhone "fanboi" as you all like to say, but it is still the standard touch screen phone that every company measures up to. If you think different than you are really dense.

Please show me where they ever touted it as an Iphone killer. The only thing they said was that it is the worlds first touchscreen blackberry. I followed the storm1 from the summer and never was it said to be an iphone killer by anyone except the lame reviewers. Oh and maybe the Iphone loyalists.
    11-01-09 08:10 PM
    I remember when Storm 1 was getting hyped before release, it was new and exciting. Verizon started the ad campaign with just the side view....wouldn't show the device.....then they showed it, and upon release pushed it REALLY hard....this sound pretty similar to what they are doing with Droid?

They are not going to hype the 2nd version of the Storm as hard because like any 2nd version of a product it isn't "revolutionary and groundbreaking" it improves on the original, so they will say hey, we know you know about the first....we just released the 2nd.

On that note....how hard did they push the Tour or even the Curve? Have they given up on blackberry since then?

I watched football all day today and must had seen the Storm 2 commercial 5 times and Droid commercial 5 times, I would say they are pushing the Storm differently.

Last thing, when I went to the store Wednesday, she pushed it hard on the guy before me....just as hard to me, and I'm sure just the same to anyone after me.....didn't hear her once mention the Droid.
    11-01-09 08:11 PM
    If they do go into the store and try and make a judgement from just playing with it for a couple minutes than they deserve the bashing they will receive form CB. I wont be one that makes that kind of judgment. I will wait until I can use one for a couple hours or more.

What makes you think the OS issue will be addressed any faster just because its android. It will still need to be approved by verizon. Oh and Im pretty sure your wrong about people not scouring the interwebz for leaks. If anything with the OS being so open you might just see more leaks.
    Well for one, maybe they won't be as gun shy with google like they are with rim and their track record?
    11-01-09 08:12 PM
81 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD