I am currently studying abroad in Florence until mid May and do traveling just about every weekend. sometimes leaving Italy. I currently have the international data plan, but i would like to be able to use my phone and pay less then 1.27 a minute and I have found 2 feasible ways to do so but have some key questions on both:

Does anyone know what the 30 dollars for the 400 international mins/month include? does it cover any and all surcharges? or do i still end up paying to connect/per minute? if so do you know the fees?

also any vodafone users:
    if i unlock my phone and get on the vodafone network will they charge me a lot if i leave italy to use data/mins? or will the charges be the same? if so do you know the fees?

someone please help. I have been wandering around VZW site and crackberry and found no clear answers. VZW site is not helpful at all. I see nothing about the international calling plans where I can have the 400 minutes. i just remember a rep telling me about it before i left.
    02-16-09 06:55 AM
    bump anyone?
    02-17-09 05:03 AM
    I have done this for a long time, here is my experience,
    1. The international roaming charges seem to be seperated from my 400 minutes, (example right now I am in the czech republic and my minutes have not gone up since i got here on the 13th). I will receive the uplifted charges when posted by the individual carriers.
    2. I have had unlocked phones in the past and they are only cheap if you carry a sim card for every country (not practical is it). Outside the country (I use an orange card from the UK, ) it is very expensive outside uk but very cheap in the uk.
    3. I find it easier to just roam my verizon, while a little higher in each country it includes data and international text etc. and gives great service.
    just my view as a road warrior...
    02-17-09 06:41 AM
    I am a little confused by your explanation of the charges. 5h3 the charges are seperated from the 400 minutes.. so even while im paying the 30 bucks for the minutes I am still going to have a charge? do you know what that charge is?

thanks for your suggestion on the rest. i completely agree. although i do not know vodafone's rates outside Italy i could only imagine how expensive it would get.. also using data. just seems rough.
    02-17-09 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD