So I've been searching around the verizon website on more info about the global support. I called and asked about the international plan which is 3.99, says the sales rep on the phone, a month and it allows for my regular texting and data plan but for minutes its about .17 cents instead of 1.73????
    I was just wondering if i actually need the global support pack which includes a sim card that costs 29.99?... when i already have a verizon/vodafone sim card that came with the phone
    04-26-09 10:09 PM
    Could you rewrite this as a coherent thought? Thank you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-09 10:14 PM
    I don't understand your question? I think your decimals are wrong too

04-26-09 11:57 PM
    the int'l LD value plan only covers int'l calling...that's the one you were told about, it gives you a discounted rate, depending on the country will determine the discount amount. if you want to travel internationally you need international roaming coverage. they don't offer a discount except for a data plan.
    04-27-09 12:05 AM
    Calls are gonna run .99 to 1.99 per minute depending on the country and data over there is $60/month.

04-27-09 12:08 AM
    the int'l LD value plan only covers int'l calling...that's the one you were told about, it gives you a discounted rate, depending on the country will determine the discount amount. if you want to travel internationally you need international roaming coverage. they don't offer a discount except for a data plan.
    There is an international roaming value plan that reduces the voice roaming rate in several countries.

04-27-09 12:10 AM
    well... i was just trying to ask if i needed to buy another verizon sim card (Global Support Pack - $29.99) even though theres already one that comes with the phone to use with the international plan.

and i was wondering whether the prices the guy gave me was correct. From ~1.79/min to ~.17/min with the international calling plan for $3.99/mon. he also said that txt msging and data, if im paying for it already, doesn't cost anything.
    04-27-09 02:07 AM
    he's wrong.

If you're going overseas, you need to activate your SIM card and get on the global data plan.

This page
    will tell you what you need.
    04-27-09 02:21 AM
    well... i was just trying to ask if i needed to buy another verizon sim card (Global Support Pack - $29.99) even though theres already one that comes with the phone to use with the international plan.

and i was wondering whether the prices the guy gave me was correct. From ~1.79/min to ~.17/min with the international calling plan for $3.99/mon. he also said that txt msging and data, if im paying for it already, doesn't cost anything.
    I believe that international plan if for calling overseas from the US. When you travel overseas, as I just did two weeks ago, you need the global data plan @ 69.99/month, but pro-rated for how long you use it (cancel upon your return). I found the calling plan too expensive (it's international roaming at about 1.49-1.99/minute. I use the global data plan and rent a local phone at a much lower rate.
    04-27-09 06:52 AM
    yeah global data is a pretty good rate, and vvm will still work on that, just don't answer calls, and block txt while you're travels take you int'l. local prepaid phones or calling cards are the way to go for the time being. i hope VZW gets a roaming agreement with int'l countries after LTE, that would be a smart move.
    04-28-09 02:48 PM
    Still not sure how this all works. Is there a way to get a limited data plan AND an inexpensive (relatively) calling plan while travelling overseas? Also (this has been answered elsewhere but I can't recall ...duh): does GPS count as data? In other words, do I have to have a data plan going in order to use GoogleMaps over there? France BTW
    05-18-09 08:57 PM
    are you leaving the U.S. or calling from the U.S. to another country?

if you're leaving, you need the SIM card and the int'l data plan (won't cover calls/sms, just covers data use)

if you're staying and calling abroad you want the int'l L.D. (long distance) value plan, will give you a discount rate for calls and sms to int'l countries.
    05-18-09 10:19 PM
    Still not sure how this all works. Is there a way to get a limited data plan AND an inexpensive (relatively) calling plan while travelling overseas? Also (this has been answered elsewhere but I can't recall ...duh): does GPS count as data? In other words, do I have to have a data plan going in order to use GoogleMaps over there? France BTW
    Yes and no.

GPS in and of itself does not require a data plan. The receiver will still track and lock to satellites.

Google maps DOES require data, because it downloads the map overlay off their servers.

There are some alps in the GPS forum that install all of the overlay mapping to your bb eliminating the need for data.

05-18-09 10:28 PM
    International roaming is such a big rip off! There is absolutely no reason for any call nowadays to cost $1.99+ a minute, even when roaming overseas. Even more ridiculous is the $1.99+ a minute charge on the Vodafone network, which is part owner of Verizon. You would think they would have a REASONABLE agreement. And Verizon wonders why people call to unlock their phones.
    05-18-09 10:44 PM
    What a hassle. I dont want a huge data plan charge when I get back. Im going to mexico for a week, can I just turn off data services, and use my phone as a phone for an occasional call?

What if I leave my data services on, but dont respond to text or emails, what kind of charges will I get?
    05-18-09 11:00 PM
    What a hassle. I dont want a huge data plan charge when I get back. Im going to mexico for a week, can I just turn off data services, and use my phone as a phone for an occasional call?

What if I leave my data services on, but dont respond to text or emails, what kind of charges will I get?
    you can go to network settings and change data to "home only". it will disable data services.

if any messages are sent to your phone, you're billed for them. even if you don't respond or read them. the traffic to deliver them is what you're billed for. if you buy a cheeseburger, and don't eat it, do you expect to not have to pay for it?
    05-18-09 11:41 PM
    Data in Mexico can get up to $5 per megabyte, so if you do not plan to change your data plan, turn off your data and only turn it back on when you mean it.

Anywho, as far as roaming features go:

$64.99 monthly gets you unlimited data from the blackberry.

$4.99 monthly gets you the slightly cheaper roaming rates. For example, in Europe, this typically brings it down from $1.29 to $.99.

Both can be prorated, so if you're only going for a week, you can have them set up to only be active for a week, and pay less than the otherwise required $70.

On a final note, I'm really glad you checked the forum before leaving. Most customers who get told the long distance plan was a roaming plan send their kid alone to Spain with an Env before wondering if what the Care rep told them was wrong. I really wish they were better trained on this global stuff...
    05-19-09 12:57 AM
    International roaming is such a big rip off! There is absolutely no reason for any call nowadays to cost $1.99+ a minute, even when roaming overseas. Even more ridiculous is the $1.99+ a minute charge on the Vodafone network, which is part owner of Verizon. You would think they would have a REASONABLE agreement. And Verizon wonders why people call to unlock their phones.
    The rates you pay for international roaming are not strictly decided by verizon, its actually an agreement Verizon works out with various carriers in whatever countries. Its those carriers that ultimately decide the rate per minute when roaming in their network.

05-19-09 02:51 AM
    you can go to network settings and change data to "home only". it will disable data services.

if any messages are sent to your phone, you're billed for them. even if you don't respond or read them. the traffic to deliver them is what you're billed for. if you buy a cheeseburger, and don't eat it, do you expect to not have to pay for it?

I dont see a "home only" option, please explain exactly where this is.

Thanks.
    05-19-09 09:37 AM
    Go to options / mobile network and at the top is data service. Options are on/off/off while roaming. Is that what you are looking for?

05-19-09 10:11 AM
    I dont see a "home only" option, please explain exactly where this is.

Thanks.
    Go to options / mobile network and at the top is data service. Options are on/off/off while roaming. Is that what you are looking for?

yeah that's it, i hardly ever use it. i'm remembering what the settings said on dumb phones from working at VZW....my bad.
    05-19-09 01:26 PM
    There is another point about which I am confused.
    I will need to contact, while travelling thru France, a friend who is also in that country. She will be carrying a US cell phone with global capability. Do I have to put in a US country code even though she is in France or a French code or simply dial as if I was in the US....?
    Finally, what does the GSM icon look like, so that I will know I'm succesfully switched from CDMA to a European GSM network?
    Thanks to all who have taken the time to help this confused traveller.
    05-30-09 01:44 PM
    There is another point about which I am confused.
    I will need to contact, while travelling thru France, a friend who is also in that country. She will be carrying a US cell phone with global capability. Do I have to put in a US country code even though she is in France or a French code or simply dial as if I was in the US....?
    Finally, what does the GSM icon look like, so that I will know I'm succesfully switched from CDMA to a European GSM network?
    Thanks to all who have taken the time to help this confused traveller.
    You will have to dial the full number, including the country code, i.e., +1 (xxx) xxx-xxxx. The GSM icon shown can depend on the theme, I haven't used the default for some time, but it is displayed in the User Guide.

Edit: Oops better found in the Getting Started Guide, page 21.
    Last edited by Craterz; 05-30-09 at 01:57 PM.
    05-30-09 01:52 PM
    Craterz,
    you are the best. I actually did look through the User Guide before I posted, but it never crossed my mind to look at the Getting Started Guide. After all I am way too savvy to need that - NOT! LOL
    05-30-09 02:07 PM
    just out of curiousity what are the calling codes for international calling? both to be called and to place calls while there. Thanks.
    05-31-09 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD