+1 for protectcell. cheaper overall, no limi to the ammount of claims, not to mention the deductible is only $50 for smart phones, and no the Dare and Voyager don't classify as smart phones. Their deductible is only $40.
    05-14-09 11:25 AM
    I guess someone ultimately has to pay for Asurion bonuses and golden parachutes for Senior Executives.
    05-14-09 11:42 AM
    I take very good care of my Storm, and I am going to pay extra for those who drop it in the toilet. Sigh.

Although I guess that's how it was before the price increase...
    05-14-09 11:57 AM
    hmmm so Verizon has to take it up the pooper huh? I dont think you know how business works my friend, and about your claims of it being the cheapest in the industry..here ya go

Wireless Phone Insurance | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

and I just checked att not anyone else.
    Yes, ATT's is $50/deductible for regular devices, compared to VZW's $39/deductible. And ATT's is $125/deductible compare to VZW's $89/deductible for advanced devices.

And that's $4.49/month for regular phones on VZW versus $4.99/month with ATT=VZW is much cheaper. Then $6/month on VZW for advanced phones, vs $4.99/month on ATT. That's $1 more/month, so only $12 more /year. ATT's deductible is $36 more per year for advanced devices. Yes, VZW is much cheaper than ATT's insurance.
    Last edited by briankeith513; 05-14-09 at 01:26 PM.
    05-14-09 01:20 PM
    I dropped my TREO 650 in the toilet once. It was clipped to my belt on the right side and while using the facilities (being a male) it slipped right down the belt and into the water.

Like others, now I remove the phone from my belt before going.

To the thread, my daughter went through her two claims in a year, in May 08 (broken) and again in December 08 (lost). No cancellation of coverage but I wonder if she should have another mishap, say in June or later, what they might do even though she would still be two claims in a standing year.

b.b.
    05-14-09 01:24 PM
    If I were to file a insurance claim what I would do is call Asurion and tell them my wife is prego (or make up a story) and say you need the phone NOW and they will do whats calls a Emergency Claim. Verizon will ring up a full retail storm at $499 (BRAND NEW) and they will provide a credit card over the phone for the VZW rep to charge this to. Asurion then gets the deductible from you over the phone. This way you know its BRAND NEW. I work in a VZW store and they will do this as long as its considered an "Emergency"
    05-14-09 01:32 PM
    If I were to file a insurance claim what I would do is call Asurion and tell them my wife is prego (or make up a story) and say you need the phone NOW and they will do whats calls a Emergency Claim. Verizon will ring up a full retail storm at $499 (BRAND NEW) and they will provide a credit card over the phone for the VZW rep to charge this to. Asurion then gets the deductible from you over the phone. This way you know its BRAND NEW. I work in a VZW store and they will do this as long as its considered an "Emergency"
    And then sleep well at night knowing you lied just to get a "new" phone?
    05-15-09 12:52 AM
    thats awesome. insurance fraud FTW.
    05-15-09 01:47 AM
    It's still cheaper than AT&T, they want $150 deductible for BlackBerry's.
    05-15-09 09:42 AM
    yeah that sucks, but I am locked in at $50 for a long time.
    05-15-09 09:47 AM
    I Love Fraud it makes the world go round.
    05-15-09 09:53 AM
    and i'm pretty sure that VZW doesn't do "emergency claims" any more. they will file an in-house claim if you don't have insurance, other than that you have to call asurion. i believe they did away with all these extra policies when they were planning to eliminate 3rd party insurance support.
    05-15-09 10:43 AM
    I can't remember from claims I've filed in the past, do you need to return the damaged phone to Asurion? I do remember one that my son lost, we obviously couldn't return it. However, about 2 months later, someone tried to activate it at a VZW store. The "customer" then called me to tell me to meet him to get it back. I called Asurion then, who said to keep it. I later used it as a backup on another line and the ESN activated fine.

But $7.99/month plus $89 deductible, plus returning the damaged phone seems like a little much. At least you could sell a damaged one for parts on eBay to recoup some of the money.

And getting a refurb (and how crappy they can be, I DO remember, whether from Asurion or warranty replacements from VZW). At least a used phone from a seller with a good rating on eBay or HoFo, or even taking a chance on craigslist seems like a safer bet for getting a used or refurbished phone without more problems than you originally had.

Meh, I have NINE lines on my account, and insurance on SIX of them. So maybe this potential family plan might offset some of the expense...?
    05-28-09 10:43 PM
    +1 on being glad i got it when i did...

24 mo at $8 a month is $192 PLUS a $89 ded. is $281 if you end up having to use it...otherwise you're just out of $192

there is no way i'd do that

i plan on keeping the insurance until i qualify for the NE1 and then dropping it
    05-28-09 11:32 PM
    and i'm pretty sure that VZW doesn't do "emergency claims" any more. they will file an in-house claim if you don't have insurance, other than that you have to call asurion. i believe they did away with all these extra policies when they were planning to eliminate 3rd party insurance support.

Yep, emergency claims are still done.
    05-29-09 02:08 AM
    I can't remember from claims I've filed in the past, do you need to return the damaged phone to Asurion?

Meh, I have NINE lines on my account, and insurance on SIX of them. So maybe this potential family plan might offset some of the expense...?

Yes, you have to return it. They send a padded envelope to send it back to them.

And no, one line or 9 lines, the price is the same.
    05-29-09 02:12 AM
    I pay the insurance and have used it in the past. I have had to replace 2 phones, not blackberrys though, due to damage from regular use. Remember these companies are not charities they have a bottom line and will adjust to stay above red...
    05-29-09 02:15 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD