man, i'm glad i don't have to do the full disclosures anymore...even sitting through the IVR for the n00b customers to hit the "repeat" button at the end....i think i went a little bald working for VZW.
    05-14-09 02:06 AM
    this is bull****.. that is a ridiculous increase in prices... i am gonna start looking for another company to insure my phone once i upgrade. I mean if you loose your phone after 1 year, you would have paid near $200... i get upgrades every year and most of the nice phones are right at the $200 price point.. so i break even..
    05-14-09 02:16 AM
    Wow really? Glad I bought my Storm while I did. That seems kind of excessive for the smartphones.

Maybe if so many Storms weren't defective they wouldn't be losing so much money on them to begin with?
    First sentence--- agree

Second sentence--- agree even more.
    05-14-09 02:22 AM
    Funny they haven't sent us the memo yet...

I'm not seeing anything in infocenter either. Perhaps i'm blind, maybe because i'm tired.

I'm going to have a lot of pissed off customers.
    Haha, I might just be one of them one day...
    05-14-09 02:25 AM
    this is bull****.. that is a ridiculous increase in prices... i am gonna start looking for another company to insure my phone once i upgrade. I mean if you loose your phone after 1 year, you would have paid near $200... i get upgrades every year and most of the nice phones are right at the $200 price point.. so i break even..
    Don't hold your breath. Take the posters own words... This is not from Verizon, it's from Assurion. Assurion handles a lot of other carriers as well, so if there is any truth to any of this then it may only apply to a different carrier.

Verizon has not released any internal memo's or made any announcements.

If I was paying that much for insurance, I better as **** be getting a new phone when I file a claim.
    05-14-09 02:40 AM

Maybe if so many Storms weren't defective they wouldn't be losing so much money on them to begin with?
    Defects aren't covered by insurance, so your logic is flawed
    05-14-09 05:08 AM
    I didn't see this on there and I don't think anyone has mentioned this so far so I thought I would. Advanced device does not include just BB's and Winmo devices it also includes phones like the Dare and the Krave. By the way the initial post is 100% correct.
    05-14-09 06:37 AM
    Advanced Devices are devices that have a HTML browser apparently. Yes I work for Verizon and this change goes into effect 05/17
    05-14-09 07:00 AM
    i work for vzw and although the explanation from the assurion guy was good and it does make sense like akronevan said, i still think it sucks. especially that being even if your grandfathered in at the old plan as soon you upgrade you lose your $5.99 tec. Hopefully the family insurance plan which is launching will be alot better than this one.
    05-14-09 08:16 AM
    This is beyond ridiculous. A 90 dollar deductible on top of rate increases. Purest of bs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 08:31 AM
    If I was paying that much for insurance, I better as **** be getting a new phone when I file a claim.
    Read your insurance paperwork that you signed. It clearly states that they have the right to repair or provide you with a replacement that can be a refurb. Unless there are no refurbs available. Then they will replace it with a new one at their discretion.
    05-14-09 08:34 AM
    $200 is the price for new customers/customers who are upgrading. The full retail price is $519.99......you're better off with the insurance!!

A $90 deductible is crazy...given you pay $8 a month you'd be better off just buying a new phone @200 if it breaks...

I keep my phone safe but I like having that backup protection...this new plan sucks.

If only less people were dropping their Storms in the toilet...
    05-14-09 08:55 AM
    agreed w/ akronevan, and couldn't say it better myself.

I spoke with an Asurion rep face-to-face about a month ago and he actually said that despite the increase, it's STILL the cheapest in the industry.

oh, and to clarify - "advanced devices" include PDAs, and anything with a touchscreen and/or html browser.
    LOL. No it's not. Check out a company called protect cell. It's an insurance retailers sell so the customer has options. Basically you buy your coverage up front instead of monthly. Should something happen you go to a website and file a claim, pay deductible, get another working phone. Nice part is they will never drop you no matter how many times you file claims. Want to know more pm me.
    05-14-09 09:23 AM
    What is the difference between Asurion and WPP?
    05-14-09 09:30 AM
    Ouch, that's steep.
    05-14-09 09:36 AM
    Once I upgrade again I will be dropping my insurance simply out of principle. First they offer you 2 claims per year but if you file 2 claims in 1 year, ever, they drop you! It doesn't matter if you have had the insurance for 8 years and no claims...2 claims in 1 years = they drop you

BS. I am hoping a new company pops up to take advantage of a potentially lower price point and (excuse my french) f**k the market for the big boys.
    05-14-09 10:12 AM
    First of all I dont like the price increase, I think with the alltell merger there profit and bottom line should increase as it is, no need for a raise, this is just for pure profit...but I hope they take in account the number of people who are going to drop them as fast as they can when they did their calculations because I am sure alot of people will. Now to those who say this is from assurion and not verizon, are you telling me verizon has no negotiation power when they discuss their contracts? is Verizon that small of a company they have to bow down to pressure from bigger companies? nope they can set some rules and help their subscriber out and protect us, also is this increase just for verizon or is att coming out with the same rates? if its just verizon I would start questioning things....
    05-14-09 10:39 AM
    If you are mad about Asurion check this out!

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/grea...rranty-227760/
    05-14-09 10:40 AM
    LOL. No it's not. Check out a company called protect cell. It's an insurance retailers sell so the customer has options. Basically you buy your coverage up front instead of monthly. Should something happen you go to a website and file a claim, pay deductible, get another working phone. Nice part is they will never drop you no matter how many times you file claims. Want to know more pm me.
    um, lol yourself... this thread is about Asurion, and thus my statement is true in regards to Asurion. We weren't talking about other insurance providers, and this this since Protect Cell company you mentioned isn't included as an option with Verizon (it might be with indirect agents, which I won't mention my thoughts on that), then your statement is a moot point in here.

also, instead of trying to make it seem someone else is wrong by quoting off topic information, perhaps you should clarify first. that's just plain courtesy...
    05-14-09 10:41 AM
    um, lol yourself... this thread is about Asurion, and thus my statement is true in regards to Asurion. We weren't talking about other insurance providers, and this this since Protect Cell company you mentioned isn't included as an option with Verizon (it might be with indirect agents, which I won't mention my thoughts on that), then your statement is a moot point in here.

also, instead of trying to make it seem someone else is wrong by quoting off topic information, perhaps you should clarify first. that's just plain courtesy...
    actually you brought up other insurance providers when you said assurion is still the cheapest in the industry, you are comparing with others and he is saying no it isnt, to research this company..Also you shouldnt jump on him saying he is quoting off topic information, when really he was right on topic and providing a alternative for people who dont like to GASP save money and not get ripped off.

edit: woops is Asurion really spelt with one s, sorry my bad.
    05-14-09 10:48 AM
    this is just for pure profit...

are you telling me verizon has no negotiation power when they discuss their contracts?...

is this increase just for verizon or is att coming out with the same rates?...
    because capitalism is bad, m'kaaay? they are a for-profit company.

no, they don't. Asurion sets the prices, Verizon only does the billing. Verizon does not offer insurance, which is where Asurion comes in. Given the cost of the newer phones, these price changes should really come as no surprise to people. What's more, I'm sure Asurion is losing a lot of money having to replace $300-$600 phones (think Treos and HTCs) for $50 and not getting equipment back. Regardless of whether or not you get a refurb, they are losing money on that deal right there. Just like insurance for anything, companies make money on the premium, not the claim.

according to the Asurion rep I spoke with, even after this increase is in place it'll still be cheaper than other carriers. let me clarify - ASURION COVERAGE on Verizon will still be the cheapest in the domestic market.
    05-14-09 10:49 AM
    actually you brought up other insurance providers when you said assurion is still the cheapest in the industry, you are comparing with others and he is saying no it isnt, to research this company..Also you shouldnt jump on him saying he is quoting off topic information, when really he was right on topic and providing a alternative for people who dont like to GASP save money and not get ripped off.

edit: woops is Asurion really spelt with one s, sorry my bad.
    oh good lord... do you people not understand CONTEXT?!?!?!

ok, let me clarify AGAIN (this is getting ridiculous)::

despite the price increases for Asurion on Verizon, Asurion's premium and/or deductible will still be the cheapest for all cellular carriers (at least w/in the U.S.). By this I mean that if you have Sprint, TMo, ATT, Rural Cellular, Airtouch, GTE, Alltel, whoever the >blank< you have... if you ahve Asurion insurance, the cost on Verizon will be cheaper.

I was not comparing with other insurance providers because - gasp - verizon doesn't offer coverage with those providers. If an indirect dealer does it as a 3rd party option for additional cost, then that is a deal with the indirect dealer and not Verizon.
    05-14-09 10:55 AM
    because capitalism is bad, m'kaaay? they are a for-profit company.

no, they don't. Asurion sets the prices, Verizon only does the billing. Verizon does not offer insurance, which is where Asurion comes in. Given the cost of the newer phones, these price changes should really come as no surprise to people. What's more, I'm sure Asurion is losing a lot of money having to replace $300-$600 phones (think Treos and HTCs) for $50 and not getting equipment back. Regardless of whether or not you get a refurb, they are losing money on that deal right there. Just like insurance for anything, companies make money on the premium, not the claim.

according to the Asurion rep I spoke with, even after this increase is in place it'll still be cheaper than other carriers. let me clarify - ASURION COVERAGE on Verizon will still be the cheapest in the domestic market.
    hmmm so Verizon has to take it up the pooper huh? I dont think you know how business works my friend, and about your claims of it being the cheapest in the industry..here ya go

Wireless Phone Insurance | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

and I just checked att not anyone else.
    05-14-09 10:56 AM

And then what happens if you need another phone tomorrow? You'll be paying $500. Insurance is always like that. If you don't use it, it is always a ripoff, but if you need it, it is worth it.
    05-14-09 11:03 AM
    And then what happens if you need another phone tomorrow? You'll be paying $500. Insurance is always like that. If you don't use it, it is always a ripoff, but if you need it, it is worth it.
    theres a difference between being worth it and being screwed by the insurance companies, Trust me, I am wondering if we can find asurions profit margins online to see if they REALLY are hurting.
    05-14-09 11:17 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD