Just a FYI

Once you upgrade or get new service after 05/17 and you select to have insurance on your phone, you will now have to select a different insurance plan. They are as follows:

Total Equipment Protection:
    $7.99 per month (advanced devices)

This will include extended warranty from Verizon and Asurion coverage with a $89 Deductible (for lost, stolen, physical damaged phones)

$5.99 per month (non advanced devices)
    This will include extended warranty Verizon and Asurion coverage with a $39 Deductible (for lost, stolen, physical damaged phones)

WPP Protection
    $6.00 per month (advanced devices)

This will cover lost, stolen, physical damaged phones with a $89 deductible

$4.49 per month (non advanced devices)
    This will cover lost, stolen, physical damaged phones with a $39 deductible
    Last edited by akitchens; 05-13-09 at 10:31 PM.
    05-13-09 10:29 PM
    Wow really? Glad I bought my Storm while I did. That seems kind of excessive for the smartphones.

Maybe if so many Storms weren't defective they wouldn't be losing so much money on them to begin with?
    05-13-09 10:31 PM
    They changed the rates?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 10:31 PM
    By the way... If you currently have insurance on your phone, the deductible will stay at $50 until you upgrade...
    05-13-09 10:32 PM
    Money grubbin mother frackers!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 10:54 PM
    A $90 deductible is crazy...given you pay $8 a month you'd be better off just buying a new phone @200 if it breaks...

I keep my phone safe but I like having that backup protection...this new plan sucks.

If only less people were dropping their Storms in the toilet...
    05-13-09 10:54 PM
    Agreed. 90 dollars seems very excessive. Also at 8 bucks a month! I'm glad I still have 18 months left on my contract!
    05-13-09 10:58 PM
    That pi$$es me off bad. I'm better off not getting insurance at all considering I've used it one time in over 4 years and thats with 3 lines of service. Screw Asurion.
    05-13-09 11:33 PM
    I hate to be the one that says it, but look at it like this: you would pay $96 per year for the insurance, your deductible is $90, your phone is worth about $500 retail value. So you can either pay the $186 for a replacement phone after one year or have to pay full price $500. Granted you will not have paid the full one year because you will be able to upgrade after one year. So we are getting off pretty cheap imho.
    05-13-09 11:45 PM
    I hate to be the one that says it, but look at it like this: you would pay $96 per year for the insurance, your deductible is $90, your phone is worth about $500 retail value. So you can either pay the $186 for a replacement phone after one year or have to pay full price $500. Granted you will not have paid the full one year because you will be able to upgrade after one year. So we are getting off pretty cheap imho.
    Oh, I agree and understand what you're saying. All im saying is that based on my past history, I would be better off not paying the monthly insurance and just pay it all upfront.
    05-13-09 11:48 PM
    agreed w/ akronevan, and couldn't say it better myself.

I spoke with an Asurion rep face-to-face about a month ago and he actually said that despite the increase, it's STILL the cheapest in the industry.

oh, and to clarify - "advanced devices" include PDAs, and anything with a touchscreen and/or html browser.
    05-13-09 11:53 PM
    Maybe if so many Storms weren't defective they wouldn't be losing so much money on them to begin with?
    insurance is mostly used for lost, stolen, broken. defects and malfunctions are covered by the carrier. the carrier gets $0 for insurance, they just apply the charge to the bill.
    05-13-09 11:55 PM
    I am not a mathematical genius or anything but I did the math and it would take you 4.27 years of paying assurion to equal the amount of money that the storm is now currently worth. So cenloe just keep paying the insurance it is everyone's best bet.
    05-13-09 11:59 PM
    do you work for Verizon? I do, and I haven't heard of any of this yet, but who knows.
    05-14-09 12:00 AM
    It could be worse. It was $5.99 a month with T-Mobile and the PDA devices such as a G1 or BlackBerry have a $130 replacement fee from Asurion.
    05-14-09 12:07 AM
    do you work for Verizon? I do, and I haven't heard of any of this yet, but who knows.
    yes I do, and it hasn't been released yet to reps. I spoke w/ an Asurion rep at my center.
    05-14-09 12:10 AM
    I think if they raise rates like that they should at least replace the broken or lost phones with new ones not refurbs!! I don't mind paying more but it seems like they are just taking advantage.
    05-14-09 12:23 AM
    Funny they haven't sent us the memo yet...

I'm not seeing anything in infocenter either. Perhaps i'm blind, maybe because i'm tired.

I'm going to have a lot of pissed off customers.
    05-14-09 12:26 AM
    Don't believe everything you hear!
    05-14-09 12:26 AM
    Funny they haven't sent us the memo yet...

I'm not seeing anything in infocenter either. Perhaps i'm blind, maybe because i'm tired.

I'm going to have a lot of pissed off customers.
    infocenter? do you mean infomanager?! wow... you MUST be tired.

memos haven't gone out yet. as I said - I talked to the Asurion rep personally.

and I don't know why they'd be pissed. people who are just adding insurance won't know any difference, and those who are renewing with the new insurance will just have to be explained that they are increasing the prices because devices are getting more advanced, and thus more expensive. Just use the Storm as a perfect example... You can pay $500 if something happens, or just $89. Even if you claim after 1 year, it's STILL cheaper. Not to mention, as has been said in the other thread, the higher prices are still cheaper than any other company.
    05-14-09 12:29 AM
    Don't believe everything you hear!
    I'm not believing this yet. As they are usually very quick to inform us indirect agents. We have not gotten any memo's and the indirect agent verizon website does not display any information about updated policies regarding insurance.
    05-14-09 12:31 AM
    probably because today is the 13th (soon to be 14th) and the changes don't go into effect until the 17th.

just wait... it'll happen. well, unless there's been some kind of delay.
    05-14-09 12:33 AM
    infocenter? do you mean infomanager?! wow... you MUST be tired.

memos haven't gone out yet. as I said - I talked to the Asurion rep personally.

and I don't know why they'd be pissed. people who are just adding insurance won't know any difference, and those who are renewing with the new insurance will just have to be explained that they are increasing the prices because devices are getting more advanced, and thus more expensive. Just use the Storm as a perfect example... You can pay $500 if something happens, or just $89. Even if you claim after 1 year, it's STILL cheaper. Not to mention, as has been said in the other thread, the higher prices are still cheaper than any other company.
    Infocenter is what Indirect Agent's use, accessed via Eroes/SHOPP. I'm not that tired.

Assurion has such bad rep as it is with the phones they send out. I've had many customers get ones that are beyond cosmetically acceptable, or have severe hardware problems. One of my customers received a storm with a leaked OS on it. So it goes to show how "good" their quality control really is.

$89 for a refurbished phone that may or may not work as well as a previous one is a lot to be paying on top of the increased monthly fee's. A used storm can be had for $300 on craigslist and you get to see and feel it before you fork over any cash.

On less expensive phones, it's hardly worth it. Seeing as the full retail on most phones is generally less than $300 and they can be had for much less used. $89 on top of the monthy fee and you end up paying for a new phone after a year. (Even on "Advanced Devices" such as the LG Dare, LG Voyager, etc.
    Last edited by Ravr; 05-14-09 at 12:38 AM.
    05-14-09 12:35 AM
    just wait... it'll happen. well, unless there's been some kind of delay.
    LMAO! You mean like the "some kind of delay" in a software upgrade?
    05-14-09 12:41 AM
    LMAO! You mean like the "some kind of delay" in a software upgrade?
    nice. haha
    05-14-09 12:58 AM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD