I beg the differ the last .75 that was leaked was 500 kilobytes smaller and it .exe not verizon.exe, because i checked them both on my computer and compared them with the official.75.
    thats simply because of Verizon branding...my guess is on the vendor.xml file
    01-04-09 07:21 PM
    rumors are around the 16th of Jan. i currently have the leaked and its ok.
    I am looking for the link to the leaked upgrade can someone help? Thanks
    01-04-09 08:32 PM
    I am looking for the link to the leaked upgrade can someone help? Thanks
    Did you try the official .85 leak thread that is stickied at the top of this subforum?

Edit: Okay, my mistake, it seems to have been de-stickied, but it's still floating about if you check the first page listings or search.
    Last edited by bigman2; 01-04-09 at 08:38 PM.
    01-04-09 08:36 PM
    While I respect the opinion of our moderator,I just feel people on the forums seem to take his word as the holy gospel just because he says so,I would like anyone to give some type of reasonable proof that they are both the same,I just disagreed because some people reported even more problems with the leaked updates,even to the point of downgrading back to .75,I don't see people having so much problems with the official .75 that they are downgrading to.63,therefore I just find hard to believe that leaked and official releases are the same.
    01-07-09 07:00 PM
    While I respect the opinion of our moderator,I just feel people on the forums seem to take his word as the holy gospel just because he says so,I would like anyone to give some type of reasonable proof that they are both the same,I just disagreed because some people reported even more problems with the leaked updates,even to the point of downgrading back to .75,I don't see people having so much problems with the official .75 that they are downgrading to.63,therefore I just find hard to believe that leaked and official releases are the same.
    but I tend to wonder how much of that is due to user error...and sometimes things just don't go right. I mean honestly I have seen people who have problems with offical .75 that I never had with leaked .75. and I see people that have problems with leaked .85 that i don't have with leaked .85. if reading these fourms has shown me anything every storm is a beautiful and unique snowflake
    01-07-09 09:16 PM
    Leaked .75 was no different then official .75. Compare same versions. Verizon will not release .85, you can bet on that. It has some prominent issues. .86 is a possibility, but we won't know until it's out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 09:41 PM
    I beg the differ the last .75 that was leaked was 500 kilobytes smaller and it .exe not verizon.exe, because i checked them both on my computer and compared them with the official.75.
    thats simply because of Verizon branding...my guess is on the vendor.xml file

As Don said. The Vendor Xml file is empty in betas. However, not for Official releases. My point was theres absolutely no difference in performance between betas and official releases.
    01-07-09 09:46 PM
    It has been said a hundred times on here....There is no difference between 85beta and if verizon were to release it officially...none whatsoever!!!...If verizon were to fix issues on 85 and then release it...it would then become a different number ie... 88 or 89 or 90....or something like that. 85 is 85 is 85 whether its beta or officially released. I would download it..its suppose to be the best one.
    I'm sorry to contradict you but THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. With the leaked versions, they have not been FULLY tested by Verizon so there can be risk involved. Also, if you do have issues after downloading a leaked OS and need help, your warranty is no longer valid. I have also decided to wait for the official release, obviously.
    01-07-09 09:53 PM
    I'm sorry to contradict you but THERE IS A DIFFERENCE. With the leaked versions, they have not been FULLY tested by Verizon so there can be risk involved. Also, if you do have issues after downloading a leaked OS and need help, your warranty is no longer valid. I have also decided to wait for the official release, obviously.
    but his point was then it wouldn't be .85 anymore...it would be .86 or higher..if verizon tests .85 says it good to go(which doesn't seem likely) they release it...if not they tell rim it failed or was denied...in which case RIM fixes or attempts to fix what VZW told them they would need to in order to pass inspection, which becomes a different build all together and no longer .85
    01-07-09 10:03 PM
    Why not just stick to the offical in the first place. I dont have any problems with it. Just take it as if were another phone besides blackberry with a permanint OS. Look at it like that
    01-07-09 10:09 PM
    There's no difference in the CODE! That's what we're talking about here, not the face value differences you're obviously stating.
    01-08-09 12:44 AM
    listen to civic she is right.

the os doesnt get leaked till the carriers get it.

so it would make sense that if rim gives verizon .75, while its in testing with verizon it gets leaked. if verizon releases the SAME point release (.75) then its the same as the leak.

its not like rim is working on .75, leak it in the middle, keeps working on it, and then keeps it .75. it doesnt work that way.

notice you are installing nicely packaged software all ready to go, your not compiling some source code ripped off a svn.
    01-08-09 01:19 AM
    If issues occur with the Leaked OS, it will occur with the Official. Only difference are Vendor files, once approved by the carrier, they will put their Vendor file on there instead of the one from RIM.

If people are concerned about returning it with a Leaked OS, just do a wipe.
    01-08-09 01:57 AM
    Then how about one more? I'm inclined to believe Crucial when he says that there is no difference between them, but if someone can provide proof to the contrary... So if you have that evidence let's see it. Put up the evidence, and then describe the process by which you came about it so others can test it. Otherwise, I think it will be safe for everyone to assume that you're just making this all up.

And not to nitpick overly, but wouldn't release candidate be a far more accurate term than "beta" to describe these releases? Beta tends to imply that it's not yet finished, while release candidate suggests that short of some nasty bug being found at the 11th hour, it's ready for widespread distribution.
    Being that it was only intended for Beta testers its Beta software. If it was intentionally "leaked" then perhaps release candidate would be a good name the the "lean" nomenclature could go away. However from what I've been seeing lately I don't feel that this unit is up to par with what I've seen with other new release Blackberries. So as far as RIM is considered this code has a good bit of growing before i think many die hard RIM engineers will even start to consider it a release.
    01-08-09 04:39 AM
    First off I can assure you all that RIM doesn't send code to Verizon. They send compiled operating systems and perhaps a repackager. This allows VZW to test things out and perhaps edit the vendor.xml and maybe a few other things in a very protected sandbox for the vendor. Then they can bundle it all back up and ship it as their own.

If RIM allowed multiple vastly different copies of .75 out into the wild they have broken so many software engineering rules its not even funny. Assume RIM is doing their job right and that if you see .75 on a release that its freakin .75 if it came from VZW its .75 with their wallpapers and junk added in there. If its .75 and it came from a leak well we know that its being developed for VZW for the most part at the moment and there was a Vendor.xml in that leak so no big deal...

Its the same thing as if you were to buy a laptop. If you buy a laptop from HP or from Dell and order them both with Windows XP SP3 you're going to have the same OS on each one. What differences there are are not going to make night and day performance issues.

The only consolation that I have to make here is that often when someone has issues they ask what third party apps they are running. And if you have more than 3 they think wow you're running a LOT. Honestly I don't feel that having a few apps on the device should affect performance (unless you're stupid and leaving them all open all the time). Beyond that if just having them on the device affects performance there is no way we'll live that down with iPhone fanboys in the room cause their phones do it right and its not only because the iPhone won't multi task. It only does one task at a time cause iPhone users aren't smart enough to not have everything open all at once.
    01-08-09 04:50 AM
    I am a total newbie and have been curious about .85. Just what exactly are the anticipated benefits of this OS update. Is it something we will see benefit from right away in everyday use, or will it only be for certain applications. My .75 has been buggy and I have been thinking about the leaked .85, but I am gonna wait for the official release. Any opinions on this????? Thanks.
    01-08-09 06:06 PM
    It has been said a hundred times on here....There is no difference between 85beta and if verizon were to release it officially...none whatsoever!!!...If verizon were to fix issues on 85 and then release it...it would then become a different number ie... 88 or 89 or 90....or something like that. 85 is 85 is 85 whether its beta or officially released. I would download it..its suppose to be the best one.
    Obviously, there can is no proof either way of whether the versions will be different, as neither side can provide a valid argument or any shred of proof. On the other hand, there is rumor that 85 will not be released and is merely a stepping stone to the next OS to be released. I know the company I work for, we do not update the version numbers when working out smaller software bugs. That being said, this has become a pointless argument. If verizon is pushing though an official update around mid-Jan, I would wait for it (whatever the version number may be). There's no point in messing with a non-supported version right now and getting a headache over it. I would much rather just wait a few days.
    01-09-09 03:00 PM
    The only consolation that I have to make here is that often when someone has issues they ask what third party apps they are running. And if you have more than 3 they think wow you're running a LOT. Honestly I don't feel that having a few apps on the device should affect performance (unless you're stupid and leaving them all open all the time). Beyond that if just having them on the device affects performance there is no way we'll live that down with iPhone fanboys in the room cause their phones do it right and its not only because the iPhone won't multi task. It only does one task at a time cause iPhone users aren't smart enough to not have everything open all at once.
    I like the knock at the iPhone users bthoward. Getting really tired of hearing how I bought a POS, when in reality, my first BB experience has been excellent. Given the first OS was a little buggy, but I haven't heard about a smartphone that hasn't had the same problem.
    Last edited by doublebob; 01-09-09 at 03:36 PM.
    01-09-09 03:24 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD