Does anyone know when verizon will possible release the 85 upgrade for the storm? Mine currently has 75 but I am somewhat concerned about downloading 85 if it is not through verizon.

Thanks
    01-04-09 10:44 AM
    rumors are around the 16th of Jan. i currently have the leaked and its ok.
    01-04-09 10:45 AM
    I'd def hold out until its officially released through Verizon. The leaked versions run ok for a while, but they eventually get buggy. I had the leaked .83 and had a lot of issues and then I loaded the leaked .85 and it worked great for 2 days then went crazy! I have since reloaded .75 and I will wait patiently for the finalized version.

When they say "install at your own risk"...they REALLY mean it! LOL

Good luck!
    01-04-09 10:53 AM
    I don't think .85 will be an official verizon release, most likely it will be .86+. I understand your fear of downloading it when it's not from vzw, but I started to worry less when I saw hundreds of people testing and using it.
    01-04-09 10:54 AM
    .85 is ok. i've had it for about a week now and no issues. maybe occasional freezing of the phone but that lasts about 3 or 4 seconds but everything else is good. id just wait for the official.
    01-04-09 10:55 AM
    Just download the leaked version. It works great. I had some reservations too, but my upgrade went through without any complications. Give it a try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 10:57 AM
    I'm with you. I'm going to wait untill the next official version. Enough people seem to be testing .85 and having issues that I can wait, and .75 seems to be mostly stable (accept for the camera lag and the intermittent appearance of the progress bar in the music player).
    01-04-09 10:57 AM
    It has been said a hundred times on here....There is no difference between 85beta and if verizon were to release it officially...none whatsoever!!!...If verizon were to fix issues on 85 and then release it...it would then become a different number ie... 88 or 89 or 90....or something like that. 85 is 85 is 85 whether its beta or officially released. I would download it..its suppose to be the best one.
    01-04-09 11:01 AM
    I'm another one that will wait for the official release,people on these forums would have you believe that there is no difference in leaked and official updates but I beg to differ,time and time again,the numerous posts prove otherwise.

01-04-09 11:14 AM
    I'd def hold out until its officially released through Verizon. The leaked versions run ok for a while, but they eventually get buggy. I had the leaked .83 and had a lot of issues and then I loaded the leaked .85 and it worked great for 2 days then went crazy! I have since reloaded .75 and I will wait patiently for the finalized version.

Good luck!
    Well said.
    01-04-09 11:15 AM
    .85 worked great for me for three - four days and now it freezes frequently. When I do a battery pull, half the time I get the "media card inserted" screen of death. As of yesterday, I have also been getting the java and feature can't load startup errors. I certainly hope that .85 doesn't become official

01-04-09 11:25 AM
    I'm another one that will wait for the official release,people on these forums would have you believe that there is no difference in leaked and official updates but I beg to differ,time and time again,the numerous posts prove otherwise.
    Then how about one more? I'm inclined to believe Crucial when he says that there is no difference between them, but if someone can provide proof to the contrary... So if you have that evidence let's see it. Put up the evidence, and then describe the process by which you came about it so others can test it. Otherwise, I think it will be safe for everyone to assume that you're just making this all up.

And not to nitpick overly, but wouldn't release candidate be a far more accurate term than "beta" to describe these releases? Beta tends to imply that it's not yet finished, while release candidate suggests that short of some nasty bug being found at the 11th hour, it's ready for widespread distribution.
    01-04-09 11:25 AM
    i too would love to see evidence too...the only way you could prove this right now is with the leaked and the official .75
    01-04-09 11:34 AM
    It has been said a hundred times on here....There is no difference between 85beta and if verizon were to release it officially...none whatsoever!!!...If verizon were to fix issues on 85 and then release it...it would then become a different number ie... 88 or 89 or 90....or something like that. 85 is 85 is 85 whether its beta or officially released. I would download it..its suppose to be the best one.
    Agreed!!! If changes are made to the release leaked or not it would have a different build number, and .85 works great for me, and if your that concerned with it just roll back when an official release comes out and let DM update for you then, but I am convinced when an official release does come out it will be a higher build number .86 or higher, so update will still happen as designed through DM.
    01-04-09 11:35 AM
    First you're confusing build number with version number, but in either case there's no hard and fast rule about how that all works. It's up to individual developers to come up with some kind of system, and it's also up to the individual developers to decide if they want to stick to that system or not.

Just as an example, RIM could up and decide that instead of .86 they want to call it 4.7.1.0, 4.8, or even 5.0. There's nothing stopping them from doing this, since it's up to them to decide just how significant the chances were and if they warrant a larger version bump. Version numbers do not hold the kind of significance you're attaching to them.

BTW, it's nothing personal, just trying to keep people from getting the wrong idea about things. Just like how some people seem to think that if a version number ends in 5 it will automatically be an official release from Verizon.
    01-04-09 12:19 PM
    Honestly, there aren't any real show stoppers with .75 that would make me get the unofficial .85 release. I'm shocked that so many here show so much impatience and need to get their 'crack fix'. I'm gratified that the release will be available within the next several weeks and can certainly wait for it.

It's good to read about your assessments, very helpful, thanks.
    01-04-09 12:24 PM
    mac user patiently awaiting the ota release. im sure that my wireless upgrade option is getting sick of me selecting it so often
    01-04-09 02:29 PM

Good luck!

There is absolutely no difference between the leaked version and the official version of the OS. They are the same.
    01-04-09 03:06 PM
    People just don't understand how build numbers work....
    01-04-09 03:53 PM
    People just don't understand how build numbers work....
    Let me see if I can help with that. I'm speaking from general knowledge here, not specifics of how the BB works, but the concepts are pretty common...

In most real-time software development environments everyone works off of a "baseline" - normally the latest "production" release. [in the case of the Storm, that'd be BUILD .75].

Then, every developer has their own "sandbox" (development environment) where they work on their section of the code. So one developer might be working on the calendar, another on the camera, another on media player, etc. They all have 'deadlines' or 'target dates' based on the commitments of their management for production of the next release.

When each developer has their piece of the code done, they do what's called "unit testing" where they determine if their code works within the 'code base'.

When all the developers have submitted their piece of the code, they're "merged" into a new 'beta' which then goes through "system testing". That's where pre-production code is tested to make sure what one developer wrote and submitted doesn't kill another part of the code - THIS is a DIFFICULT process, because EVERYTHING has to be tested. The test plans are large and complex, and in a device as complex as the Storm, this is probably a pretty major undertaking. This is the stage at which most code gets a "build number", that we would see. So what we see as (for example) 4.7.0.85, means this is probably the 85th "merge" of builds based on the 4.7.0 code.

Then, before code is released to "production", it goes out to a cadre of 'beta testers' (unlike I've teased about, WE are not them), who are general experts on the devices and applications, and who (as Pete said in another post) are probably under a pretty strict NDA.

Only after system testing and field beta testing is complete, will the carrier do "production certification" and eventually release the code to their paying subscribers (US).

This is also why we see big "skips" in the code we see. The "Storm" was released on 11/21 with 4.7.0.63, the next release I saw was .75. That probably means there were 12 merges between the codes, 11 of them didn't make it past "System Test", or some level of 'beta'. So when we're operating on ".85" and people talk about a ".86" it's actually pretty unrealistic that this much time would have passed and only 1 incremental merge would have taken place. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4.7.0.1xx code be the next version we see (although it could be in the .9x range...). We may also see a new "point release" a 4.8.x.x or something like that. Generally development of a "point release" is based on some new functionality. If we see a 5.x.x.x it will be a "major release" which is likely a total (or near total) revamp of the code - either based on new hardware, or a significant change in basic functionality (in this case, not what we see, but how the hardware works).

If this was all too deep, you now know why my "handle" is "Enginerd". Hope this helps some...
    01-04-09 04:14 PM
    There is absolutely no difference between the leaked version and the official version of the OS. They are the same.
    I beg the differ the last .75 that was leaked was 500 kilobytes smaller and it .exe not verizon.exe, because i checked them both on my computer and compared them with the official.75.
    01-04-09 04:34 PM
    rumors are around the 16th of Jan. i currently have the leaked and its ok.
    If that's the case, it had better be a good upgrade. If you're not happy with it you'll be stuck with the phone (having conveniently missed the 15th return window).
    01-04-09 05:19 PM
    Everyone talks about leaked and 'official' versions being the same. That is probably true. But the leaked versions are NOT officially released and probably for a good reason. An OS is not a monolithic thing: it is a collection of a lot of smaller parts, each of which can have a differing effect on the whole. I think there is a reason we haven't seen another 'official' release yet. They need to run down all the bugs, do the regression testing to make sure they haven't broken something else, get it reasonably stable, and then they can put a stake in the ground and release to all of us. I applaud all those who are willing to test less stable versions, but I can't conceive of giving my wife an unsupported version. Even though we have a vibrant community here, I have to believe we probably represent a very small percentage of the total Storm users out there. They are the ones who Verizon really needs to target, specifically because they are clueless. If I upgrade my phone, my wife wants the same, so I am staying put until everything is official and supported. :-)
    01-04-09 06:23 PM
    Everyone talks about leaked and 'official' versions being the same. That is probably true. But the leaked versions are NOT officially released and probably for a good reason. An OS is not a monolithic thing: it is a collection of a lot of smaller parts, each of which can have a differing effect on the whole. I think there is a reason we haven't seen another 'official' release yet. They need to run down all the bugs, do the regression testing to make sure they haven't broken something else, get it reasonably stable, and then they can put a stake in the ground and release to all of us. I applaud all those who are willing to test less stable versions, but I can't conceive of giving my wife an unsupported version. Even though we have a vibrant community here, I have to believe we probably represent a very small percentage of the total Storm users out there. They are the ones who Verizon really needs to target, specifically because they are clueless. If I upgrade my phone, my wife wants the same, so I am staying put until everything is official and supported. :-)
    It's a lot simpler than that. Verizon, and the other carriers, haven't signed off on any of the leaked builds and blessed them as official. That's really all there is to it, unless you want to get into why none of the carriers have blessed the build yet, and that would be pure speculation. All we can say for sure is that something in the testing the carriers do has held things up kept them from blessing any of these builds as official.

The unofficial status of the leaked builds really has nothing to do with the overall quality of the build. I don't know how many times Crucial has to say it, but RIM creates a new build after fixing a few things here and there, and then they send it off to the carriers. The carriers then do some of their own internal testing, and if they like it, it gets labeled as an official release and slated for distribution. Otherwise they pass and wait for another build from RIM. There isn't this big elaborate process involved, and RIM isn't distributing beta code since they haven't introduced a single new feature since the Storm launched, just fixed bugs and tuned performance. If it helps, think of them as release candidates instead of betas. It's purely semantics, but semantics can have a rather profound impact.
    01-04-09 07:01 PM

Good luck!
    When they do release an upgrade hopefully it will be higher than .85 because there will be NO change at all to .85. Once RIM sends a build, in this case .85, to VZW there is NO change what so ever to the build. If VZW certifies it then it gets released in its original state. If they do not it will be rejected and VZW will sit back and wait for the next build that RIM gives them.
    01-04-09 07:16 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD