Im going on a cruise to the Carribian for 9 days in 2 weeks for my spring break and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to stay ontop of work, caught up with crackberry of cource, and stay intouch with people. The cruise line charges $.55 a min for internet and vzw has crazy roaming charges down there.

any ideas greatly appreciated.
    03-11-09 03:32 PM
    Im going on a cruise to the Carribian for 9 days in 2 weeks for my spring break and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to stay ontop of work, caught up with crackberry of cource, and stay intouch with people. The cruise line charges $.55 a min for internet and vzw has crazy roaming charges down there.

any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Put the phone down, you're on vacation....

My GF's parents are paying for a cruise for her and I down there in June for her graduation/bday and I plan on changing my voicemail to "I'm on vacation, go away".

I don't need a phone, just plenty of Long Islands and sun.
    03-11-09 03:33 PM
    Put the phone down, you're on vacation....

My GF's parents are paying for a cruise for her and I down there in June for her graduation/bday and I plan on changing my voicemail to "I'm on vacation, go away".

I don't need a phone, just plenty of Long Islands and sun.
    this is true, but there is still atleast one person that it would be really nice to stay in contact with b/c its a long cruise.
    03-11-09 03:38 PM
    this is true, but there is still atleast one person that it would be really nice to stay in contact with b/c its a long cruise.
    The man upstairs? You don't need a phone for that
    03-11-09 03:42 PM
    The man upstairs? You don't need a phone for that
    nope actually atheist, but...no my girl.
    03-11-09 03:58 PM
    nope actually atheist, but...no my girl.
    Oh... lol Take her with you
    03-11-09 04:10 PM
    yea...i wish
    03-11-09 05:14 PM
    03-12-09 07:52 AM
    I'm curious about this as well...but I haven't been curious enough to look stuff up about this.

I think though since you are leaving the country, you would have to go through the hassle of getting your sim card activated...or whatever it is that they do. And be prepared to pay a pretty penny for that. It's not going to be anything like this bears fan...but if you get curious enough to call Verizon and find out, please post your findings...I'm going on a cruise on the 21st, so I'm curious about this myself, only difference is my wife made me take her.
    03-12-09 08:11 AM
    I'm curious about this as well...but I haven't been curious enough to look stuff up about this.

I think though since you are leaving the country, you would have to go through the hassle of getting your sim card activated...or whatever it is that they do. And be prepared to pay a pretty penny for that. It's not going to be anything like this bears fan...but if you get curious enough to call Verizon and find out, please post your findings...I'm going on a cruise on the 21st, so I'm curious about this myself, only difference is my wife made me take her.
    Already called vzw and they said it costs around $65 a month for the international plan, i tried to find out what it would be for just the week but nobody would give me a straight awnser. I dont really want to pay for a whole month when il only be away for a week, but we'll see...
    03-12-09 08:16 AM
    Already called vzw and they said it costs around $65 a month for the international plan, i tried to find out what it would be for just the week but nobody would give me a straight awnser. I dont really want to pay for a whole month when il only be away for a week, but we'll see...
    I think there are also other fees as well, like usage per minute fees. I had a user who had a client in the UK and we added the plan and you can cancel it at anytime. The job never really came to fruition so we canceled the plan in about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if it was pro-rated or not since I don't get the bills. They did say that the per minute usage would be a different rate.
    03-12-09 08:30 AM
    I'm pretty sure a rep said something about it being pro rated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 08:46 AM
    03-12-09 11:28 AM
    You could call VZW Global Support and ask them for an unlock code, then once your Storm is unlocked you could buy a cheap prepaid SIM down there to use while you are away. It probably won't have data thou, but you should still be able to make calls.

As for the Global plan you would cancel it as soon as you got back and then the charge would be prorated. People do that all the time with tethering.
    03-12-09 02:30 PM
    So what does that mean by prorated...? Lol

03-12-09 03:32 PM
    I just went to cancun, and I called vzw beforr I left, and they prorated the 65 dollar fee. Cost me an additional 20 dollars.

03-12-09 06:22 PM
    For data using VZW is a slam dunk. Sign up for the international plan and it really only costs the prorated difference between $65 and your current data plan cost. It is not an additional $65 prorated. The voice service is where you will have the biggest challenge because you are on a cruise.
    For my experience using a Storm when I went to Jamaica do a search. VZW was great for me.

03-15-09 06:58 AM
    So what does that mean by prorated...? Lol

prorated means they may quote a rate based on monthly charges, but you only pay for the % you used. ex. they charge $65 per month for the int'l plan, but you only use a 1/2 month of it, so you only pay 32.50.

That's not what they're going to charge, just a simple example, and they usually use more complicated formulas (usually a fixed cost plus a variable cost based on the time/amount of data used, etc.)

hopefully that makes sense. however i would highly recommend just putting your phone down and enjoying yourself. if you want to stay in touch with your girl and she's not going with you, keep a simple journal to give to her as a nice gift when you get back.
    03-15-09 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD